16 members have voted

1. 1. Is the site any faster now

• Yes...much faster
    • Yes...only slightly faster
    • The same
    • No...slightly slower
    • No...much slower
    • No...slower because I am not in Australia

Hi All, as I mentioned a few months back the whole server thing was going to be looked at given the result of the analysis of users of the site. It has been determined that a move of the server back to Australia (Sydney actually) is going to improve everything for the majority of users. Currently we have an extreme overkill of a server that is based in the US and even though we have an enormous amount of resources to ensure the best performance possible, there is still the latency of you having to go back and forth to the US every time you view a page on the site. There is nothing I can do about that if the server is not here in Australia.

The negative of this is that it will create latency for International users using the site thus making the site slower for them. The other negative is the server here in Australia is slightly more expensive costing an extra $30 per month and is only matched to our current needs with some headroom for growth in its resources. For example current server has 16gig ram, new server has 8gig...current server has an E5-1650 processor that we are not even using 1/10 of a single core, new server has a E3-1225.

The positive is faster performance for Australian users.

So what will happen is in a couple of days the site will go down when it is being transferred to the new server and will not be accessible for some users till their ISP updates their IP tables to know where the new server is.

I apologise in advance for any inconvenience this may cause

• Like 1

Everyone in Australia should be saving the time it took to go to the US and back again every time you load a page or image etc then before as the latency has been dramatically reduced

Hi Ian

Good job, well done. I know what sort of work is required to get something like this done. A professional web developer would charge in the thousands to configure a new server, do the migration, complete the testing then update the DNS settings - and you do this for nothing.

Just like you to know how appreciated you are.

Thanks Mate

Puddles_7 ✈️

• Informative 1

Hi Ian,Does the search engine need re-indexing? I searched for Jabiru and had 1 hit..? That just cannot be right..004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

[ATTACH=full]32366[/ATTACH]

Working on it mate...we use a special type of search here called Elasticsearch which doesn't seem to be working at the moment

It will come good when the internet sorts out where the server is now Nev

I am really enjoying the fast speed myself now when doing anything like backing up, downloading etc so whilst the new server does cost more I hope everyone is enjoying the benefit of it

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have logged in as Corrine who has standard user rights:

aust_tree.gif.0284875f10a556b05378269488ee2d35.gif

and it seems the uploading of images is working ok.

Can you advise what image extension you are trying to upload and if the file is larger than 250kb