efb software and screen size

shags_j

Hey guys

Just wanted ppls thoughts pls.

Looking at getting a tablet and am tossing up with screen sizes.

Has anyone used say oz runways or something on an iPad mini? I'm thinking the smaller screen size would be better to take up less cockpit task estate but us it big enough to read properly.

Cheers Shags

Ok I know you asked for ppl's and I only have a RAA certificate but I'm going to answer anyway. (Just a silly jab at ur abbreviations:wink:)

I haven't used an iPad mini but I use a iPad and iPhone. The iPad is awesome it is just like a chart only better, the iPhone is too small but if you try you can read it but not with ease. I have the iPhone set on my destination airport just so i remember the runway numbers when I make my calls. Nothing worse than getting halfway through your radio call and having a mental blank about which runway you are heading for:puzzled:035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif.

The mini should be fine with ozrunways unless you are trying to run too many extras like terrain etc as they eat up screen space.

The iPad takes up a lot of space but I don't mind as mine lives in the lap of my passenger or on the passenger seat (I have a knee dock but find it too cumbersome although maybe a mini on a knee dock would be perfect.)

Hey guysJust wanted ppls thoughts pls.

Looking at getting a tablet and am tossing up with screen sizes.

Has anyone used say oz runways or something on an iPad mini? I'm thinking the smaller screen size would be better to take up less cockpit task estate but us it big enough to read properly.

Cheers Shags

Yes I use oz runways on a Ipad mini and it is really good. No problems with size.

• Informative 1

Excellent thanks guys.

I'm actually not getting an iPad mini but a galaxy s 8.4. I figured iPad mini would be closest example that oz runways is on at the moment.

Thanks again guys.

Shags

I understand early mail is sometimes sent to the wrong address, like the ipad mini being a phablet that could make calls and texts, was going to be just what I needed, 2nd gen ipad mini didn't do it either. iPhone six in two screen sizes is no doubt recognition that samsung are onto something having a phone with a screen big enough for other than the teeny boppers to read their texts on. I know it won't cut it with CASA but it will cut it as a very useable small format recreational EFB with a printed copy to shut up the ramp police.

It depends on your eye sight and areas you fly in....

Out west or with great eyes a smartphone is great....

But for others an ipad is best....

If your happly glasses free id go an ipad mini ...but if your over 40 in glasses i cant imagine an ipad mini being sufficient in all situations... And it needs to be good in all situations.

• Agree 1

...but if your over 40 in glasses i cant imagine an ipad mini being sufficient in all situations... And it needs to be good in all situations.

Hey! I resemble that remark! 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Actually, I fly in bifocal sunnies where the lower part is focused at arm's length, so I have no problems at all with the mini. It is panel mounted so I don't have to have the touch screen lock turned on, meaning that if I want to read something more closely, it's one 2-finger salute to make the writing as large or small as I want. Works well (and there's another full size pad in the flight bag as backup, and printed maps if it's a major cross country as well. Belt *and* braces!).

Actually, I'll modify that "no problems at all" slightly. I've taken to wearing dark coloured shirts because the reflection of a white shirt on the iPad screen makes it a tad hard to read. The joys of a low wing conveyance.

Shags, I have both a mini and the full size iPad and have used them both on the ground and in the air. The mini is a clear winner for me in the cockpit. We have a RAM mount that allows it to be secured for takeoff and landing (as is the requirement) and provides a better line of sight compared to on your knee (dock).

At home, planning a flight the bigger the screen the better, so I use the full size iPad for that but the mini would be OK.

In general terms and for all non-aviation uses, I prefer the mini. I wouldn't buy another full size one.

The iPhone is OK for a desperation backup being vastly superior to nothing!

I bought the version with access to the mobile phone network and also a DUAL XGPS because of the greater reliability for GPS + GLONASS.

• Like 1

I have an ipad 2 with ram mount an my mrs has a mini....i prefer the full size...because in easy airspace or familiar airspace neither is an issue, where as when i need it most in unfamiliar airspace or crowded controlled steps i need everything i can get...

Without a doubt the mini is easier to fit, better to mount, cheaper, faster, better every where else...but i find the full size far better when i need it most...

For me an ipad mini is best everywhere except when i need ozrunways most

• Informative 1

Ive used both sizes and mini is better, bit are occassions where Id like to be able zoom in OzR. Maps are fine, just text like plans and weather, notams etc

Actually reckon this needs improvement in the software