Archerfield emergency?

Drew

I lusted over that beautiful little plane when it was on eBay. I have never seen it in the flesh but I would love to. Glad to see the pilot unhurt and hope the aircraft makes a full recovery.

If you look closely bandit you can see his right/far side undercarriage missing the splat and hanging lower than the left or near side, looks to me like he was trying to spare the right side undercarriage, maybe it was unserviceable for some reason or another

• Agree 1

If you look closely bandit you can see his right/far side undercarriage missing the splat and hanging lower than the left or near side, looks to me like he was trying to spare the right side undercarriage, maybe it was unserviceable for some reason or another

I've watched it a couple of times, and can now see the missing spat. But why the roll/yaw to the left so quickly? Maybe just overcontrolling when trying to keep the right wheel off? It looked like a beautiful aircraft.

Ahh if you clear the wax out and listen to the lady talk you may pick up on what went wrong.

The audio jumps a bit but sounds like he hit something on take off else where. sounded like maybe a bull? then she said 'when he arrived at Archerfield'. So he flew in with the problem from elsewhere. And Emergency services where waiting and obviously there was time to get the cameras in the media helicopter into position.

It did look to me like it stalled and dropped in on the left... Apparently she was a feisty girl and much loved by all who rode her...did you see the pilot give her an affectionate pat?

I think you're on the money... But as they say, "any landing you walk away from..."

Read elsewhere this incident apparently started at YDUN. Did an approach/touch and go and things went south and left a few bits on the runway.

Headed for YBAF, bigger runway and emergency services. Pilot OK good outcome all things considered.

I thought hard about that plane too, it was right behind mine (in the same hangar as Mark), and a nice price! I think he landed well, and obviously thought about what he was doing and where he was going. I am glad he walked away and maybe it can be repaired as it looked pretty intact.

• 1 month later...

I used to own 19-4424 for a few years while it was at Caboolture. You guys are pretty right about what happened, it was damaged on landing at Dunwich, flown back to Jacobs Well, where the new owner was advised to fly it to Archerfield and attempt a landing due to availability of services. As far as I been informed, the "Ol' Diva" stalled just prior to touch down, while shutting off the fuel selector and mixture. Not a pretty sight, but those few who have flown the plane know, that he did very well. Best of all, just heard yesterday....she is being rebuilt! :-)

• Like 2