Anyone like gliding?

hughesj

So I just learned to fly a glider and I am absolutely loving it. I love how you need to be a good pilot to fly for long periods of time, rather than just staying up until you want to come down. You have to fly the plane super accurately and really work to find thermals and things.

Anyone else here a glider pilot?

Jason

• Like 2

I think you will find quite a few who have done it, and I doubt that many of them would disagree with you, about it being a good thing, and a different set of skills..I'm sure your learning will continue what ever you fly.. Nev

I flew up to Porepunkah and Mount Beauty today because it was such lovely weather.

Quite a bit of thermal activity and bugger-all wind.

Was impressed to see 4 hang gliders very low and in close to the side of a mountain just south of Porepunkah. They were way over the bush slopes so I reckon they are either very experienced and game or taking a hell of a risk because there weren't any open patches in the tree canopy.

Obviously they were getting some form of lift there, thermal or adiabatic, but I wouldn't have been that low in something with three times the LD.

Looked good, though!

Kaz

• Like 1

Just back from a week at Darling Downs Soaring Club hosting some Kiwis. Plenty of puss taking from both sides, and 6 days of glorious weather.

Bit of gliding, bit of towing, bit of carousing. All good fun.

Robert

Those hang gliders down low on the side of a mountain were probably ridge soaring. they find a ridge wheere the wind is blowing up the slope and can run back and to gaining height when necessary. I will have to go back to gliding again, it is so quiet after power flying. Last time I tried it I ran out of cash before I ran out of lift, then two friends went up and couldn't find any lift.

• Helpful 1

".......Obviously they were getting some form of lift there, thermal or adiabatic, but I wouldn't have been that low in something with three times the LD.

Looked good, though!

Kaz

I'm getting old! I meant anabatic lift. Not much thermal activity over the forest and only gentlest breeze, but quite warm in the sun.

Kaz

I just joined this group today and am a commercially rated (I can take paying passengers) glider pilot in the U.S. I own an ASW 15 and fly in the eastern part of the country. Ridge season is here and I just missed out on a good day on the Appalachian ridges. My glider is based five hours away and I had to attend a family function while my friends were flying hundreds of kilometers without turning. Maybe, next time! Welcome to the world of soaring. It never gets old.

Yesterday I flew my paraglider at Flowerdale from a 750' hill in very light wind and thermals. The first flight I got to 2400' then bombed out and landed. After relaunching I had to scratch around far ages, got as low as a couple of hundred feet but then found a slow climb that eventually took me to 4500'. I managed to get to Glenburn with subsequent climbs barely over 3000'. Laurie

Ps I have some video of the flight that needs to be edited

Yesterday I flew my paraglider at Flowerdale from a 750' hill in very light wind and thermals. The first flight I got to 2400' then bombed out and landed. After relaunching I had to scratch around far ages, got as low as a couple of hundred feet but then found a slow climb that eventually took me to 4500'. I managed to get to Glenburn with subsequent climbs barely over 3000'. LauriePs I have some video of the flight that needs to be edited

Oooohhh! I regularly fly a track almost exactly due south from Shepp to GBR and then through the Gap into the Yarra Valley (and back again) . It's quite busy with aircraft but I haven't SEEN any flying bed sheets there.

Is this area regularly used by para gliders?

Kaz

Oooohhh! I regularly fly a track almost exactly due south from Shepp to GBR and then through the Gap into the Yarra Valley (and back again) . It's quite busy with aircraft but I haven't SEEN any flying bed sheets there.Is this area regularly used by para gliders?

Kaz

Yes. We look for forecasts of light northerlies and clear skies. I'll make sure to keep an eye out for your old clunker! Laurie

There are some days flying a glider is like magic. You can be 100 km from home, at 10,000 ft, without any worry at all about getting home.

In the Jabiru, I'm always looking at where I could go if the engine stopped.

Mind you, there are lots of days when there are no decent thermals and the Jabiru is great.

Gliding is a great adjunct to ultra lighting. It allows tuition in spinning and I think we all should know about that. Also, you get frequent safe practice making slow turns on the edge of stalling - the ability to instantly recognise and correct a wing drop might one day save my life in an ultralight (by not letting it happen in the first place).

• Agree 3

Yes. We look for forecasts of light northerlies and clear skies. I'll make sure to keep an eye out for your old clunker! Laurie

"Clunker"?...I probably deserved that. slap.gif.22f77bb1d8f43ded898b9ffe8198a15e.gif

Do you land at the grass airstrip about 3 NM West of Glenburn? If you have his/her contact details, I'd like to get permission from the owner to use it if the gap is closed and I need to wait a while.

Kaz

• Like 1

Yesterday I ended up about a mile south east of that strip. I'd left my car at the old pub site and didn't quite make it. I've heard that the owner of that paddock strip is not local and is not keen on anyone using it. As an aside, I did end up landing there several years ago in a C172 when the 'slide' closed in with very non VFR weather. The pub was still there then and we had a nice dinner there.

As for me refering to your Auster as a clunker, that's probably a bit harsh. I just get a bit jack of derogatory remarks because you may not be flying the same type of aircraft, be it Jabiru powered, Rotax powered, Lycontinental powered, hang glider, sail plane, rotor craft etc........ Flying 'bedsheets' (jellies, tea bags.....) are pretty mininalist but you are absolutely flying 'by the seat of your pants'. The flight yesterday was 1 hour 43 minutes and I did not burn a single drop of fuel.

Laurie

Yesterday I ended up about a mile south east of that strip. I'd left my car at the old pub site and didn't quite make it. I've heard that the owner of that paddock strip is not local and is not keen on anyone using it. As an aside, I did end up landing there several years ago in a C172 when the 'slide' closed in with very non VFR weather. The pub was still there then and we had a nice dinner there.

I grew up in East Ivanhoe just down the road from the Jones's. Allan was racing go karts then.

..... Flying 'bedsheets' (jellies, tea bags.....) are pretty mininalist but you are absolutely flying 'by the seat of your pants'. The flight yesterday was 1 hour 43 minutes and I did not burn a single drop of fuel.

I did about the same and burned 55 litres! But it was really nice doing it.

Kaz

• Like 1