Dubbo to Caloundra

rhtrudder

Could any one give me some clues on how to go to Caloundra from Dubbo , looks like a nightmare trying to transit west of Brisbane , should I track further north then cut back to the coast , don't want to get mown down by a military jet, any help would be great

Could any one give me some clues on how to go to Caloundra from Dubbo , looks like a nightmare trying to transit west of Brisbane , should I track further north then cut back to the coast , don't want to get mown down by a military jet, any help would be great

Nah piece of cake, fly coastal down the coast to Bribie, cross Morton bay to Nth Stradbroke. Track south until Jacobs well, fly direct to Boonah, cross the great via Cunninghams Gap or the valley just north of Mount Barney that tracks towards Killarney. Then track south to Dubbo via Warick.

• Informative 2

When I flew my plane up from Orange, I went from Orange to Narromine to Coonamble all open country.

From Coonamble to Moree you need to stay west of the Pilliga to avoid tiger country, but still quite ok then on to Goondiwindi and Dalby.

Then comes the cut east to Caboolture or for you Caloundra. There is some interesting country through there but it is quite possible to cover that leg without covering any tiger country as well. Any tiger country through there is easily avoided with very little diversion.

Fuel available at Naromine, Moree, Goondiwindi, Dalby and if you need a break on the last leg Watts Bridge also has fuel.

• Informative 1

Depends on when you want to do it. If the Military are asleep on the weekend, then Dubbo - Warwick - Toowoomba -Crows Nest - Kilcoy - Caloundra.

Even if they are awake, you can follow that route. Just keep an eye on the base of the restricted airspace and stay under it. The lowest bit is 4500 is so. The Brisbane or Oakey VTC is a must though.

Or what Dazza said, but the other way around!

Robert

• Agree 1

Depends on when you want to do it. If the Military are asleep on the weekend, then Dubbo - Warwick - Toowoomba -Crows Nest - Kilcoy - Caloundra. Even if they are awake, you can follow that route. Just keep an eye on the base of the restricted airspace and stay under it. The lowest bit is 4500 is so. The Brisbane or Oakey VTC is a must though.

Or what Dazza said, but the other way around!

Robert

Yep sorry, I though to were going the other way around. My bad.

When I flew my plane up from Orange, I went from Orange to Narromine to Coonamble all open country.From Coonamble to Moree you need to stay west of the Pilliga to avoid tiger country, but still quite ok then on to Goondiwindi and Dalby.

Then comes the cut east to Caboolture or for you Caloundra. There is some interesting country through there but it is quite possible to cover that leg without covering any tiger country as well. Any tiger country through there is easily avoided with very little diversion.

Fuel available at Naromine, Moree, Goondiwindi, Dalby and if you need a break on the last leg Watts Bridge also has fuel.

That's good too. Just watch Oakey restricted Airspace on direct track to Caloundra. If it is active, you will penetrate the airspace as it is from ground level up. Again, the Oakey VTC would be a must have.

I operate out of Caboolture and McCaffery Field (inside Oakey restricted area), so am super aware of the limits.

Have fun, that trip will be a blast.

I am spending all my time transiting the Archerfield, Amberly and Gold Coast Airspaces at the moment.

Given I am a student, I would transit Amberly, or scoot around it via the VFR route just to the north and I am a noob to controlled airspace. If you go the VFR route you will have to descent to 1500. Alternatively, I would track via Toowoomba. Check NOTAMS, but if you are coming up on a weekend chances are Amberly airspace will be open, but just check the ATIS first because I know of a couple of other students that have bused the airspace because it can open quickly outside of TWR hours.

In my limited experience, any military aircraft activity is well broadcasted and minimal, and the traffic west of Amberly is way, WAY, less than the coastal VFR traffic. I would be more concerned about the coastal traffic than the military aircraft.

When I flew my plane up from Orange, I went from Orange to Narromine to Coonamble all open country.From Coonamble to Moree you need to stay west of the Pilliga to avoid tiger country, but still quite ok then on to Goondiwindi and Dalby.

This looks like a easy trip and maybe come back down the coast, how far off the coast do I need to be

That's good too. Just watch Oakey restricted Airspace on direct track to Caloundra. If it is active, you will penetrate the airspace as it is from ground level up. Again, the Oakey VTC would be a must have.I operate out of Caboolture and McCaffery Field (inside Oakey restricted area), so am super aware of the limits.

Have fun, that trip will be a blast.

I just did a track from Dubbo to Caloundra, and the direct track is about 20nm south east of Oakey. Amberly is the airspace to you will transit on a direct route.

Depends on whether you are comfortable flying over tiger country. I am not that comfortable, but to come down the Coast you basically fly down to the southern tip of Bribie, then cross to Morton Island at 3500' you should be able to glide to shore even from the centre point, then down Morton, Nth and Sth Straddie to the Gold Coast. From there to Dubbo it really does not matter which way you go but you are going to have to go over tiger country somewhere to transit the range. You need to go inland of the Gold Coast to avoid controlled airspace and that is not pretty.

As was said above Dalby to Caboolture/Caloundra if Oakey is active, you need to track a little north of a straight line to avoid it but not to far.

You can also run from Stanthorpe up to Gatton and Esk staying below Amberly airspace without to much trouble.

• Agree 1

Depends on whether you are comfortable flying over tiger country. I am not that comfortable, but to come down the Coast you basically fly down to the southern tip of Bribie, then cross to Morton Island at 3500' you should be able to glide to shore even from the centre point, then down Morton, Nth and Sth Straddie to the Gold Coast. From there to Dubbo it really does not matter which way you go but you are going to have to go over tiger country somewhere to transit the range. You need to go inland of the Gold Coast to avoid controlled airspace and that is not pretty.As was said above Dalby to Caboolture/Caloundra if Oakey is active, you need to track a little north of a straight line to avoid it but not to far.

You can also run from Stanthorpe up to Gatton and Esk staying below Amberly airspace without to much trouble.

Just not sure why would go via Dalby or Gold Coast when you can go straight through the middle of Oakey and Amberly. I get going coastal for the scenic route, but its way busy. As for tiger country, well flying from Dubbo is tiger country anyway. If you are worrying about controlled airpsace, then go via Warwick, Gatton and maybe Toogoolawah. Its the most direct route. Less traffic and more ALA's. The restricted area's between Amberly and Oakey are almost never active, and even when they are you just need to stay below 4500.

The Gold Coast Western VFR route is definitely worth it for scenic reasons (still need ATC approval) but flying coastal all the way is even better. But if you are going that way, I would go Coastal all the way and skip the West VFR route providing you can get ATC clearance. North of YBCG is some of the best scenic flying you will get in South East Queensland.

This looks like a easy trip and maybe come back down the coast, how far off the coast do I need to be

Just not sure why would go via Dalby or Gold Coast when you can go straight through the middle of Oakey and Amberly. I get going coastal for the scenic route, but its way busy. As for tiger country, well flying from Dubbo is tiger country anyway. If you are worrying about controlled airpsace, then go via Warwick, Gatton and maybe Toogoolawah. Its the most direct route. Less traffic and more ALA's. The restricted area's between Amberly and Oakey are almost never active, and even when they are you just need to stay below 4500.The Gold Coast Western VFR route is definitely worth it for scenic reasons (still need ATC approval) but flying coastal all the way is even better. But if you are going that way, I would go Coastal all the way and skip the West VFR route providing you can get ATC clearance. North of YBCG is some of the best scenic flying you will get in South East Queensland.

Pearo My reasons for coming the way I did included all the things you mentioned. Avoiding traffic minimising areas of controlled and restricted airspace and avoiding tiger country. All things that I was taught to consider when flight planning during my Nav training, which I had only completed a couple of months before my journey.

Personally I would still not consider going via the Gold Coast/Coastal route for the same reasons as I didn't last time, but I was for my opinion on it so gave it. As for your suggestion of going through the middle and splitting Amberly and Oakey and out between Warwick and , I totally agree with that still being the second best option but for my own peace of mind I was happy to go the long way.

My journey was also the trip home from buying my own plane so I was flying an aircraft that I knew very little about and had almost no time in before the start of the journey. That to me highlighted the wisdom of avoiding tiger country at all costs. Having never flown into Dubbo I can't comment on it being surrounded by tiger country but I got within about 10 nm of it between Orange and Naromine and it seemed quite ok to me. I admit I have little concept of what that last 10 nm may be like.

• Like 1

Do this route regularly albeit Narromine refuel stop ex Loxton.

My route which would be similar from Dubbo is...

Narromine, Moree , Gatton, Somerset dam wall, keep right of Kilcoy and follow the Brisbane Valley to Caloundra.

This route has limited tiger country.

The other suggestion given via South Straddie, Bribie is one that I keep in mind if the weather over Gatton is RS.

I haven't had to use that route yet.

Follow the valley from Gatton to the Somerset Dam wall where there are numerous ( smallish) ALA's.

I can send an OZ runways flight plan if you like.

Great scenery. Watch for fog forecast and keep just left of Amberley air space.

Also monitor frequencies for Toowoomba 127.65 and Watts bridge 127.3 and when closer 118.8 Caloundra and Caboolture.

My notes say 20 nm from Gatton not above 4500'

20 nm from Somerset 7500' if R620D is active, otherwise 4500'

Phil.

• Agree 1

Just not sure why would go via Dalby or Gold Coast when you can go straight through the middle of Oakey and Amberly. I get going coastal for the scenic route, but its way busy. As for tiger country, well flying from Dubbo is tiger country anyway. If you are worrying about controlled airpsace, then go via Warwick, Gatton and maybe Toogoolawah. Its the most direct route. Less traffic and more ALA's. The restricted area's between Amberly and Oakey are almost never active, and even when they are you just need to stay below 4500.The Gold Coast Western VFR route is definitely worth it for scenic reasons (still need ATC approval) but flying coastal all the way is even better. But if you are going that way, I would go Coastal all the way and skip the West VFR route providing you can get ATC clearance. North of YBCG is some of the best scenic flying you will get in South East Queensland.

unsure about ATC clearance

I certainly wouldn't say flying out of Dubbo is over tiger country, there is a few patches of scrub (and of course the pilliga to the north) but nothing that would put you out to go around.

I haven't flown to qld so am not much help there but I did notice a few differing opinions about transiting/avoiding CTA, do you have a ppl rhtrudder? I don't but often those that do can forget that it isn't really an option for us RAA cert holders and advice can get confusing.

Do this route regularly albeit Narromine refuel stop ex Loxton.My route which would be similar from Dubbo is...

Narromine, Moree , Gatton, Somerset dam wall, keep right of Kilcoy and follow the Brisbane Valley to Caloundra.

This route has limited tiger country.

The other suggestion given via South Straddie, Bribie is one that I keep in mind if the weather over Gatton is RS.

I haven't had to use that route yet.

Follow the valley from Gatton to the Somerset Dam wall where there are numerous ( smallish) ALA's.

I can send an OZ runways flight plan if you like.

Great scenery. Watch for fog forecast and keep just left of Amberley air space.

Also monitor frequencies for Toowoomba 127.65 and Watts bridge 127.3 and when closer 118.8 Caloundra and Caboolture.

My notes say 20 nm from Gatton not above 4500'

20 nm from Somerset 7500' if R620D is active, otherwise 4500'

Phil.

The flight plan sounds good, the whole area looks like its full of restricted air space , Dalby then Caloundra direct cuts through some

I certainly wouldn't say flying out of Dubbo is over tiger country, there is a few patches of scrub (and of course the pilliga to the north) but nothing that would put you out to go around.I haven't flown to qld so am not much help there but I did notice a few differing opinions about transiting/avoiding CTA, do you have a ppl rhtrudder? I don't but often those that do can forget that it isn't really an option for us RAA cert holders and advice can get confusing.

Just a lowly RAA cert no ppl

The flight plan sounds good, the whole area looks like its full of restricted air space , Dalby then Caloundra direct cuts through some

Yes it does but just fly north east out of Daby to over Bell then East the Caloundra.

I only gave my stops on my trip there were a couple of sidebars. I would be happy to send you the full plan if you want it. I also had a 1 hour stop at Kilcoy to wait out a thunderstorm blocking the Valley through to Caboolture rather than fly around and over the mountains.

Yes it does but just fly north east out of Daby to over Bell then East the Caloundra.I only gave my stops on my trip there were a couple of sidebars. I would be happy to send you the full plan if you want it. I also had a 1 hour stop at Kilcoy to wait out a thunderstorm blocking the Valley through to Caboolture rather than fly around and over the mountains.

So can I fly Dazza's route back down the coast without ATC clearance

Just a lowly RAA cert no ppl

Are you CTA endoresed? If not, I would just go the direct route between Oakey and Amberly, Ie Warwick to Toogoolawah and stay below 4500 in that area.

If you are CTA endorsed, go Coastal and transit YBCG, its well worth it. If you are worried about transiting controlled airspace, dont worry, Gold Coast Tower is great, and they are used to dealing with noobs like me, so someone who knows what they are doing will piss it in!

If you are concerned about traffic, then avoid the coastal route altogether.

Yes you can. Stay below 3500' right down the coast. Then from Boonah to Warwick you need to stay below 4500' to Maryvale. Their are some 3800/3900 peaks through there so I personally wouldn't go that way, but there is nothing to say it couldn't be done I guess.

should I worry about the note that says HIGH SPEED LOW LEVEL MILITARY JETS OPERATING RANDOM ROUTES. sorry for all the dumb questions

No. If they are operating in the area you will know about it, and they will avoid you. Any military jet activity is well broadcasted.

• Like 1