Gopro tips

Russ

Ok, are they any good.

Suction mount, or fixed mount.

Best locating point

Dooz and dont's

Best deals ?

"She" wants one.....

I discovered it's not really meant to be a hand-held still camera. It's a good video cam but the picture is very wide-angle. I want to be able to review all instrument readings while testing and haven't quite got the settings right yet or found the best mounting point.

The longest the battery has lasted is about 100 minutes. They said it could be charged while recording (which some others can't). What they didn't tell me was you have to remove the tiny little flimsy-looking camera from its robust housing to plug in a charging cable. Apparently "skeleton" cases are available to allow this.

I have found a Gopro very useful during my training. I allows me to review each lesson and really reinforce what I am doing well and not so well. I also have time to think about and absorb instructions outside of the busyness of doing. (It's patched in to the intercom with a cable from skyshop so I can hear intercom and radio.)

I have it mounted to the cockpit roof on centreline at head level and just behind my ear (fore-aft) It's set to the wide, (but not the ultra wide FOV)

From this position the camera basically sees what I see. Instruments, stick position, and attitude of the nose.

You can read the larger analogue gauges Tacho, ATL VSI IAS but the small gauges and glass display detail is too fine.

I have also put a stack of graduated neutral density filters in front of the lens. These slow the shutter speed and blur out the prop so you don't get those stupid strobe stripe effects, and also helps to balance the exposure of inside and outside. As will all digital cameras the dynamic (light) range is much less that the human eye.

Suction mount is about 90% reliable. It's dropped once or twice. I would use an adhesive mount were it my aircraft.

It's been a really good investment for training.

Do I expect to use it as much outside of training. No, it's not great entertainment. But maybe if I was flying somewhere interesting.

Capture1.JPG.8b75be8e62f00976c76cf0db87093d82.JPG

• Informative 3

Talk to Reece at Kitepower Redcliffe, who has just shot some great footage during his gliding and recent flight to Orchid Beach in a 182 and knows all there is about filming editing etc with a go pro.

Kitepower Australia (Queensland)

146 Hornibrook Esp, Clontarf, 4019

(07) 3284 1186

Russ:

I tape mine on the struts outside so it's a "temporary" mount. Apparently you need bureaucratic OK to make it permanent.

I've found that the best setting is the 720 @ 60FPS resolution is best. I tried the Full HD setting, but got rolling shutter distortion from vibration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcQffk1G2U4

You have to experiment with mounting a bit to find where frame vibration is minimal to get the best pics. Also, if you fix the mount permanently, then that is the only view you can film. I mount mine with 100MPH tape which is quite adequate for the speed the Nynja does (90-oddKTS).

But above all, you want to make bloody sure the camera is firmly attached as otherwise (a) you'll lose your expensive camera, and (b) if you do and someone picks it up, it wouldn't be too hard to identify you and tell the authorities, but most importantly, © if it fell on someone from 5,000 feet or so it would probably hurt a bit.

I tape mine on the struts outside so it's a "temporary" mount. Apparently you need bureaucratic OK to make it permanent.

No exemption for a temporary mod (whatever temporary means). And, it is not bureaucratic - an airworthiness approval, just that CASA makes it much more difficult than in the USA where the rule is identical but still any external change needs airworthiness approval.

Have look on YouTube for comparisons, after a lot of research, I got an Ion Air Pro. Has 14 MP ccd , hd and fhd, is about the same size and shape as a small led torch (not a square box), water proof to 10m with no extra case needed, comes with a helmet mount (good in the drifter), has wifi, so can be remotely operated from phone or iPad, and costs way less than equivalent spec go pro. I'm quite impressed with quality of footage it produces. My only criticism is the lack of viewfinder, but it does if you operate it via phone/iPad.