Rec Fly or Clear Prop

Admin

I am about to go live with the new pilot supplies shop and as we know it has always been a separate site and separate entity under the name of Clear Prop. However, I am thinking that perhaps it may be better to move it under the Recreational Flying name and be a part of the Recreational Flying site, although it would still need a separate registration and login to purchase anything although you can check out as a Guest. It would cost $1,000 to make both the shop and the forums to have the same user registration and login because the shop requires extra user fields.

So can anyone think of the pros and cons of having either the two remain separate or combining them into the same site...got to decide within the next 24hrs

I'm not much of an expert with this sort of thing Ian, I have used clear prop recently and didn't have any hassles navigating to there from the links here. So I guess for me it would depend on what was easier for you. Is it easier to run them as separate sites? Or would it be easier if they were both together?

• Agree 2

I think running them as separate sites is neither here nor there as I have room on my server and they use different software anyway...I think it comes down to "The Clear Prop Pilot Supplies Shop" or "The Recreational Flying Pilot Supplies Store". All our own products like our headsets, Wire Twisters and soon a whole range of Headset Accessories and Jewelry etc are/will be labeled Recreational Flying so this is what sent me off on this train of thought, but then, PPL people may not buy from a Recreational Flying store (psychology) and then does everyone here at Recreational Flying know that Clear Prop and Recreational Flying are one and the same i.e. Clear Prop pays the bills of having the Recreational Flying site available to everyone.

I can't decide if I have a problem making decisions or not 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Like 1

I like Clear Prop. It seems a familiar kind of name for some reason. Can't quite remember where I've heard it before though 034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gifrgmwa

As I see it that is the problem, you've spent money for years promoting a brand, the minute you change the name all that money and effort fall.gif.71a3a1a6c885cc86d269faaf01fe4bf3.gif

I had no issue with logging in separately to Clear Prop and would use it again in the future.

One advantage of maintaining the separate identities is that they are easily severable if you choose to dispose of or discontinue one or the other. Merging the two seems to me to be muddying the waters.

I had no issue with logging in separately to Clear Prop and would use it again in the future.One advantage of maintaining the separate identities is that they are easily severable if you choose to dispose of or discontinue one or the other. Merging the two seems to me to be muddying the waters.

I agree with mothra.

Clear prop is in my opinion a good nom de plume, but newbies probably are not aware of the link to sales of your products.

My suggestion would be to have a banner or such to highlight the sales link.

Perhaps you could bring up the hits on clear prop to make a decision. Members vs hits.

Just a thought

Phil

Since I have to log in separately it makes no difference to me.

However, you never know what's around the corner.

If for some reason you needed to pass the site, or Clear Prop, onto some other entity, it might be an encumberance if they were combined.

Jack.

Thanks for the comments all, the shop will stay as Clear Prop for the time being an d hopefully the completely new and updated site will go live in a few days, have spent over $10,000 getting new and different types of products into stock so just waiting for them to arrive

I agree with Phil. Don't be shy about promoting Clear Prop within the forum. This is a very useful tool that none of us pay for (or pay very little for). As such, not only will most members not have a problem with you advertising on the site, they will actually want to help you out by purchasing from your store. Community is a powerful thing and this is probably your biggest advantage over other online stores, so don't be afraid to use it!

Nick

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1