Jabiru 230 D Fuel tank measure

HI

Why not make your own it's not hard just drain your tanks and get a bit of wood 25/5mm or so and tape a bit of clear tube to the side make sure that the bottom of the tube is level with the bottom of the stick and the top is the same there add the first 10 lts dip and hold the stick in for a few seconds place your finger over the tube and pull out, fuel will be in the tube at the level it's in the tank mark the stick and repeat again at 5 or 10 ltr intervals .And now you have your dipstick it does not take long.

Cheers Rory

• Like 2

HIWhy not make your own it's not hard just drain your tanks and get a bit of wood 25/5mm or so and tape a bit of clear tube to the side make sure that the bottom of the tube is level with the bottom of the stick and the top is the same there add the first 10 lts dip and hold the stick in for a few seconds place your finger over the tube and pull out, fuel will be in the tube at the level it's in the tank mark the stick and repeat again at 5 or 10 ltr intervals .And now you have your dipstick it does not take long.

Cheers Rory

Thanks Rory for such a logical response.

I will adopt your recommendation.

Cheers

John N,

The thing to keep in mind is because the tanks are long and relatively thin - unless the aircraft is perfectly level the information you obtain can be misleading - the reason why I haven't made one ( safer to use a fuel log and compare with fuel guages)

Guest Andys@coffs

I agree with frank, a slight lean, that may not be detectable to an average human, will make a significant difference. I try to simply fill to the top every time I fill (MTOW allowing), if flying 1 up, and most of us do for the majority of our hours, then MTOW isn't generally an issue. The same long and thin tanks are why flying slightly ball of center can lead to an unbalanced (or at least an appearance of unbalanced) fuel usage.

I think a dipping stick will only be useful if your close to MTOW and need a partial fuel load and are prepared to also have a spirit level with you as well

Andy

Thank you for your reply.I have asked Jabiru in the past but with the advent of increased ramp checks will try them again.

Cheers

John N

The thing to keep in mind is because the tanks are long and relatively thin - unless the aircraft is perfectly level the information you obtain can be misleading - the reason why I haven't made one ( safer to use a fuel log and compare with fuel guages)

Thank you, Frank , a fuel log & comparison with fuel gauges appears to be the best solution ( this is what I have been doing to date). I think that I was going for an "over kill"!

• Informative 1

Thank you, Frank , a fuel log & comparison with fuel gauges appears to be the best solution ( this is what I have been doing to date). I think that I was going for an "over kill"!

I agree with frank, a slight lean, that may not be detectable to an average human, will make a significant difference. I try to simply fill to the top every time I fill (MTOW allowing), if flying 1 up, and most of us do for the majority of our hours, then MTOW isn't generally an issue. The same long and thin tanks are why flying slightly ball of center can lead to an unbalanced (or at least an appearance of unbalanced) fuel usage.I think a dipping stick will only be useful if your close to MTOW and need a partial fuel load and are prepared to also have a spirit level with you as well

Andy

I wouldn't do anything but make my own. Level the plane and from empty keep adding measured amounts, accurately or alternatively from full remove known amounts and mark the corresponding level(s) on the stick.

Jabiru wings are long and shallow. The only time you really know is when full or empty. Your aeroplanes normal usage rate should be used for planning or the POH (Not if it is less) figure.. Most fuel gauges are not accurate and should not be trusted especially on their own unless a sight tube (and still rock the plane).

You can't be TOO careful with fuel matters. Even the best engines need it. Nev

• Agree 2

I wouldn't do anything but make my own. Level the plane and from empty keep adding measured amounts, accurately or alternatively from full remove known amounts and mark the corresponding level(s) on the stick.Jabiru wings are long and shallow. The only time you really know is when full or empty. Your aeroplanes normal usage rate should be used for planning or the POH (Not if it is less) figure.. Most fuel gauges are not accurate and should not be trusted especially on their own unless a sight tube (and still rock the plane).

You can't be TOO careful with fuel matters. Even the best engines need it. Nev

Thank you, Nev, for your appreciated input.

Can recall earlier in the piece, I filled my jab160 tanks to almost the top, was surprised just how much more I could squeeze in by filling them to the absolute top, near on running out the filler holes....was an extra 6.....7 litres approx, per tank. At that time I was then concerned just how much would then vent out, ( expansion etc ) so getting airborne ASAP was my next step. All ended up good anyway.

As to relying on your fuel gauges....forget about that, they don,t even match each other, 2 dash led ones, and the 2 tank ones, look at all 4 and you get 4 different amounts.

Fuel log is the only way, with safety margins. Must admit tho, calibrating the flow meter to near on exact, is a good tool.

• Agree 1

John ,

There is no other satisfactory method , than those suggested here . I also have calibrated dipsticks (done by myself on a level surface ) ,individual sight glasses and fuel computer ,but usually find that when dipping the tanks that both are unequal , probably due to flying slightly out of balance and/or exacerbated by the uneven refuelling station surface . I set my cruise fuel burn at between 16.5 - 17 l/hr , but work on an even 20 l/hr just to make things easy , and erring on the high side for safety .I also know that when the tanks are full, I have a comfortable 6 hrs endurance . Best to use all methods of cross checking available to you .

Bob

Yep i made mine last week because the supplied one was a joke. Put in 5L at a time and now i have a very accurate one. But the best thing is that i know its accurate. That gives me a lot more comfort then when i had the dodgey one that i suspected, then eventually knew was out.

Frank, how accurate do you find your fuel log? I am still learning this (J230) aircraft and am finding discrepancies between the fuel log and sight tubes. After a cross country flight the actual fuel burn is as it should be. I seem to have issues if I have been doing circuits or PFL practice, it really mucks the figures up enough to generate doubt. The sight tubes are not the most accurate type of gauge.

Also, the sight tubes measure to 100 litres, the remaining 35 litres over this doesn't show. How can I accurately fill the tanks to say 105 litres (above the top of the sight tubes) from a point where there is a 20 litre discrepancy between sight gauge and fuel log figures? This is basically my problem when I fly cross country with a passenger and can't take full fuel due to MTOW.

Maybe the easiest solution would be for me to lose 30kg. I would look like a match stick with the wood scraped off, but at least I could have full tanks!

Guest Andys@coffs

Next time filling it to full know what you expect to put in (divided by2) close the wing cocks (assuming you have the 2 cocks on the door pillars for each wing) then subtract 15 litres from each side and take a look at how far down from the filling cap it is.......or dip it and mark of on the dipping stick for next time......don't forget to reopen the cocks! life will get interesting fast if you forget and being slightly behind they are out of sight.....

my passengers tend to generally be my daughters, both late teens/early 20's so haven't needed to worry about the MTOW/full fuel load with them on yet

Andy

Frank, how accurate do you find your fuel log? I am still learning this (J230) aircraft and am finding discrepancies between the fuel log and sight tubes. After a cross country flight the actual fuel burn is as it should be. I seem to have issues if I have been doing circuits or PFL practice, it really mucks the figures up enough to generate doubt. The sight tubes are not the most accurate type of gauge.Also, the sight tubes measure to 100 litres, the remaining 35 litres over this doesn't show. How can I accurately fill the tanks to say 105 litres (above the top of the sight tubes) from a point where there is a 20 litre discrepancy between sight gauge and fuel log figures? This is basically my problem when I fly cross country with a passenger and can't take full fuel due to MTOW.

Maybe the easiest solution would be for me to lose 30kg. I would look like a match stick with the wood scraped off, but at least I could have full tanks!

I use a flight burn of 25lt/hr. (Tacho - so start up to shut down) I average better then that but always on the safe side using it. My wing root gauges are surprisingly accurate - check them each fill and find when added together the result is roughly 12ltrs less then actual. I wouldn't trust them for flight planning but to date they have been consistent (to my surprise).

I use a flight burn of 25lt/hr. (Tacho - so start up to shut down) I average better then that but always on the safe side using it. My wing root gauges are surprisingly accurate - check them each fill and find when added together the result is roughly 12ltrs less then actual. I wouldn't trust them for flight planning but to date they have been consistent (to my surprise).

Thanks for your thoughts.

I also plan on 25 litres/hr but consumption is around 21-22 l/ph.

Interesting numbers as I find slightly more fuel used with mogas so work on 30 l/ph. It is not just the fuel as I double check the numbers in my head if I deviate.

1 ltr = 2 minutes

1 minute = 2 miles

Rough but allows me to look it over quickly to check for an error.

Interesting numbers as I find slightly more fuel used with mogas so work on 30 l/ph. It is not just the fuel as I double check the numbers in my head if I deviate.1 ltr = 2 minutes

1 minute = 2 miles

Rough but allows me to look it over quickly to check for an error.

Handy formula Peter.

Interesting, i tried dip tubes a few times, long shallow tanks and the error is too big to be useful, just stick with full and calc burn BUT

Last week i must have not tightenened fuel cap properly after refuelling and one came off in flight, i did hear it but was just a clunk noise just after take off, didnt think anything of it, flew an hour or so, no obvious fuel loss on guages, and subsequent refill saw just 10 litres or so sucked out, fuel cap held on by static strap, all uneventful. Good design or good luck either way its another case of jabiru being fairly foolproof airframe.

Saw a C182 do the same thing with fuel cap last year, fuel coming out was visible from the ground as blue stream as the plane climbed out, wouldnt have lasted long. I did call them and they came back.