CASA Flight Review in RA-AUS aircraft

rhysmcc

I think you are correct, Col. The world changes again and now I have to do two bi-annuals instead of one.

So much for the reduction in red tape Abbott promised!

Kaz

Part 61 AFR notification form just has VH-___

Seems that makes it quite clear then, VH only registered aircraft for AFR. I wonder why the same isn't on the application for initial license. Mind you, these forms are still only in draft form until the 1st of Sept.

I think you are correct, Col. The world changes again and now I have to do two bi-annuals instead of one.So much for the reduction in red tape Abbott promised!

Kaz

No. Do a GA AFR and submit copy of log book entry to RAAus and you will have same validity on your Pilot Cert.

I recently did this.

• Agree 2

AFR? Isn't GA also a BFR?

Nope. AFR now

I was curious about the AFR/BFR question. According to the new Flight Crew Licensing a flight review is required every 24 months for aircraft class and type ratings

• Aircraft class rating: every 24 months

• Aircraft type rating: every 24 months

• Private instrument flight rules rating: every 24 months

• Night visual flight rules rating: every 24 months

• Low level rating: every 12 months.

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/lib100191/rr61_aircraft_class_ratings_fs2.pdf

On the original question, I would figure it is okay to do the flight review in a CASA or RAA registration aircraft if it is considered to be of the same type.

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/lib100191/rr61_aircraft_type_rating_fs.pdf

61.800 Limitations on exercise of privileges of pilot type ratings—flight review

(1) The holder of a pilot type rating is authorised to exercise the privileges of the rating as the pilot in command of an aircraft only if the holder has, within the previous 24 months, successfully completed a flight review for the rating in accordance with subregulation (2).

(2) For subregulation (1), the flight review must be conducted in:

(a) an aircraft of the type covered by the rating; or

(b) an approved flight simulator for that type of aircraft.

(3) The holder is taken to meet the requirements of subregulation (1) if the holder:

(a) has passed a flight test for the rating within the previous 24 months; or

(b) has successfully completed an operator proficiency check that covers operations in the aircraft type within the previous 24 months; or ....

To summarise the reulations quoted in theis thread:

CASR 61.800

(2) For subregulation (1), the flight review must be conducted in: (a) an aircraft of the type covered by the rating;

CASR 61.245:

(1) The flight test for a flight crew licence, rating or endorsement must be conducted in: (a) an aircraft or an approved flight simulator for the purpose;

CASR 61.025

Aeroplane means an aeroplane that has flight controls providing control of the aeroplane in 3 axes.

CASA Aircraft Register Procedures Manual

2.3.2 Registration of Ultralight Aircraft

Whilst ultralights do not use the ICAO issued Australian prefix “VH” and they are not

registered in accordance with the provisions of the CASRs, CARs or this Manual, ultralight aircraft are considered to be Australian aircraft.

I see nothing that prevents a GA AFR being conducted in an RA aircraft provided the instructor has the necessary ratings in both. If the pilot has both a GA licence and an RA pilot certificate but has been flying exclusively in the RA aircraft then the obligation is to do the AFR in that aircraft of recent familiarity.

• Caution 1

I would suggest the Flight Review requirement under Part 61 must be performed by a suitably rated flight instructor who holds a Part 61 qualification. A GA. Instructor cannot exercise their Part 61 privileges in an RA registered aircraft.

To summarise the reulations quoted in theis thread:CASR 61.800

(2) For subregulation (1), the flight review must be conducted in: (a) an aircraft of the type covered by the rating;

Pilots with PPL are actually subject to 61.400....

61.400Limitations on exercise of privileges of pilot licences—flight review

(1)For this Part, successful completion of a flight review for a rating on a pilot licence requires demonstration, to a person mentioned in subregulation (2), that the holder of the rating is competent in each unit of competency mentioned in the Part61 Manual of Standards for the rating.

(2)For subregulation (1), the persons are as follows:

(a)CASA;

(b)the holder of an approval under regulation 61.040for this regulation;

©a pilot instructor who holds a training endorsement that authorises the person to conduct flight training for the rating.

(3)The flight review must be conducted in:

(a)an aircraft that can be flown under the rating; or

(b)an approved flight simulator for the flight review.

Kaz

Section 2.07-5-i of RAA ops manual states that a CASA AFR is good for high performance only. http://www.raa.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Section-2.07-Flight-Crew-Certificate-Pilot-Certificate.pdf

True up to a point, even though an Instrument Renewal (Command or Private) is an acceptable Flight Review RA-Aus will not accept this a a Flight Review, even though this "policy" is not found in the operations manual or in any regulation.

I have done several two-yearly flight tests in an RA aircraft and had both my GA and RA licences renewed. My school does both GA and RA training.I did my AFR last year in a C182 Retractable and this did not serve to renew my RA certificate.

Kaz

Kaz

I did my last review (Aug 13) in a 182 RG and RAA accepted mine the stamp in your log book just has to cover all the relevant items CAR 5.81, 5.108 or 5.169, just sent a copy of my log book page this year when due and all good.

I had previously questioned RAA on the BFR/AFR requirements for the low inertia aircraft their suggestion and it was only a suggestion not a requirement at the time that every second BFR (4 years) I do the BFR in both to cover the low inertia.

KazI did my last review (Aug 13) in a 182 RG and RAA accepted mine the stamp in your log book just has to cover all the relevant items CAR 5.81, 5.108 or 5.169, just sent a copy of my log book page this year when due and all good.

I had previously questioned RAA on the BFR/AFR requirements for the low inertia aircraft their suggestion and it was only a suggestion not a requirement at the time that every second BFR (4 years) I do the BFR in both to cover the low inertia.

Thanks, Aldo...I'll check out my school. Haven't actually flown RA for nearly 2 years but our club has a couple of Tecnams and I know I should have a try now and again.

Kaz

Thanks, Aldo...I'll check out my school. Haven't actually flown RA for nearly 2 years but our club has a couple of Tecnams and I know I should have a try now and again.Kaz

Kaz

Yeah I'm a bit more fortunate than most I did 220 hrs last year 120 in my J230 and another 80 in the 182 so I get to remain pretty current in both.

Aldo