What's happening at AAK?

Maybe the original started with a B ................ :wink:Don't tell scotty I gave you a hint.

and without the vowels it might have been a L_T Bl_n_k

• Like 1

and without the vowels it might have been a L_T Bl_n_k

Winsor is going to be pissed if you get it before him. But I guess it's to late now. Better this than seeing a majestic old lady sitting on the scrap heap.

How much?Or if you don't know, at what price point do you consider the use of the term "affordable" appropriate please?

I need to be back in Taree sooner than later, will be good to drop in again, darn nice people.

Bit hard to come up with a firm price at this stage of development but it's the same with any of Ole's aircraft. There is no such thing as a standard plane. You want this or that in on or around it, it can be done at a cost. Look at Sam's plane, he has a bigger property than me so he got a bigger hat compartment and fishing rod locker than I did.

I know Ole is definitely looking to keep the price as low as possible with the Bee Free without compromising any of his build quality or strength. Trouble is he is not getting enough time to spend on the project yet so give him a call and get him working on it a bit more cause I think this will be a winner.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1

(Of course Bex Aussie affordable could be different to China cheap)

Sure, but I was already building 'cheap' decent stuff for people in Oz previously, but I always had 3 or 4 business interests on the go at the same time. It's a problem if you have a singular line of business and limited scope when you have a factory and staff and only supplying a few units per year.

For low volume stuff, China is cheap but isn't as cheap as people might think by the time you include the training, wastage and resourcing. It's the cost of living and Government support that makes it sustainable.

Still doesn't answer my question though, anyone want to guess what an affordable price range for a Part 103 is?

• Like 1

Well for me I would say well under 10k including motor, then it's just about how much work I would be happy to do and how complete you could get the kit.

I don't know what a little motor is worth maybe you could get the whole lot for under 5??

• Like 1

Well for me I would say well under 10k including motor, then it's just about how much work I would be happy to do and how complete you could get the kit.I don't know what a little motor is worth maybe you could get the whole lot for under 5??

Thanks. $10K sounds more realistic, for a whole plane, kit should be cheaper still.

Part 103 can be supplied as a whole plane apparently and I think they generally start around $15K up ready to fly.

The Scirooco NG carbon fiber one with Briggs and Stratton is around $35K, bit of a joke me thinks.

• Like 2

Sure, but I was already building 'cheap' decent stuff for people in Oz previously, but I always had 3 or 4 business interests on the go at the same time. It's a problem if you have a singular line of business and limited scope when you have a factory and staff and only supplying a few units per year.For low volume stuff, China is cheap but isn't as cheap as people might think by the time you include the training, wastage and resourcing. It's the cost of living and Government support that makes it sustainable.

Still doesn't answer my question though, anyone want to guess what an affordable price range for a Part 103 is?

Hi Bex. Ole won't design and build to a price. Maybe cheap is the wrong wording to use. Affordability is something different to different people as Sam said. The same as the Hornet Cub is a smaller plane to the Hornet STOL so it costs less to produce. So it's sells at a cheaper price. The traditional, proven all metal build is not compromised at all so strength and safety are not forsaken to lower the cost. Less material...less weight....less cost but same strength. You would understand that. With the Free Bee this is a 95-10 low MTOW, single seat, open cockpit, low HP engine means lower cost to build, so those cost savings are passed on to the purchaser. But you still ad in the responsive light controls and manuverable handling that Ole's planes are renowned for and have been proven in the field over the years and that is were I claim the fun comes into the equation. The Free Bee is R&D so to pay the bills Ole must continue with the two planes under construction at present as well as the repair and maintainance jobs and modification jobs like the Jab. But I'm sure if he gets the interest I think he will in a "cheap, fun" machine he will get back onto it and will be able to give us all a firm price. Ring him, talk to him let him know what you want and you might get a surprise.

• Agree 1

Hi Scotty, thanks for taking the time, appreciate it.

I'm not a purchaser, I am just day dreaming where I could slot something into the Part 103 market, probably shouldn't be doing that here in your topic thread sorry.

I've met Ole a couple of times and I have a lot of respect for him and I am happy to point people his way - which I have done previously.

• Like 1

Maybe the original started with a B ................ :wink:Don't tell scotty I gave you a hint.

Yes...I know it's a Blanik...the VIVAT was an L13 with staggered side by side seating....and Lombach motor I think...and conventional undercarriage...

• Caution 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spent some time with Ole again yesterday and was talking about the Free Bee. He has come across these, http://www.polini.com/en/page_719.html. 36.5 HP @ under 20kg, water cooled and duel ignition. Neat looking unit. Has anyone had any experience with them? Used on para motors. Also found this while looking. [MEDIA=vimeo]86765652[/MEDIA]. Some people have to much fun.

• Like 3

He has come across these, http://www.polini.com/en/page_719.html. 36.5 HP @ under 20kg, water cooled and duel ignition. Neat looking unit. Has anyone had any experience with them?

I have lots of experience with similar 2 stroke motocross bikes if it's a help - no problems in this day and age but some may not like the reality of 40 hour ring and 120 hour piston changes although it's only an hour's work to complete those tasks which you can do easily at home yourself.

• Informative 2

• 5 weeks later...

Spent some more time at Ole's yesterday but forgot the camera. Interesting day though. Ole finished of the replacement of a sparg clutch and gearbox inspection on a Gyro and another happy customer flew it home yesterday. The Jabatax (my naming) is all finished and the paperwork was sent off so waiting for the red tape now. I'll get some photos next week cause it's a neat job, very impressed. Then the quick build kit for the SubSonex arrived in the afternoon so helped unload that. The owner is real keen to get stuck into that so I'll try a keep you all up to date with pics. Can't wait to see that fly. Definitely going to be a rocket ship, and the smell! Put the kit beside the Flamingo and you could'nt have two planes any more different. A tiny speed machine tucked in under the massive wing of a beast that flys with full control at 28knts. Mind blowing.

• Like 3

Bexrbetter, if you come to Taree NSW, as posted above, please make sure to let me know, I am in Forster just 30 minutes down the road.

Awesome, love Forster and would love to look at your Sea Ray, will bring my togs! Has great Chinese take-away as well!

... or was it Tuncurry I like better? 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

I have to go to Taree, it's a given, nothing to do with planes either.

Ole and Guy checking out the quick build kit for the SubSonex. As You can see Guy does get a bit excited. If the truth be known I can't wait to see and smell it fly too.

Now are they real tyres Sam?

image.jpg.9ac8bf59bd78b452a01da804712e8bb5.jpg

image.jpg.c6609e8efdc55f17ef277a899f21ebf3.jpg

image.jpg.fbdcb406c5b39d040f6c91f215ad5675.jpg

image.jpg.5bb6007a943df73a4eb17a798b1da811.jpg

image.jpg.2a16418095704f41a201b7acef06b29d.jpg

image.jpg.09339ee505941be81fc0e57cc8446b4e.jpg

image.jpg.d6e7e792242f6032f825638f9a47004b.jpg

image.jpg.74aef808cd8bba3f739ec4024f02128e.jpg

• Like 2

Looks great, can we have a build log and lots of pictures please.

Don't get down there as much as I would like these days but I will try to keep you all up to date with the build with as many pics as I can. Don't forget though if you have any questions just give Ole a ring and you will find he is very helpful. Nice bloke too but don't tell him I said that or he'll get a swelled head.

• Agree 1