Spark Plugs

Louie

Technical information

Resistor Spark Plugs

Resistor type spark plug’s incorporate an internal resistor to suppress ignition noise generated during sparking. The ignition noise which is often known as either electromagnetic interference (EMI) or radio frequency interference (RFI) can disrupt electronic communication signals, effecting the performance of sound systems, cellular phones, two-way radios and even engine management systems.

As EMI or RFI can also cause premature failure to other electronic components in a modern vehicle, it is important that resistor spark plugs are used to prevent this possibility.

Put simply, when a spark is formed it creates a mini-earthquake in the electronic world; the internal resistor in a spark plug filters out the noise created that may affect electrical components

I was getting interference on my microair radio with D9EA plugs so tried these. All noise went away:oh yeah:

• Informative 2

Just go to your local mechanic. He replaces plugs all the time. Ask him for a few old NGK plugs. You might have to fish them out of the bin. Unscrew the lead connectors & you are ready to go.

Technical informationResistor Spark Plugs

Resistor type spark plug’s incorporate an internal resistor to suppress ignition noise generated during sparking. The ignition noise which is often known as either electromagnetic interference (EMI) or radio frequency interference (RFI) can disrupt electronic communication signals, effecting the performance of sound systems, cellular phones, two-way radios and even engine management systems.

As EMI or RFI can also cause premature failure to other electronic components in a modern vehicle, it is important that resistor spark plugs are used to prevent this possibility.

Put simply, when a spark is formed it creates a mini-earthquake in the electronic world; the internal resistor in a spark plug filters out the noise created that may affect electrical components

I was getting interference on my microair radio with D9EA plugs so tried these. All noise went away:oh yeah:

HATE THEM - the resistors eventually fail open-circuit; it's an issue in cars if you do a lot of mi... er, kms; also an issue if you run single ignition...

Few points

Original NGK caps are aluminium, easy to crush and damage, also tend to loosen with heat changes

Auto Wreckers can supply brass ones

What about resistor covers, they work the same way just thought might be more robust. Buying 12x might be expensive.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/performance/resistor_covers.asp?mode=nml

Few pointsOriginal NGK caps are aluminium, easy to crush and damage, also tend to loosen with heat changes

Auto Wreckers can supply brass ones

What about resistor covers, they work the same way just thought might be more robust. Buying 12x might be expensive.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/performance/resistor_covers.asp?mode=nml

Resistor covers seem to work on Rotax 2-strokes, though I still won't have them on a single ignition engine - note that my Icom seems happy enough with the coax in good condition and the antennae 3m from the donk...

Personally, I LIKE an ignition that can slay an elephant at ten paces...

HATE THEM - the resistors eventually fail open-circuit; it's an issue in cars if you do a lot of mi... er, kms; also an issue if you run single ignition...

Answered my next query why wouldn't the 'R' ones just be the norm. (bit strange one Robert Llewelyn replying to another. What's the chances of that!)

Answered my next query why wouldn't the 'R' ones just be the norm. (bit strange one Robert Llewelyn replying to another. What's the chances of that!)

A lot of cars use resistor ignition leads; if using both resistive leads & plugs, spark gets weak. Use resistive plugs on your lawnmwoer, they die every 20 hours or so from the vibes...

"Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, I'm schizophrenic, And so am I"...

Or find a friend with a Rotax, their plugs come with caps on them but don't use them. Generally have a box full of caps if they haven't throwen them away.

Jabiru.... Still dependant on a Rotax for reliability. Sorry couldnt help myself. ;-)