Gday

Roscoe

Hi Roscoe & 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif!

Tell us a bit about yourself, eg where do you fly from? How long have you been flying etc

Sorry - can't help wrt the Jabiru as I have no experience of Jabs....

Cheers,

Neil

Hi Roscoe & 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif!Tell us a bit about yourself, eg where do you fly from? How long have you been flying etc

Sorry - can't help wrt the Jabiru as I have no experience of Jabs....

Cheers,

Neil

Hi Neil

GA Pilot since 1967. In process of obtaining RAA Certificate.

Based in Sydney and fly from Bankstown. have a massive 2 hours in the Jab J170.

All the reviews i have read so far have been positive, so just looking for comments from existing Jab 170 operators good and bad.

Kind Regards

Roscoe

Welcome Roscoe.

Have a 230 but trained in a 170. Both slightly different to each other in power and handling. If I was not looking to get a higher cruise speed I would have settled for a 170. I looked at and trialled a few other brands but came back to the Jabiru after comparing most points that I was looking for in the plane.

A little has been said on this forum about the engine, mostly by a minority of knockers, but what is not in question is the airframe; it has proven to be solid. The engine could do with some improvements and from what I read further development is being undertaken.

The range is good with 135 lts, cruise is good at 95 - 100 kts & resale appears to be as good as any other brand of aeroplane. Again, I looked for the 110 - 120 kts available with the 230.

If you look around there a few deals available with people wanting to sell. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you buy. There a a few threads here at the moment that are interesting, commenting on where people fly and what they found interesting.

Cheers

Thanks Peter

Appreciate the info. Ive also looked into the 230 but i think the 170 will do me fine.

Meanwhile, am enjoying the transition and will keep in touch

Cheers

Roscoe

Hi Roscoe,. . . .

Only flown a Jabiru three times, and it hurt me bum. why did the Aussies design an aeroplane for midgets I wonder ( ! ) H U G E country,. . .why the S M A L L airframe. . . .?. . . . . probably a great little plane to fly if I lost about three stone. . . . . !

Phil

Thanks Mate, yes i have read a few Reviews comparing them.

Have pretty much settled on the 170 which seems like a good fit between the 160 and the 230 which is out of my budget!

Cheers

Roscoe

Welcome Roscoe, I have owned Jabiru's for the last dozen or so years from the smallest (1600) to the largest (3300) and have flown a number of others including the J170 and have had a lot of fun in all of them - like the ad says " it's a lifestyle". I'm sure you'll enjoy your new bird and the friendships you'll find here at Rec Flying.

Hi Roscoe,. . . .Only flown a Jabiru three times, and it hurt me bum. why did the Aussies design an aeroplane for midgets I wonder ( ! ) H U G E country,. . .why the S M A L L airframe. . . .?. . . . . probably a great little plane to fly if I lost about three stone. . . . . !

Phil

Jabiru always have a good supply of NASA foam cushions for sale at Natfly.

• Informative 1

Frank/Bill

Thanks for your replies. Really starting to feel likeive joined a "community" of people who are passionate about their flying and willing to share their experience and information.

I have amassed 2 hours in the J170 on my way to conversion of my GA Licence and i must say, after Cherokees and Cessnas, its like starting all over again but what a great journey!!

Back to basics and loving it,,

Cheers

Roscoe

• Agree 1