Outback and beyond flight - May 2014

FlyingVizsla

Take ONE forty year-old Cessna ONE SEVEN TWO; ONE SEVENTY TWO year-old pilot; plus ONE sixty year old 'first officer cum cabin attendant'------and theblacksheep is off again in the UGlyDuckling (C172M VH-UGD) Kyneton through the iconic outback to Darwin, then across the Timor Sea to Kupang, Indonesia; to Dili in Timor Leste; and back to Darwin via Kupang.

On the forward route we will fly Kyneton to Renmark, Port Pirie, Leigh Creek, William Creek, Oodnadatta, Ayers Rock, Curtin Springs, The Granites, and Kununurra, to Darwin.

A couple of days R&R in Darwin will be followed by the overwater legs and return to Darwin.

The return trip will be via Jabiru, Mcarthur River Mine, Adels Grove, Camooweal, Mount Isa, Boulia, Windorah, Thargomindah, Hungerford, Tibooburra, Pooncarie and Wentworth, to Kyneton.

Follow the blog which is updated daily when internet access is available.

www.theblacksheep-theuglyduckling.blogspot.com.au

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

For those following the Black Sheep blog, I had an update yesterday. The Black Sheep and the First Officer are under " virtual house arrest" in Kupang and the Ugly Duckling is taped up, the authorities have taken their passports. Apparently some problems with the paperwork to enter Indonesian airspace. Once this is sorted, they plan to fly direct to Dili and will carry enough fuel to go Kupang-Dili-Darwin. Watch the blog for an update once they get to civilisation, wherever that might be.

Che

Take ONE forty year-old Cessna ONE SEVEN TWO; ONE SEVENTY TWO year-old pilot; plus ONE sixty year old 'first officer cum cabin attendant'------and theblacksheep is off again in the UGlyDuckling (C172M VH-UGD) Kyneton through the iconic outback to Darwin, then across the Timor Sea to Kupang, Indonesia; to Dili in Timor Leste; and back to Darwin via Kupang. 

On the forward route we will fly Kyneton to Renmark, Port Pirie, Leigh Creek, William Creek, Oodnadatta, Ayers Rock, Curtin Springs, The Granites, and Kununurra, to Darwin.

A couple of days R&R in Darwin will be followed by the overwater legs and return to Darwin.

The return trip will be via Jabiru, Mcarthur River Mine, Adels Grove, Camooweal, Mount Isa, Boulia, Windorah, Thargomindah, Hungerford, Tibooburra, Pooncarie and Wentworth, to Kyneton.

Follow the blog which is updated daily when internet access is available.

www.theblacksheep-theuglyduckling.blogspot.com.au

Check Oodnadatta if you are relying on getting fuel there...last I heard was the pink everything had stopped supplying it.

OMG I envy you. What an incredible trip you have planned. I very much want to get back to the East Gascoyne before I'm to old but even that is a big financial commitment for me.

Looking forward to news on the wallaby.

Kaz

OMG I envy you. What an incredible trip you have planned.

Kaz

Not me (unfortunately), but Alan & Terry; two blokes who enjoy tootling around Oz and now trying an overseas trip. Currently getting to grips with the complexities of Customs and the unpopularity of Avgas. Their blog shows a great sense of humour.

Sue

Latest word is that the boys have been cleared to leave Indonesia, plane is refuelled and they should be in Dili by lunch time. So check the blog maybe tomorrow for the full story of how an overnight stay turned into a week's delay.

Been keeping up with the blog. I've no idea how much prep work was done before the trip but after reading the blog I'm kind of hoping that no one in Indonesia reads the blog. Regardless of the circumstance it doesn't really read like an invite for a xmas card list :( Kind of makes me feel sorry for anyone who tries to follow their path 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Now it's June? Were are theyspacesailor

Discussing the finer details of international aviation regulations, acceptable international port of entries, paper work requirements, planning and touching up on some diplomacy skills just in case there are any English reading people in the customs and immigration departments in Indonesia who can read blog reports.

The finer details have been updated in their blog, link is in the first post.

They are "home" YKTN. Just hope no phishers read the blog (DOBs passport No.s etc). Or CASA notice the passenger flying bit. Fortunately there are some lessons to be learned by reading the Blog for anyone considering an "outback" trip.