Savannah S dream machine

Guy s

That's what I do, cut the top off the grip and sand it smooth, put on in the stick upsidedown (best side up), get a correct size plastic pipe stopper with push button fitted and put in open end of stick. Works well. Will post a photo if you want.

That will be useful!

Nice looking dash Guy, tell us about those electronic instruments, what are they?

Hi Rick,

The added instruments are a Xcom VHF dual watch

Trig transponder ADS-b

PAI-700 Vertical magnetic compass as never like chasing the round ball around.

Trutrak Gemini A/H with the usual speed,height for a little piece of mind and a neat compact lightweight unit.

And a elevator trim gauge.

Cheers Guy.

• 1 month later...

13063411_862144713931665_3186031473741599299_o.jpg.8539b0fe0282cca3e4bd7147881c1071.jpg

Just a quick update, the Sav is basically finish with a few minor things to finish off before I get it inspected and signed off, which will hopefully happen in a few weeks.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Way to go. You haven't mucked around lately, I could use a bit of your momentum.

Well you better get cracking Steve so we can go flying together. the Dynamic Duo 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

[ATTACH=full]42716[/ATTACH]Just a quick update, the Sav is basically finish with a few minor things to finish off before I get it inspected and signed off, which will hopefully happen in a few weeks.

It's a lovely looking bird, Guy!

• Informative 1

Beautiful!!!....and I'm about to finally begin.....)

A good kit to build Bob as the quality and how everything matches up is exceptional. Occasionally I got stumped and its good to be able to ring someone up to help you through the problem, thanks to (Mark Kyle,Steve-Rankamateur and Reg Brost) 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif for helping me out and those that replied on this thread-Rick etc. Cheers.

The Savannah weight in at 307 kgs so with 2 85kgs blokes and 20kgs of luggage it can carry full fuel 146 ltrs which is not bad.

I'm sure you'll have a blast Bob like I did and watching it take shape as you go along, make sure you post the progress.

A good kit to build Bob as the quality and how everything matches up is exceptional. Occasionally I got stumped and its good to be able to ring someone up to help you through the problem, thanks to (Mark Kyle,Steve-Rankamateur and Reg Brost) 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif for helping me out and those that replied on this thread-Rick etc. Cheers.The Savannah weight in at 307 kgs so with 2 85kgs blokes and 20kgs of luggage it can carry full fuel 146 ltrs which is not bad.

I'm sure you'll have a blast Bob like I did and watching it take shape as you go along, make sure you post the progress.

Thank you Guy, I'm looking forward. I never expected to be doing this...but that seems to be the story of my life too.

I'm hoping to get the build complete in the coming year (although I also know that in the end it'll take as long as it takes). You seem to have moved pretty fast, and I'd be interested to know your estimated hours?

I didn't bother keeping a track of the hours Bob but it has taken about 14 months to get this stage. I was luckily enough to start the build out the backroom of the house so guess where i was spending my nights and so got plenty done though winter in my quiet time before I got busy again with work.

Also when I hit a snag and got a little frustrated I would walk away, and quiet often I would see the light of my problem while working or I would wake up in bed a day or 2 later.

I didn't bother keeping a track of the hours Bob but it has taken about 14 months to get this stage. I was luckily enough to start the build out the backroom of the house so guess where i was spending my nights and so got plenty done though winter in my quiet time before I got busy again with work.Also when I hit a snag and got a little frustrated I would walk away, and quiet often I would see the light of my problem while working or I would wake up in bed a day or 2 later.

Okay. I'm semi-retired, and hope to be able to put plenty of hours into this. I've spent far longer than anticipated building a shed out back...which I'm very happy with, just a damn shame I can't fit it with wings and an engine!

Can I ask also what paint system you used?

Also how you applied the black stuff at the joins???

I use a small roller about 20 mm wide to applied the black stuff which i kept in a jar of water ready to go. I mask everything off with masking tape so keeping everything tidy and not painting unwanted areas. Also you'll need a small brush to get at area's the roller can't reach.

I use a Chromate undercoat and 2 pack for the topcoat from Rextel Aerospace coatings.

I use a small roller about 20 mm wide to applied the black stuff which i kept in a jar of water ready to go. I mask everything off with masking tape so keeping everything tidy and not painting unwanted areas. Also you'll need a small brush to get at area's the roller can't reach.I use a Chromate undercoat and 2 pack for the topcoat from Rextel Aerospace coatings.

Thank you. There seem to be a lot of prime/paint options, and I'm trying to work out which way I'll go.

It can also be quite hard, I find, getting specifics of how others have used paint systems: some of the responses here are quite (unintentionally) ambiguous.

I'm looking to use masking tape, I see that it has done a neat job for you. Is this the small roller referred to on other blogs, no longer available, or a general purpose small roller cut down to 20mm? Is it foam?

Thank you. There seem to be a lot of prime/paint options, and I'm trying to work out which way I'll go.It can also be quite hard, I find, getting specifics of how others have used paint systems: some of the responses here are quite (unintentionally) ambiguous.

I'm looking to use masking tape, I see that it has done a neat job for you. Is this the small roller referred to on other blogs, no longer available, or a general purpose small roller cut down to 20mm? Is it foam?

I think it would be great if someone started a Savannah paint system THREAD on this forum. There are so many options and it would be great to get different people's experiences in a single thread.

I couldn't find a small roller so just made do with a bigger foam roller and cut it down to roughly 20mm, a little mucking around but works a treat.

The paint I got from Rextel was a little on the expensive side and knowing what I know now I would've still got the Chromate undercoat to help prevent unwanted corrosion etc but I would then just use a good 2 pack car paint for the final coat.

There is a knock off version of the paint buddy roller on the internet sometimes (They have a dark Blue top) but the tank leaks and the roller is crap so don't worry about them, About three years ago I got one of the very last original ones that was being discontinued. I went through 3 rolls of 38mm masking tape doing masking for the black mastic. Don't leave the tape on any longer than needed to dry the black or the gum dries out and you will wreck the black layer soaking it off with solvent.

Thanks again, Guy & RA.

This info is all gold for me & very much appreciated.

Got DIY shelving finished today. Fit and wire lighting & power in the next couple of days. Then I'll be ready, finally, to move the box from the little shed.

I shall lie awake tonight trying out various schemes for moving it......)

• Like 1