Single-engine plane crashes at Moorabbin Airport

There are two theories that I've heard as to what actually happened to cause the crash:

One is that it was a TIF, and the instructor was talking the student through the takeoff, student pulled the yoke all the way back and the aircraft subsequently stalled and crashed.

The other is the seat wasn't properly locked into place and slid all the way back as the aircraft rotated, taking the yoke with it.

I saw the impact - not very pretty to watch - and was very relieved to see the two occupants exit the aircraft unassisted.

The problem with the seat theory is either pilot should have been able to recover the situation. The instructor cannot always overcome a control input from a student, if it is firm enough.( Unless he hits him with a brick, which is frowned upon in some circles). Nev

I saw a great safety item fitted to the bottom of a pilots seat it worked like a inertia seat belt and locked the seat rails if the seat slipped suddenly

Good thinking. It would have to be an unapproved mod or it wouldn't be there. Nev

Yes Nev I think it was ,a must for a sky diving aircraft you would think

Good thinking. It would have to be an unapproved mod or it wouldn't be there. Nev

I have seen this fitted to a C172 and believe it was supplied by Cessna as an approved mod,