CAR 232

cscotthendry

Another good reference regarding Rules and Regs is the Day VFR Syllabus. Section 3, Theoretical Knowledge describes what CASA expects a GA pilot with Quals equal to an RAA pilot certificate to know. Alternatively pick up a theory manual produced by Bob Tait, ATC or Dyson-Holland and review the Flight Rules section. It's probably more appropriate than trying to digest the CAR, CASR etc. would also be worth reviewing the various exemptions RAA operate under, there are links to them under the Safety tab on the RAA site. Then I would be asking your flight instructor why they didn't get you to do this in the first place!!

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/fcl/download/vfrasfull.pdf

• Agree 1

Turbo, I am wading Through the new regs. 91 is the general rules of the air re write and i agree it should be required reading an knowledge regardless of what you fly. The new reg is generally clear plain english and not the usual convoluted cross ref stuff.

Now 133, air work, passenger transport regs they are a nightmare to read. Pathetic but I still don't know , because the legalese was so dense, whether they propose you can do airwork without an aoc.

Just to save some confusion, the numbers (91 and 133) that Chocolate is referring to are not from the CARS, but are CASR Part 91 (General Operating and Flight Rules incorporating 91D and 91U taking effect in December 2005)

and CASR Part 133 (Australian Air Transport Operations - Rotorcraft)

So that gives us another document to read up on.

So we have as a short list to read before searching for more:

CAR Civil Aviation Regulations 1988

CASR Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998

CAO Civil Aviation Order

CAAP Civil Aviation Advisory Publication

I've made a few attempts to sift through the system, list all items which affect a pilot, and work out how they interrelate and nest, but each time I get busy and have to start all over again.

If anyone has done this please post the details.

....Seems to me that reg 234 about carrying enough fuel applies to all so I can't see that reg 232 is excluded. But I am not a lawyer.

I can't see that it is excluded, either.

I wouldn't worry too much about it for private pilots - simply follow the AFM i.e. any checklist should not have anything conflicting with the AFM unless CASA has specifically approved it (eg by an Ops Manual for a flying school - but even then, CASA does not approve such Ops Manuals - they accept them so they can't be responsible for content not having approved it).

Some of us who fly Antiques are exempt from carriage of an AFM because there isn't one. I just have a typed set of checklists/procedures and a W &B table in the same folder as my MR. Even the W&B is very basic with no envelope to worry about...just front seat pax, front and back seat pax, reserve tank empty or full and allowable baggage in each case.

All my important speed figures (best glide speeds, stall speeds, etc) are also recorded on a placard mounted in the cabin where it is readily visible for immediate reference.

Kaz

Why wouldn't FTF's be teaching students then John? (or are they and students are just pretending they don't know)?

I would like to believe they are pretending they don't know; but I guess your question is one that can only be answered by the RA-Aus Operations Manager.

John

By the way I messed up two of the urls in post 32, here are the corrected urls:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/tutorials/regulations/regulations.html

http://www.recreationalflying.com/tutorials/regulations/civilact.html

http://www.recreationalflying.com/tutorials/navigation/safety.html (check the last para on the page)

http://www.recreationalflying.com/tutorials/navigation/CASA_advisories.html

Some of us who fly Antiques are exempt from carriage of an AFM because there isn't one.....All my important speed figures (best glide speeds, stall speeds, etc) are also recorded on a placard mounted in the cabin where it is readily visible for immediate reference.

Sorry, I should've mentioned the types not required to have an AFM - not just antiques but many Cessna 172s and 310s etc. The Type Certificate Data Sheet specifies the required placards so the pilot has all the info required in the cockpit. Then there are Austers - no TCDS, I can't remember offhand the name of its basic certification document in the UK.
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...