Bad ELF GPS receivers

The wireless ones are good. The plug-in ones are unreliable if the plug is loose, then they cut out when you bump the iPad on your knee mount. A problem I couldn't resolve so I bought a new iPad with built-in GPS.

I use one with a 3G ipad as the internal gps is useless remote, they are much more reliable and quicker then the internal, battery life with the 3G turned off and a plug in 10hr+

I ended up going with the Dual XGPS150 over the bad elf, it bluetooths to the iPad and I can put the receiver on the dash. It then doesn't get in the way when the iPad mini is in the thigh pad. I've been happy with it, battery endurance is good. They are comparable in price around $95 ish off the net.

Phil

I have a Garmin Glo and an XGPS160. They both work well but I wish I had purchased a Bad Elf.

The Garmin switch unfortunately sits proud of the rest of the body and the unit is very easily activated by contact with something in my bag or pocket with result the battery is flattened.

The Dual works great and tucks out of the way in its rubber protective case, but it won't link to two units at the one time ( at least I can't get it to do that).

The. Bad Elf will run several at once. I have iPd, mini and iPhone and it would be nice to have them all keeping track of where I get to.

Kaz

• 2 weeks later...

Just researching this now

Dualxgps160 should connect to 5 devices, older 150 wouldnt

Badelf pro only works with apple gear and doesnt use Glonass sats, both of which are pretty big constraints. Does look good otherwise.

Just researching this nowDualxgps160 should connect to 5 devices, older 150 wouldnt

Badelf pro only works with apple gear and doesnt use Glonass sats, both of which are pretty big constraints. Does look good otherwise.

The Dual160 will connect to up to 5 devices but only one at a time as best as I can see. It automatically connects to the last device it was paired with.

Kaz

Specs and manual says can run many at once? Uses more battery

Looks a bit complex running with android,

Interesting ben, would have expected it to but spec dont mention it

My XGPS160 has 5 blue lights and when I turn it on it connects to my iPhone and iPad and there shows 2 of the lights. I just looked at my bluetooth settings on the devices and they both show connected.