Flying circuits at home. For Free.

Nope. Just different and IF you push the handlebars of the bike right as you lean left you are going to meet the pavement.

But then of course on a motorcycle that is exactly how you turn left. Push the left bar away from you and lean left and around you go.

Cheers Geoff13

But then of course on a motorcycle that is exactly how you turn left. Push the left bar away from you and lean left and around you go.Cheers Geoff13

Hmmm not getting this one - if I want to turn LEFT on a bike (motor or otherwise) I tend to push my right hand forward and let my left had come back and lean left into the turn.

I was about 6 the last time I tried turning left by pushing the left hand forward on the handlebar and I seem to recall it ended in my meeting gravel at speed.

Its called counter steering. There is no end of disscussion on it in many forums, but to cut it short due to the gyroscopic effect of the wheel to get a bike to lean left you must first urn the wheel to the right. The bigger and heavier the wheel the more pronounced the effect. That is why most people do not notice it on push bikes and many dont on motorcycles. The effect is the same as in a plane. In an emergency those who do it natuarally without concious thought survive and those that don't well they don't.

Cheers Geoff13

• Agree 1

Yep - BUT for an actual weightshift student its best to not complicate control training by trying to get that across particularly as its not really common on most weighshift wings and not needed to initiate a turn. The one in my profile is an execption as its pretty nuetral on stability and the way to throw the wing around IS to counter steer ... but for the most part and for most wings we don't teach that and the first time a student sees it is when we demo unusual attitudes and use a counter turn to get it ALL mixed up in a big way very fast.

The reason I said i didn't get is exactly that - a student learning weightshift control should not be focussing on counter steer as the actual bar movements they need to learn are nearly all single movement in one direction and really amount to just pressure changes in steady flight.

For weightshift, just think of your body as the joystick. Push your body left, initiate a left turn. Of course, this is only applicable to 3 axis pilots converting to weightshift. If you learn ab-initio weightshift, control sense seems pretty intuitive (at least it felt that way to me).

Bruce

Hmmm not getting this one - if I want to turn LEFT on a bike (motor or otherwise) I tend to push my right hand forward and let my left had come back and lean left into the turn.

It is easy to prove counter steering to yourself. Just enter a left turn with your right hand off the handlebar, and your left hand held flat BEHIND the left handlebar. Now take the turn - you'll get round fine, and there's no way you could have turned the bars left.

This works best on a motorbike, preferably a big one, as there is more gyroscopic energy in the heavier wheels. But it still works on a pushbike.

And one final point. Although countersteering is the only way to get round a bend at speed, when you're going really slowly, the steering is opposite - i.e. push left bar, go right. so it follows that at some speed, the handlebars will have no effect! 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...
Just limit your training on bike circuits to 3-axis pilot training ... us weight shift chaps and chapesses would not appreciate the result of mimicing the turn left on the bike = push bar right and lean left ... bandaids and benadine anyone ;-)

In fact it is very much the same on a push bike, to initiate a left hand turn you haveto put handle bar rig to gt your CG left of centre to counteract the centrifugal force wen turning and at he end of the left hand turn push left to align Your CG back with the axis of te bike :). We just don't realise because we do it intuitively.

That's the deal. The "Cabin" sits on hydraulics and really moves around to simulate accelerations. Very costly items. Have a go in one if you get the opportunity. Nev

It's probably cheaper to buy a plane.

• Winner 1