ATIS broadcast

stevron

My radio does not recv 115. Which is the ATIS for Albury air space and as such I need to call the tower both departure and inbound to obtain the basic info.

I have a micro air radio fitted.

The correct frequency is in the ERSA Stevron - ATIS is 115.6

If you haven't been there before, its elevation, also in the ERSA is 539 feet, so the circuit height on your altimeter, correctly set for the area would read 1540, not 1000

Albury ATIS is broadcast over the NDB and rubbish reception has been an issue for years.

A project has been in the pipeline for some time to install a dedicated VHF transmitter for the ATIS. Should be done by now, will get an update tomorrow.

I live and fly out of Albury . My piont is the radio does not receive down to 115.6 so I am unable to obtain ATIS .

Yes, frustrating...and unnecessary.

I have no idea why manufacturers of VHF transceivers often don't design them to operate down to 108.00Mhz.

Microair responded to this problem during 2007. This was the year they fitted the larger control knobs and extended the frequency range.

Bad luck old chap.

Fred

I have been thinking......

It might be worth having a word with Microair to enquire if they could add the missing frequency range to your unit, by way of update.

Fred

It is a VOR frequency not NDB, some handheld radios such as Icom have the VOR freqencys, could be an easier option to carry a hand held with VOR.

As stated above it is not a VFR comm frequency. Comms start at 118.0 I think and anything below that is in the VOR frequencies and not available to comm radios.You can talk to FIA on 125.2 ot the tower on 124.2

The NDB is 236 not 115.6

As stated above it is not a VFR comm frequency. Comms start at 118.0 I think and anything below that is in the VOR frequencies and not available to comm radios.You can talk to FIA on 125.2 ot the tower on 124.2The NDB is 236 not 115.6

VHF frequencies below 118.00 ARE available to comm. radios for listening purposes.

Microair recognised the reality that ATIS and AWIS (Wagga, for example) are often broadcast on the navigation frequencies. Their units after 2007 can listen on the nav. band.

I don't see many VOR units in RAAus registered aircraft so, well done Microair!

Anyone looking to purchase a VHF comm. radio would do well to consider what frequency range the unit covers.

Fred

Quite right Camel, VOR not NDB as I stated. My bad.

The VHF ATIS project has been initiated but is not progressing very quickly due to other priorities, and yes it will be in the Comm band.

Sorry I know thats no relief for now, you'll have to rely on your friends in TWR or ML CEN a little longer.

Just report at the VFR reporting point "without ATIS". The tower persons at MAY are well aware that many of us haven't the equipment to receive it.

They know I'm the same age as my aeroplane so they treat us both gently.

Kaz

• Like 1

Quite right Camel, VOR not NDB as I stated. My bad.The VHF ATIS project has been initiated but is not progressing very quickly due to other priorities, and yes it will be in the Comm band.

Sorry I know thats no relief for now, you'll have to rely on your friends in TWR or ML CEN a little longer.

However, being in the 118.0 - 136.0 band is one thing - when a 3 decimal place frequency is chosen it still rules out many COMS. Our AWIS was recently commissioned with 122.125 - so many COMS cannot use it. It also has poor range at lower levels, eg at 30nm you need to be 5000 to receive. Maybe that's a site thing?

One cheap easy option is to download an AWS app so you can call the airfields for info in flight if you have the capability. I have a app on android that has a phone book of aerodromes to call up.