VH OFF

Power Driven Aeroplane with TRICYCLE-RETRACTABLE landing gear

2 Piston engines

Manufacturer: PIPER AIRCRAFT CORP

Model: PA-31

Serial number: 31-7812064

Aircraft first registered in Australia: 01 November 1985

Year of manufacture: 1978

The conditions were challenging also, crosswind of 10-15knots and hot, so well done, I'd fly with this pilot anytime.

Im a low hour trike pilot but i regularly take off and land in such conditions surely a heavy twin can handle such winds with ease?? or was this a piss take i missed?

• Like 1

Fair comment, and I don't know Navajos well enough to really identify which model that one is, but if it's a 310C (which by its manufacture date it probably is), the quoted single-engine ROC is 245 fpm (which should be at MTOW) - which is certainly not inspiring. However, it's entirely fair to say that some Navajo's had single-engine performance that put them in the 'climbs like a homesick lobster' class, so I apologise for ruffling feathers here. Nil injuries and a relatively straight airframe considering is certainly an outcome for which the pilot can take much credit.

No feathers ruffled here, You must remember the quoted ROC is when the aircraft is spick & span brand new not 30 years old and tired.

Alf

No feathers ruffled here, You must remember the quoted ROC is when the aircraft is spick & span brand new not 30 years old and tired.Alf

And its cleaned up, ball half a ball out to the good engine, and blue line maintained. At sea level, on a good day. Generally, the second engine just takes you to the crash site.

• Like 1

Twins on one engine? rule of thumb is 80% loss of performance due to increasing drag and reducing thrust (great heap of issues going on that can keep a bored instructor talking for hours!).

Having said that they do climb a lot better than a single engine aircraft after an engine failure!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

And its cleaned up, ball half a ball out to the good engine, and blue line maintained. At sea level, on a good day. Generally, the second engine just takes you to the crash site.

Andy, we both think on the same level, I quoted the same on post 21 about the second engine leading you to the crash site, all cleaned up ect ect.

Alf

Twins on one engine? rule of thumb is 80% loss of performance due to increasing drag and reducing thrust (great heap of issues going on that can keep a bored instructor talking for hours!).Having said that they do climb a lot better than a single engine aircraft after an engine failure!

Blueline,

The single has an advantage, once it fails all you got to do is trim it up and look for somewhere to land, the twin you got everything happening all at once and that second engine trying to kill you if you don't get it right.

I'll take a piston single out any day over a piston twin losing one on take off with the runway behind you.

I will take the twin though if I got a decent gap between me and mother nature.

Alf

Just doubles the chances of an engine failure!! Lol

Well I recon there maybe a few of them happening soon with a new Sth African aircraft getting tinkered with at the mo.

Just sayin and not bashin lol