Spark Plugs

Louie

Have just purchased spark plugs for Jab 3300, NGK D9EA as recommended by Jabiru.

Noticed on packaging not for use in aircraft and also disclaimer on the NGK website.

I assume NGK is just covering their backside but just want to check I have the right plugs.

Guest Andys@coffs

Yep.....That's right.....Liability reduction exercise by NGK.....If you want to use in aircraft you have to buy aircraft spark plugs which have the aircraft liability insurance premium added to them.....to the point that you can no longer afford to buy them......

The whole liability thing is a major PITA for aviation generally. Gates won't sell you their toothed belts if it's for aviation use (as in PRSUs) and will - or did in some cases - aggressively chase you if they find out that's the use you're putting them to. Rotax used (may still do) a notice on their boxes for uncertified engines saying 'NOT FOR AIRCRAFT USE' in big, unfriendly letters. I believe that when ACL was sold, the new owners refused to supply pistons to Jabiru.

Etc. etc.

Yep.....That's right.....Liability reduction exercise by NGK.....If you want to use in aircraft you have to buy aircraft spark plugs which have the aircraft liability insurance premium added to them.....to the point that you can no longer afford to buy them......

Can you actually buy aircraft plugs for a Jab engine? I might be wrong, but I dont think there are aircraft plugs that size?

Cheers

Vev

Guest Andys@coffs

Correct.....My point was that the "Proper Aircraft spark plugs" used within GA have a cost associated with them that makes supercheap D9EA's look like a giveaway...

Sorry if people took my comment to mean there are Aircraft certified D9EA plugs.....

Andy

Thanks for the information just wanted to check as one of the uninitiated.

I understand the parts are cheap but somewhat confusing when you confirm with the engine manufacturer the part to use and then the part manufacturer says not to use them.

what a bunch of wankers! What the hell has it got to do with Repco what you use the plugs for. If someone asks just say they are for a getaway car, that'll make it ok....I was once trying to buy a actuator in the US I happened to mention aeroplanes and they shut right up.. Untill I told them the actuator was to remotely open the mailbox, then it was ok....If I buy something it's up to me what use I put it to once I leave the shop....... The sellers should just pull their nosy heads in....

what a bunch of wankers! What the hell has it got to do with Repco what you use the plugs for. If someone asks just say they are for a getaway car, that'll make it ok....I was once trying to buy a actuator in the US I happened to mention aeroplanes and they shut right up.. Untill I told them the actuator was to remotely open the mailbox, then it was ok....If I buy something it's up to me what use I put it to once I leave the shop....... The sellers should just pull their nosy heads in....

Douglas Adams considered that being a Director of an insurance company should be punishable by death. He was right. The whole thing demonstrates the luddite ignorance and incompetent credulity of the actuarys - it COULDN'T be unmitigated greed on the part of management, I'm SURE they don't think that way...

• Like 1

To do with duty of care, in Aust every one in a supply chain bears some responsibility for safety.

If they dont know about it, no one cares but declare it and they then carry some responsibility that the product is fit for purpose. Suppliers are legally bound to cover part they sell AND potentially subsequent damage. Cant waive this either and covers sales under $40k.

It a part of the tough consumer protection laws we all love when something does go wrong or someone sells us rubbish but everyone is paying for it. One reason why stuff sold USA is cheaper than here.

If you head to Repco etc for bits, even filters, dont say they are for aircraft, i think they have to refuse to sell.

Easy - its for an "off road vehicle" !

Cheers

John

To do with duty of care, in Aust every one in a supply chain bears some responsibility for safety.If they dont know about it, no one cares but declare it and they then carry some responsibility that the product is fit for purpose. Suppliers are legally bound to cover part they sell AND potentially subsequent damage. Cant waive this either and covers sales under $40k.

It a part of the tough consumer protection laws we all love when something does go wrong or someone sells us rubbish but everyone is paying for it. One reason why stuff sold USA is cheaper than here.

agreed, BUT - the extortionate / "we don't do aircraft" approach has no basis in statistical fact; it's a flat earth approach.

Guest Andys@coffs

From a legal sense if you offer no explanation and they ask no question then they can truly argue they had no idea what you were intending. If you tell, or worse they ask and you tell then when sold they understood exactly what it is you were intending to do even in the manufacturer like NGK makes it clear on its packaging that aircraft use is a no no......That leaves them in a position where technically they have a degree of liability if something happens and your surviving partner goes looking to apply a legal scythe to all and sundry........ Bottom line is they don't want to know so don't tell them.

From a legal sense if you offer no explanation and they ask no question then they can truly argue they had no idea what you were intending. If you tell, or worse they ask and you tell then when sold they understood exactly what it is you were intending to do even in the manufacturer like NGK makes it clear on its packaging that aircraft use is a no no......That leaves them in a position where technically they have a degree of liability if something happens and your surviving partner goes looking to apply a legal scythe to all and sundry........ Bottom line is they don't want to know so don't tell them.

Unlike nukes, there is no treaty requiring end-user certificates for sparkplugs, so it's none of their bloody business, whatever the fee-seeking legal vultures might want to fabricate.

Just to get back to the ordinal posting about NGK D9EA spark plugs.

When you buy them be also aware that they do not come with the caps (not sure what the correct term for the is) on the ends -just a threaded screw post. Even though the diagram on the box shows the plug with the cap in situ.

You need the caps to fit the ignition lead connectors. So if you want new ones you have to usually order them separately. Repco can get them for you but I had to order them. And they cost about $2 each if I recall. Nearly half the cost of the plug. I bought a set once and just recycle them now.

Just to get back to the ordinal posting about NGK D9EA spark plugs.When you buy them be also aware that they do not come with the caps (not sure what the correct term for the is) on the ends -just a threaded screw post. Even though the diagram on the box shows the plug with the cap in situ.

You need the caps to fit the ignition lead connectors. So if you want new ones you have to usually order them separately. Repco can get them for you but I had to order them. And they cost about $2 each if I recall. Nearly half the cost of the plug. I bought a set once and just recycle them now.

So is it ok to keep re-using the old caps?

Yep I agree with Bob. I just recycle them. Been doing so for over 4 years. I change all the plugs every 100 hourly/ yearly. If they start looking ratty with plier score marks etc I change them but otherwise just recycle them.

Just to get back to the ordinal posting about NGK D9EA spark plugs.When you buy them be also aware that they do not come with the caps (not sure what the correct term for the is) on the ends -just a threaded screw post. Even though the diagram on the box shows the plug with the cap in situ.

Or find a friend with a Rotax, their plugs come with caps on them but don't use them. Generally have a box full of caps if they haven't throwen them away.

• Agree 1