Aircraft data plate query

Could someone please point me in the right direction. I need to supply a photo of my data plate in order to proceed with the registration of my Onex, in the VH category. I cannot find information of what form the data plate should take, what information needs to be on it, what size it should be and where it should be fitted. My little bird is now painted and just getting the finishing touches. Thanks Peter

www.casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/acrprocs/039r024.pdf

I googled your query and come up with this.

A few pages in there us a picture of a data plate so I hope this helps you .

Cheers

I understand it just needs to be made of metal so it will survive a fire, needs to be near the door or exit and should contain the registration and serial number of the aircraft but I can't remember the reference for these requirements. The tech guy at RAAus would know.

Guest asmol

All of the planes i have seen (factory built) are on the left hand side of the fuselage beneath the vertical fin. I asked why they were there and the reply was thats the furthest place from fire in an accident and the highest probability of accident survival. Left hand side ? I guess thats the side we fly from?

Thanks for that, I had found those but nowhere does it state size of lettering etc, so I will probably head down to the local engraver and just get something made up,

Cheers Peter

Aircraft Spruce and Specialty have them: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cs/placards_aircraft.html

If you order from them, insist that they pack it in an envelope sized padded bag (if that's all you are buying at the time), otherwise it will come in a huge box and you'll pay a motza for the postage. If you tell them to send it US Postal Service Global Priority, you'll get it in a week. I suggest that you place your order by phone, or, if you have a headset and mike connected to you computer, use their online chat link.

OME

Hi Peter,

Paint job is awesome!!

I just made up a small data plate out of scrap stainless, about 50 x 30. Used a rotary engraver to mark with type Sonex, rego number and sonex serial number.

I don't think the L4 even looked at it, just asked where it was.. under the LH horizontal stab.

Have a read here in CASR 21.820. It gives the information required and nominates the locations of where it must be fixed.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2015C00267/Html/Volume_1#_Toc415135079

Also note that there is a requirement to have an aircraft registration plate however there is an exemption for aircraft less than 5700kg operated only within Australia.

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/rules/1998casr/045/045c01.pdf

Only put what you need on the data plate and no more. It may be hard to change later if needed. For instance the aircraft spruce experimental data plate has a space for empty and gross weight do not use this plate as any later change will need CASA's written permission. see:

http://www5.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_reg/car1988263/s57.html

The USA rules may be different so be careful if using a us sourced data plate.

*sigh..* its not that hard

I received a copy of Tech Manual 3.3.1 in builders rego/info pack

ISSUE OF REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE

1. Equipment required for eligibility for registration of an AUF Amateur Built aircraft.

a. The aircraft is required to have a fire proof data plate attached to the airframe that identifies the aircraft. (serial number and registration number)

Nothing more, nothing less for the data plate

AJ,

If he is registering the aircraft with a VH registration and not with RAAus like he said in the original post why would he need follow those requirements? Also note that there is an exemption on having the rego in the lower wing, see the second link that I posted above.

Nobody

Thanks for the replies everybody, all very helpful (as usual). I have read all of the above, and will speak to a local engraver and get a very simple plate made up. I need a photo of it to complete my rego.

Tony, yes I'm very happy with the paint job. I might be pm'ing you soon. Would love a ride in the RH seat if that is possible just to get a sense of the sight picture through the sonex windscreen, cheers Peter

As well as the data plate, usually under the horiz. stab. Don't forget you need a plate with the Regn, ie VH-ABC close to the entrance of the plane. On a Sonex I would put it on the Longeron where you climb in.