A newcomer from Sweden

Hasse

Hi all,

My name is Hans Marchner and I have struggled with my Savannah S LSA-project in a one-car garage in Mariefred, Sweden for about 18 month now. It's been an interesting journey but not the relaxation I sought after retirement. Not everything have worked according to plans but I hope to start the first engine test run next week and if all goes well I hope to paint and start the test flight early autumn. I have no experience in painting so that will be a challenge.

Happy landings

Hasse

• Like 3

Welcome, Hasse.

Good to hear of your project. You are much further ahead than me! And hey, if it was easy, everybody would do it :)

I'll follow your progress on this forum with interest.

Good luck

Bruce

• Agree 1

Welcome, Hasse.Good to hear of your project. You are much further ahead than me! And hey, if it was easy, everybody would do it :)

I'll follow your progress on this forum with interest.

Good luck

Bruce

Thanks Bruce,

I'm really looking forward to leave the garage for the sky. Interestingly, I didn't realise that it was so much more to do once the fuselage and wings were done. Any modification from the icp standard of motor installation and wiring is problematic. Anyway, it can't be that long now.

Safe landings

Hasse

" Interestingly, I didn't realise that it was so much more to do once the fuselage and wings were done."

There is a phrase current in the homebuilding fraternity that sums this up. You've reached the 90/90 stage: 90% completed and 90% still to go!

I'm at the 1/99 stage . . .

Bruce

Welcome Hasse - I take my hat off for people who build their own planes. A very big commitment and I wish you success.

Don't be afraid to ask if you are stuck on the project as there are some quite knowledgeable people on the forum.

Hi all, My name is Hans Marchner and I have struggled with my Savannah S LSA-project in a one-car garage in Mariefred, Sweden for about 18 month now. It's been an interesting journey but not the relaxation I sought after retirement. Not everything have worked according to plans but I hope to start the first engine test run next week and if all goes well I hope to paint and start the test flight early autumn. I have no experience in painting so that will be a challenge.

Happy landings

Hasse

Hello Hans

My Savannah S project is 11 months along in my mothers lounge room(because my wife won't let it in her house) also ready to paint but my motor is still in the box, I share your lack of painting experience, it is a bit frightening to start with no experience so it has stalled the progress somewhat. Dennis is on the forums (Skee), buiding one in Sweden in his loungeroom also. Not such a strange thing to do afterall.

All the best Steve...

I have an industrial spray booth, come on over guys!Welcome Hans 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

Thanks for the offer (including the ale) but transportation is an issue.

My idea is to build a spray booth from an old party tent (6 x 3 x 2.5 m or 20 x 10 x 8 ft) cover it in plastic with cut-outs for two large filters each mounted in a cardboard box (1 x 1 m) where two fans (2 kW each) will hopefully circulate the air. Four large spot lights outside the tent (spray booth) will, I hope, give enough light to operate. Any suggestions or comments?

Hasse

Thanks Bruce,

Yes a HVLP spray gun was what I had in mind. Still, I'm a bit worried about the toxic aerosol from the poly uretane over coat that I'm going to use for the final paint. Here I would feel much safer wearing a respirator in an atmosphere with as little toxic fume as possible. I'm not worried about the cleaning part (MEK and PREKOTE) and priming (epoxy) which I think can be handled by a decent mask. Do you have any experience of spraying with poly uretane?

What about you Gnarly Gnu?

Hasse

Hi Nev! That's interesting, why would you recommend a light etch instead of the epoxy primer? I always thought that the epoxy was the preferred primer and gave a smother support for the final coat. Any particular etch primer that you would suggest?

Hasse

I'm NO expert but I use a lot of the flat green aviation etch, with metal surfaces. I'm presuming your plane is Al sheet. and needs an etch. There is no need for any great thickness of this paint. A light misting is all you need and don't have a lot of humidity. Preclean well and control dust. This etch should have been used in the laps of your riveted joints if you are worried about corrosion. Nev

Hello HansMy Savannah S project is 11 months along in my mothers lounge room(because my wife won't let it in her house) also ready to paint but my motor is still in the box, I share your lack of painting experience, it is a bit frightening to start with no experience so it has stalled the progress somewhat. Dennis is on the forums (Skee), buiding one in Sweden in his loungeroom also. Not such a strange thing to do afterall.

All the best Steve...

You must have the greatest external motivator possible: your mum! She wants her lounge room back before December 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

Hi Hasse

Re the HVLP, no, I haven't sprayed with polyurethane. But judging by the minimal overspray I've seen when spraying other paints I would think that a good quality cartridge type facemask would be adequate. Maybe try a test?

Bruce

Hasse polyurethane paints are a wonderful product but I really try to avoid using them wherever possible due to the health risks (and I'm pretty gung-ho on most things). That said in some cases PU is simply the best product to use, so I'd go for it but with good quality replaceable cartridge half or full face respiratory spray mask such as Sundstrom or similar (you should know this brand). This is for a one-off spray job, more than that and you really should be using a proper filtered air-supply hood. And yes, less paint is better as long as you get coverage.

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Hasse!I hope you enjoy your Savannah building project (and your time on this Forum 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif). What areas have you found difficult in the Savannah construction?

Hej Nev,

The difficult part was the manual which I some times found amusing but hard to grasp and even contradictory. I believe that the ICP got tired of all my e-mails asking for clearifications. Anyhow, ICP were quite good in answering even though a bit slow.

Also, the motor installation and wiring took longer than expected. Not really complicated once you understand how to proceed but a lot of contemplation. The metal work (fuselage, wings etc) was pleasant to do as all pieces fit very well together. It's amasing how well ICP cut the parts. Of course, any modification from the standard is a challenge as you have to take full responsibility for it's applicability. Also, my EAA controller is particularily interested in my modifications.

Apart from that it's not difficult but a long journey. Having that said, I'm not at the end yet. I still have the painting, wings assembly to do. Not to mention all the flight tests.

Hasse

Hasse polyurethane paints are a wonderful product but I really try to avoid using them wherever possible due to the health risks (and I'm pretty gung-ho on most things). That said in some cases PU is simply the best product to use, so I'd go for it but with good quality replaceable cartridge half or full face respiratory spray mask such as Sundstrom or similar (you should know this brand). This is for a one-off spray job, more than that and you really should be using a proper filtered air-supply hood. And yes, less paint is better as long as you get coverage.

Thanks Gnarly,

Yes I will not start the poly uretane painting until I find a good full-face respirator. And I will spray thin.

Hasse