Martin Jetpack Company valued at $100m in IPO........

cooperplace

well, they claim that it can safely recover the device from a height of a few meters, but I'm thinking of reaction time: if the engine stops at 50' , and it takes the pilot, say, 2 seconds to react and pull the lever, by then it might be too late. At least with wings you can glide.

• Agree 1

It can handle a fall from a few mts. They recommend that you do not fly in the too low for recover altitude. IE lift off and go straight to height. It now has a pretty amazing flight director you can give it a command and take you hand off the joystick and it will hover awaiting next input or you can just go along for the ride. Computer will also fire off the BRS if needed. Seems it is software limited in ability now. I wonder who will win the big buy up? India or China?

if you have a reaction time of 2 seconds you should not be flying anything bar a kite

really? When did you last have an engine failure? or any in-flight unexpected event? Perhaps you're extremely fast in your thinking, evaluation, and reactions, but studies show 3 seconds is closer to the mark, when you include the time required for the "what exactly is happening?", "is this really happening to me?" and "what do I do next?" thought processes. It's not just the reaction time. My own experience supports this.

The point is, if the jetpack engine stops, the pilot's mind has to go through multiple steps before he/she pulls the lever that operates the ballistic chute.

Hopefully, of course, I'm completely wrong, and no-one flying one of these has any such calamity befall them.

• Agree 3

of course you wouldn't dawdle in the transition layer; and with more altitude would come greater safety because of the ballistic chute, but it seems to me that every landing and takeoff exposes the pilot to considerable risk.

• Agree 1

yep but don't dawdle in the transition layer, or only fly as high as you want to fall.

"Transition layer" as in "What The Faaarrrr ......", i.e. confusion, turns into "Oh Faaarrrrr ....." as in realisation?

Stupid valuations, the figures just aren't there.

• Winner 1

In reality , pilots should be mentay prepaired for engin failure every take off and landing .

Ive had 3 instances where a below safe height incident has required imediate action .

, and believe me faaar.. Is the last thing on your mind !

Gee what a loud response............... All I said was" If you have a reaction time of 2 seconds then you should only fly a kite" Then I get a lecture from someone who does not know me , about how I would react to an emergency....What a crock...Reaction times are very important. I know engines well, I believe that an engine will give you warning that it is going to stop. (less so, for 2 strokes)... If you are listening .... That bit about "Oh Dear, is this happening to me " and "what shall I do next" or " My, what is happening" smacks of someone not expecting anything to go wrong and not paying attention....No wonder it would take someone in that frame of mind 15 seconds to take action.........I turn my noise cancelling headset off during take off and landing, and , occasionally during flight, just to listen to the engine and I've got a 0-200, which is fairly reliable.............

according to The Age:http://www.theage.com.au/business/aviation/glenn-martins-jetpack-dream-achieves-liftoff-as-martin-aircraft-ipo-rises-on-debut-20150224-13j3s5.html

it has a ballistic chute, but what if there's a power failure at 50 feet?

Well it will sound like this... ker ssplatt then probably a ker boom

• Haha 1

I dunno about this Martin jet pack IMO it is way over priced and not really practicable.

I wouldn't knock back one of those aerial motorbike type thing in Star Wars though. The one the they weaving through the tall trees on.014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

• Agree 2

Bah your all a bunch of sissies:amazon:

I'd love one except for the price:wink:

Although I reckon the fear of falling would take me some getting used to standing on that little rail. (Yes I know you are strapped on)

Also I'd like to see a skid rail in front of my face, not that I'm overly good looking but the thought of scratching my nose along the ground doesn't ap(peel) to me

• Agree 1

I managed to wake up early enough to catch the 5 minute blurb on the jet pack. showed a few BRS firings and stated minimum height for deployment was only 8 meters.

Fly by wire and if you get scared just let go of the sick and it goes into hover. Main customers will be 'first respondents'. I'll take mine with two Dillon mini Gatling guns.

So you think a helicopter is any different? Hover below 50' and recovery from an engine failure is going to be challenging to say the least, but no BRS to break the fall there. Sure you could put wings on it but then you would need forward speed which kinda defeats the point? Maybe you would be better off safely on the ground...