Jabiru Development, then........ Hydraulic Lifters........

Keenaviator

Can anyone suggest a reliable CHT/EGT monitoring guage for my Jab? Just for my engine I have nine steam guages on my panel. The EGT and CHT have started giving dodgy readings so I'd better bite the bullet and get modern.

Maybe we need a thread just for suggested Jab engine improvements.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lot of information not available to the operators. its only taken a couple of weeks for Jabiru to check and give engineering analysis on the RA cracked heads issue, so the info is there but not shared unless it suits the situation.

When the SB for throughbolts appeared, they also published AVDAL SR050 and later AVDAL SR071

where are the other 70 AVDAL SRs, and the "advisory engine bulletins" - I have seen #17 and #18 (dec. 2010) - but what about the other 16?

The missing bulletins might be all trivial but what is in them?

People suggest removing the dynamo assembly and replacing it with a belt driven alternator, seems a good idea, but is it really going to reduce cyclic loads to the flywheel bolt assembly? The ignition magnets are mounted offset on the ali flywheel plate, so might flail about more with firing pulses in the rotation of that assembly? Might the dynamo magnets and frame have a dampening role here - where removal changes the situation? Jabiru must have done the analysis when designing the starfish - even though that analysis didnt affect the outcome - similarly they must have a lot of reasons to change the throughbolts, but not telling how they reached those conclusions.

We do know from recent issues of Jaba Chat, the reasons for staying with the single carb and I accept that information - no point waiting around for an official version with EFI - there are aftermarket kits for this or the alternate engines that branched from the J2200 design - the ULpower, D-motor and CAE. Which is OK for me as I'm allowed a choice. I suppose if the aircraft category permits no mods, users are stuck with whats officially available.