Do we go back to the paddock

Garry Morgan

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What engine is the Valley engineering engine based on?

Is the 50hp/55kg 4st the right mix, compromise?

http://www.culverprops.com/big-twin.php

I do have some plans (drawings) for the 1/2 vw but I think it really needs it's own designed/cast case rather than cut down 4 cyl cases.

I believe the V twin will have less driveline problems even though the firing pulses are not as even.. 45 HP is only for single seat unless its a pretty high aspect ratio jigger. Look up DH 53.. They flew with 26 HP. as a Blackburn Vee twin power unit. Blackburn are also called Cirrus in aviation products. Nev

They tried a Jabiru twin and it vibrated too much because of the amount of cylinder offset. You need to reduce that as much as feasibly possible. Nev

Exactly and the issue (rocking) with doing a modular engine such as in the second half of this video ..

The 18hp v twin flyies a quicky at 90kts and a single seat goes very well like a 40hp rotax.

I expect a 40hp v twin will fly a two seater, or a three seater ground effect machine. A two seat cub type aircraft, all alloy tube rivited together, and fabric covered could be a very cheap aircraft. You could put in a VW also

• Like 3

... A two seat cub type aircraft, all alloy tube rivited together, and fabric covered could be a very cheap aircraft. You could put in a VW also

Something similar in appearance to the Savage Bobber? Yes please!

Unfortunately, wing fold (somehow) and trailerability are 'must have' options as much as I don't like it. A 28 foot airplane weighing 100kgs costs the same in a hangar as a Cessna 172...And , these days that is $100 plus per week....Neither am I altogether in favour of Alu. covering. The handling will cause lots of "hangar rash" which will spoil it quickly.......Is a fabric covered alu. wing possible?

• Agree 1

All our aircraft will go into a trailor, a hangar is a big cost and this is where we are trying to get away from. Motors yes all the v twins are heavy but it is cost. I just got a hirth f33 28hp it has all the options and $6500.00 landed. Fabric V alloy its your choice, but a slightly longer nose for the weight.

How simple or how much work does one want to put into a small aircraft. The more work put in the nicer the aircraft, and higher the performance. From a thruster / to a cub/ or like the RF4 motor glider. or all. I have just done a plan for a daimond for a guy with a longer fuse and a 11-13m wing as a motor glider he will put in a VW. It is like a RF4 but simple and a metal wing. As a mater of interest the super daimond wing spar is ok up to 13m, that makes the daimond about a 15G aircraft, and in the sierra at 600kg its 8G.

Simple is not always light, but it can be cheaper to get into the air. Interested to here if you would build or like to fly away, and at what cost, also would you register it or just go and fly as we did in the 70-80s.

Typical sort of thread; Guy offers possible cheap basic, simple plane so clients all start listing the options/capabilities they want included. 052_no_way.gif.ab8ffebe253e71283aa356aade003836.gif

As Henry Ford said: "If I listened to what the clients wanted, we would be still riding around on horses".

Gary, I don't think you can produce an aircraft any more cheaply than you are already, the technology involved is fairly mature, unless you can introduce mass produced parts you aren't going to achieve any significant cost savings.

• Caution 1