Twin Engine Piper - forced landing at Aldinga

As so often said, One that you can walk away from is a good one...

piper_expensive.jpg.7a7fb485accbc1b26eba372240c29a81.jpg

TWO people have walked away without serious injury from a light plane that crash landed near the Aldinga Airfield.

Emergency services were called to a paddock north of Colville Rd, 1km from the airfield, about 11.30am when after the plane was forced to make an emergency landing.

Two people on-board the twin-engine Piper escaped uninjured

From

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/two-people-aboard-light-plane-that-crashed-near-aldinga-airfield-walk-away-uninjured/story-fni6uo1m-1226812943068

Jeez, and they weren't Jabiru engines! How could that be? Good outcome for the pilot and pax.; from the prop damage the engines were both turning when it landed. 'Twill be interesting to see the follow-up on this but I'm thinking, no boost pumps/ carb. heat on and a too-hot day.

• Haha 1
  • Caution 1

Jeez, and they weren't Jabiru engines! How could that be? Good outcome for the pilot and pax.; from the prop damage the engines were both turning when it landed. 'Twill be interesting to see the follow-up on this but I'm thinking, no boost pumps/ carb. heat on and a too-hot day.

This us a GA aircraft, why would you introduce Jabiru into it? Boost pumps?they boost? the engines keep running on their mechanical pumps. Why would carb heat cause a forced landing? Too hot day???? - these aircraft have operated for 60 years on hot days.

• Agree 1

This us a GA aircraft, why would you introduce Jabiru into it? Boost pumps?they boost? the engines keep running on their mechanical pumps. Why would carb heat cause a forced landing? Too hot day???? - these aircraft have operated for 60 years on hot days.

hot day no boost increases the possibility of vapour lock in a lift pump system; if carbed, carby heat could exacerbate a vapour lock situation.

I don't think TIO 540s qualify as carbed, and I believe that they use a sheltered intake in lieu of adding heat for butterfly de-icing. As greybeard sapiently observed, the picture tells us very little. Politely responding to his suggestion, I'll surmise that they had a forced landing, probably due to some form of power loss, and put it in a paddock wheels-up to not over-run the available distance. The props may not have fully feathered, or they may have held their go-around option open to the last moment. Or they may have had their minds taken over by little green men from Mars...

To those ridiculous statements above ( carb heat, fuel pumps blah bloody blah) I do hope you fly in aircraft as a passenger and not a pilot. I spoke to someone on the ground who was on the field and saw/heard the aircraft lose partial power to one engine after becoming airborne, retracted the gear and was able to minimise the yaw effect and land on a flat paddock with the wings level and nose slightly high. Both passengers were fine, the aircraft VH-OFF not so lucky. From the photo you can see the ground is brown, the sky is blue and the aircraft is white, anything else is just made up crap. To Greybeard above, thank you for trying to reign in the rubber neckers and nay sayers, this pilot was less than a 100 feet or so when the aircraft started a yaw and ran rough, I'd say he is a marvelous pilot with god like tendencies, he didn't let the dead engine force a wing drop and resulting cart-wheel or worse ( if there is worse) get it inverted at ZOT feet and go in that way.

As an asside Dazza, one of the news choppers came for a visit and they had a truck there also, so I'm sure you'll hear it was a twin engined ultralight Cessna, with 12 seats, blah blah, just like above, never let the truth or even good reason get in they way of a story or the chance to beat one's chest.

End of Rant.

• Like 2
  • Informative 2
  • Winner 1

To those ridiculous statements above ( carb heat, fuel pumps blah bloody blah) I do hope you fly in aircraft as a passenger and not a pilot. I spoke to someone on the ground who was on the field and saw/heard the aircraft lose partial power to one engine after becoming airborne, retracted the gear and was able to minimise the yaw effect and land on a flat paddock with the wings level and nose slightly high. Both passengers were fine, the aircraft VH-OFF not so lucky. From the photo you can see the ground is brown, the sky is blue and the aircraft is white, anything else is just made up crap. To Greybeard above, thank you for trying to reign in the rubber neckers and nay sayers, this pilot was less than a 100 feet or so when the aircraft started a yaw and ran rough, I'd say he is a marvelous pilot with god like tendencies, he didn't let the dead engine force a wing drop and resulting cart-wheel or worse ( if there is worse) get it inverted at ZOT feet and go in that way.As an asside Dazza, one of the news choppers came for a visit and they had a truck there also, so I'm sure you'll hear it was a twin engined ultralight Cessna, with 12 seats, blah blah, just like above, never let the truth or even good reason get in they way of a story or the chance to beat one's chest.

End of Rant.

I was under the impression that an airwork-rated twin was required to have the capability to climb out on one engine, hence the idea that something had reduced the available power to below that required to sustain flight. Fuel delivery issues seem to be an obvious cause for both engines failing to deliver adequate power simultaneously. The pilot did a grand job of putting it down well, I did in no way impugn her/his ability. Pretty obviously the old 'pressure left, feather right' reaction must have kicked in automatically, and the landing certainly appears to have been as good as you'd get.

My edumacated 'pinion is that he didn't maintain airspeed.. For whatever reason....fuel, carbs or lack thereof, failure of the turbine hot section, after burner failed etc....I'm sure we will learn in due course.

Just joking now, don't flame me.

Glad everyone got out safe.

• Haha 1

Oscar,

As you are most likely aware not all that many piston twins with climb much more than 150+ fpm on one pot on a near perfect day with the aircraft in near perfect condition let alone on a warm day, everything has to go right, quickly identify which engine, boot full of rudder, fly blue line speed, cleanly configure the aircraft and hope like Christ the trees do grow bigger in the windscreen. (not sure what this aircrafts single engine performance is)

Damn good result for this pilot as he identified obviously the aircraft wasn't climbing and decided to force land instead of allowing the second good engine lead him to the crash site.

Alf

• Agree 1

Another good reason to get rid of these aging piston twins that are still being used for passenger carrying bring in more turboprops.

Hard to say, but looks like the left engine is feathered, and the right is still going. Although, just a guess, but the damage to the props doesn't look like they were under power when it hit.

Isnt it amusing, every time there is a failure, people bring up The Jab engine.. My work here is clearly done. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Oscar,As you are most likely aware not all that many piston twins with climb much more than 150+ fpm on one pot on a near perfect day with the aircraft in near perfect condition let alone on a warm day, everything has to go right, quickly identify which engine, boot full of rudder, fly blue line speed, cleanly configure the aircraft and hope like Christ the trees do grow bigger in the windscreen. (not sure what this aircrafts single engine performance is)

Damn good result for this pilot as he identified obviously the aircraft wasn't climbing and decided to force land instead of allowing the second good engine lead him to the crash site.

Alf

Fair comment, and I don't know Navajos well enough to really identify which model that one is, but if it's a 310C (which by its manufacture date it probably is), the quoted single-engine ROC is 245 fpm (which should be at MTOW) - which is certainly not inspiring. However, it's entirely fair to say that some Navajo's had single-engine performance that put them in the 'climbs like a homesick lobster' class, so I apologise for ruffling feathers here. Nil injuries and a relatively straight airframe considering is certainly an outcome for which the pilot can take much credit.