Pilot safety messaging '43 style.

The End ... unless:

255792672_TheEnd...unless.jpg.3235f76db49528ce8946b01494d2eb47.jpg

Apart from how spookily relevant this film remains, what's fascinating is the extent to which the resources of Hollywood (imaginative and otherwise) were thrown into the war effort - even training films.

I've heard that film industry workers were 'protected' from the draft. I can see why that might have been so.

• Agree 1

Good someone has restored this stuff but it's really dated. I wonder how it went down at the time. Nev

Nev

I thought this would have been played when you learnt to fly, haha.

Thing is nothing has changed in 70 years pilots still kill themselves the same way for the same dumb avoidable reasons.

Aldo

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

So why do pilots kill themselves for the same dumb avoidable reasons?

I challenge everyone here on this forum, to take a real good hard look at themselves, then say, you`ve never done anything, that you later considered to be a dumb thing to do!...... I`m not only talking about flying.

So far this year, there have been 17 fatal car accidents in the Cairns ( Nth QLD ) area, the latest being a 75 year old man and it occurred yesterday...I very much doubt they all set out to " Kill Themselves ", yet they did.

My father (now deceased) had been driving all his life without a single accident, on this particular day, as he did a right hand turn, off the highway, he heard a loud bang and saw a guy flying through the air in front of him!.... My father was in the correct lane, almost stopped, then proceeded to cross the highway!... He had pulled out in front of a guy on a motor bike...He swore that he never saw the bike coming...The bike had completely taken off the front of his car.....Miraculously the guy only received a broken leg......There was a clear view, so why didn`t my father see the bike coming?

Looking back over the years, from when I started flying, I see, a lot of the fatal accidents, have occurred to pilots who were considered to be the best among us!.... I don`t believe for a second, they set out to Kill Themselves.....Why did they do what they did?.....I don`t believe the answer is in more regulation or better training.....Regulation and training are only part of the equation!

Frank.

• Agree 1

Unfortunate but people will always make bad choices weather in charge of machinery or every day choices there are informed or misinformed choices some don't have a choice someone else take that choice away but good management of the choices we do have will always lesson the chance of things going wrong not eliminating but managing the outcome to with your control

so this old clip is still very inlighting of the way things are today

Doug

I wonder if there's anything realistic the guy could have done following the other pilot with the hard landing? The film implied that the first guy saw it (yep, sprung landing gear) and didn't report it. Wouldn't the second guy have picked that up? Or, if its not visible and hadn't been reported, what really could he have done? that's one of the things that makes me worry about hiring at the club/school.

Gees ayavner, you beat me to the punch! I`ll post mine anyway.

There is a psychological reason, for everything we do!......As far as I`m aware, it has been proven scientifically, that when driving a motor vehicle, if you are not expecting to see a motor motorbike, chances are you will not see it!

In the movie on this thread, a pilot did a heavy landing. When he got out of the aircraft, he looked at the landing gear under one wing and noticed the wing was damaged. He reported it verbally, to a superior officer, who told him to fill out a written report. Due to his pride he decided not to put in a written report. The next pilot who flew the aircraft had a fatal accident, due to the damaged wing braking off.

Did the pilot of the fatal accident, do a pre-flight inspection?...If so, why did he not see that the wing was damaged?...If he didn`t do a pre-flight inspection, then why didn`t he?

It`s all good and well to say, " If all pilots stick to the long proven methods, there should be fewer, if not, zero accidents" , but I don`t believe that it is that simple.....The human brain is a very complex thing.

Way back when! one of my students was going through a really rough time, in his personal life. I would say to him, ( Name withheld) "You don`t go flying to get your head straight, you get your head straight, to go flying."

Frank.

• Like 1

but in that day didn't pilot rely on ground crew to do all the ground prep as they would be ready in case of a raid ?

in movies you would see all the pilots sitting around all play criket then the air raid siren would go of no time for preflight up and atthem ....

but in that day didn't pilot rely on ground crew to do all the ground prep as they would be ready in case of a raid ?in movies you would see all the pilots sitting around all play criket then the air raid siren would go of no time for preflight up and atthem ....

maybe I watch too many movies .........

My father (now deceased) had been driving all his life without a single accident, on this particular day, as he did a right hand turn, off the highway, he heard a loud bang and saw a guy flying through the air in front of him!.... My father was in the correct lane, almost stopped, then proceeded to cross the highway!... He had pulled out in front of a guy on a motor bike...He swore that he never saw the bike coming...The bike had completely taken off the front of his car.....Miraculously the guy only received a broken leg......There was a clear view, so why didn`t my father see the bike coming?

Frank.

Because people are not trained to see something they do not use. As many people do not see trucks as those that do not see motorbikes. Simple solution, do not let people get car licences until they have held a bike licence for a year. Likewise do not give them a bike licence until they have spent a week in the cabin with a truckie. I lost count of the number of times I risked my life to save that of an idiot in a car.

And looking at those figures and seeing transport as the biggest killer of workers in the country, why then are road accidents involving truck drivers not investigated as workplace accidents.

• Informative 1