Pipistrel Electro

fly_tornado

That is very nice as a training aircraft.

I can imagine a school with a few of these and a spare battery set to hot swap when busy.

The whole regeneration can make a lots of sense for a training ship that is doing lots of circuits, takeoffs landings etc.

"The future is bright"

• Agree 2

I've been flying the Alpha out of YWOL (the airframe that this is based on); it's quite a nice little plane. I can definitely imagine an hour of circuits in it with the electric engine; I wonder if the battery/engine placement puts the CG in the same spot.

"Our flight cost about 2 euro...."

OK so an hour's flight time is not ideal but this will change as battery efficiency increases. Anyone that says electric is not the way of the future for light aircraft is kidding themselves.

• Agree 3

I was so Taken by it.........................

I thought of how to electrify a hummelbird and how fun that would be.

Given the fuel, engine, tank etc can be 130lbs approx that actually makes a reasonable weight fraction for electric. Add in I am 170lbs on a fat day and it could have potential.

Empty weight no engine 200 lbs -no big engine mount, no tank, no fuel system

Pilot 170lbs

Gross 550lbs

Thats 180lbs for electric system - motor, mini mount, controller and gauges.

Should be quite doable even at low 550lb gross.

No it will not have the range of petrol.

But it can be a lot more efficient without two cylinders sticking out.

It is just a idea but worth consideration.

Batteries are getting cheaper and lighter all the time, motors and controllers as well.

Quiet flight is here.

• Like 1

It certainly has some merits.

And you take your time building and get the engine/battery package last. A few years can make a big saving money wise and tech is more amazing each day.

Which also brings back up what is ideal available airframe for a single seat electric?

Something like a Sapphire maybe?

OR more like a motorglider?

• Agree 1

It certainly has some merits.And you take your time building and get the engine/battery package last. A few years can make a big saving money wise and tech is more amazing each day.

Which also brings back up what is ideal available airframe for a single seat electric?

Something like a Sapphire maybe?

OR more like a motorglider?

I'd agree a Sapphire looks like a good airframe. Very streamlined. As a pusher though it might be hard to source a prop for the electric motor (if they start doing plug'n'play components.)

A prop should not be to hard to source.

Electric variable pitch would be really great. Could also be used for regeneration as a form of airbrake.

But how many horse does a Sapphire need for sustained flight?

One thing about the concept of 'regenerative' flying means people will have to go back to learning how to do glide approaches, no more drive 'em back onto the ground.019_victory.gif.9945f53ce9c13eedd961005fe1daf6d2.gif

One thing about the concept of 'regenerative' flying means people will have to go back to learning how to do glide approaches, no more drive 'em back onto the ground.019_victory.gif.9945f53ce9c13eedd961005fe1daf6d2.gif

I have learned to fly in the last 12 months, and until I went looking for different aircraft to fly and STOL training, had never done a powered approach in my first 100 hours.

Pipistrel also make the Taurus Electro, a motorglider... I wonder if you can soar and then regenerate all in the same thermal. then you can use the stored battery power as extra range to find the next thermal.

I'd agree a Sapphire looks like a good airframe. Very streamlined. As a pusher though it might be hard to source a prop for the electric motor (if they start doing plug'n'play components.)

A pusher you say!!

• Like 1

Here in Australia regulations would have prevented the same journey. 45 mins reserve with a one hour endurance does not give very long out of thecircuit.

..As a pusher though it might be hard to source a prop for the electric motor (if they start doing plug'n'play components.)

With an electric motor wouldn't you just reverse its direction of rotation to suit?

Here in Australia regulations would have prevented the same journey. 45 mins reserve with a one hour endurance does not give very long out of thecircuit.

The flight had been cleared by French and UK authorities, Siemens said no at the last minute. Hardly good publicity.

• Agree 1

Guest asmol

I think i read it differently. It's 1 hour flying time still with a 45 minute reserve left over after 1 hours flying.

It would appear that there may be more to this than safety concerns. Pipistrel have been at the forefront of energy efficient flight for some years.

http://www.flyer.co.uk/aviation-news/newsfeed.php?artnum=2326

And Pipistrels official statement about the situation. http://www.pipistrel.si/news/electric-crosschannel-flight-official-statement

Or determination by Airbus for their E-Fan be the first tomorrow. The Airbus website is extensive in their claims for a record breaking flight tomorrow. It's pretty easy to speculate they would have been very unhappy to be upstaged by Pipistrel and Siemens may have been subjected to considerable pressure to pull the plug!

• Informative 1