Is it possible to move an aircraft from ra to vh rego?

just curious about the possibility of shifting an aircraft (the one I am looking at is factory built) from a ra-Aus rego to a vh rego? The problem I have when looking at an aircraft is always weight, I weigh 105kg and most of my friends are not much less, there is just not enough room for little niceties like fuel on board. The aircraft I am looking at is an aurion Lightning which GA can takeoff at 750kg which means I could take full fuel. I am assuming maintenance won't really be much different if I wasn't going to do most of it anyway.

It is not prohibited to change from RAA-Aus to VH registration. The major work is gathering all the paper work together. That means you will need all the engine and airframe log books and Maintenance Releases. Then you will need a weight and balance calculation, so you will need to have the data for Centre of Gravity as well as the location of the Datum points. You should be able to get these from the airplane's maintenance books, or manufacturer. Then you need to know if there have been any required maintenance notices (sorry forgot the right name for them)

The airplane will need to be inspected by a suitable experienced LAME. You will need to buy a new CASA approved maintenance log book. Then you will have to apply to CASA for a registration mark (VH letters). I suggest that you give Dave Dent at Dent Aviation, Camden a call (02 46551514). He's put heaps of airplanes on the Australian Register and knows the ins-and-outs of the process.

OME

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I would have thought that if the lightning is registered as an LSA it would maintain LSA status? In which case you are still stuck at 600Kg, as its factory built plane is it legal to register it as an E-AB?

You could register it as an experimental GA class. Not something to undertake lightly but will probably give you the swinging room to up the weight.

The down side is it can't be unregistered out of experimental class once it goes Into to it. You would also probably have some single pilot flight time as phase one testing.

maintenance stays the same - must be done by LAME because you didn't build it.

But as far as getting its weight increased you can have a look at the thread on increasing Jabiru 430 s to a higher weight. Essentially you need to get the authorised person who would certify the new weight to be happy with doing it.

You can't get an Experimental (Armature Built) certificate for a factory built aircraft.

A LSA aircraft, even one that is VH registered is limited to 600kg. I doubt that you will be able to increase the weight.

• Helpful 1

You can't get an Experimental (Armature Built) certificate for a factory built aircraft.A LSA aircraft, even one that is VH registered is limited to 600kg. I doubt that you will be able to increase the weight.

Of course you can.

We have a cessna 172 here on the experimental category register ( has a diesel engine in it.) Needed to go experimental to do it.

A mate of mine has a commercially manufactured Cub and I know several people who have partially rebuilt commercial l aircraft on the experimental register. We had a few warbirds on the experimental register (now transferred over to the limited register I think)

There is currently some debate still going (I think) about making it even legal to pull several commercial aircraft apart and use the parts to rebuild them into a single functioning aircraft. Currently that's not allowed AFAIK.

The problem of putting a commercially built aircraft on the experimental register is that once its on its stuck there. You can't revert it back to a standard category if you ever want to sell it. Limits your market dramatically.

I thought you have to modify it?

You don't have to have modified it. But you can plan to modify it.

And to do the actual mods you have to have it re-registered in the experimental category first.

But you are not required to actually do mods. Since you haven't built it yourself and qualify for an CASA IA 33/13 maintenance authority you would have to have a LAME do the mods.

Then if the mods fulfill the rules about minor mods - the LAME signs it off and you go fly it.

If the mods fit the major mods criteria then you would have to get an AP to reissue a special C of A.

Then off you go again.

• Informative 1

Of course you can.We have a cessna 172 here on the experimental category register ( has a diesel engine in it.) Needed to go experimental to do it.

A mate of mine has a commercially manufactured Cub and I know several people who have partially rebuilt commercial l aircraft on the experimental register. We had a few warbirds on the experimental register (now transferred over to the limited register I think)

There is currently some debate still going (I think) about making it even legal to pull several commercial aircraft apart and use the parts to rebuild them into a single functioning aircraft. Currently that's not allowed AFAIK.

The problem of putting a commercially built aircraft on the experimental register is that once its on its stuck there. You can't revert it back to a standard category if you ever want to sell it. Limits your market dramatically.

Re read what I wrote. The experimental certificate has several catergories one being amateur built. The other categories are listed in section 7.1 of this document:

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/rules/1998casr/021/021c10.pdf

Under 7.1j you can do private operations of previously R+D aircraft

Now you are making me look at taking the Corby off RAAus and putting it on the GA register.

I built it mysekf, have all the documentation, have approval to do maintenance. Pro is the requirement to be a member of RAAus would not apply and the annual rego would not happen. Cons are getting an AP to come and go through the special C of A again. Re weighing and c of g , no problem and I have some maintenance to do, such as replacing all the control cables in the next couple of years. It may happen, but not quickly.

Now you are making me look at taking the Corby off RAAus and putting it on the GA register.I built it mysekf, have all the documentation, have approval to do maintenance. Pro is the requirement to be a member of RAAus would not apply and the annual rego would not happen. Cons are getting an AP to come and go through the special C of A again. Re weighing and c of g , no problem and I have some maintenance to do, such as replacing all the control cables in the next couple of years. It may happen, but not quickly.

Yeah, quite a few flying in the experimental category. You just need to decide what options suit you best and register in that categaory.

Just be careful about trying to put a factory built airplane on the register as "Experimental". What is it that you are experimenting with? Sure, sticking a diesel engine where a Lycoming once was is an experiment, as are modifications to the flying surfaces.

You are better off putting the airplane on as a regular registration, then if you seel it the new owner can keep it there, or stick it back on the RAA-Aus register without too much hassle.

OME

Don't think of it literally as an experiment. There is no experimenting in most experimental aircraft. They get built from a tried and true kit. Manufactured to the same ( pretty much ) specs as the kit manufacturer suggests.

Get a C of A given on the grounds that they are a mature design and that they conform to that design. Ok you can change things. But the majority of experimental aircraft are not experiments at all.

The name is unfortunate. And has unfortunate connotations.

We have a member of our SAAA chapter who has a home built and is registered in the old ABA category and he refuses to change it to experimental because he does not want the word "experimental" to appear on the placards or big letters on the exterior of the aircraft.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...
Rumor about is - MTOW in RAAus may shortly increase to at least 750kg with a possible request to go higher!

That's been the rumor for years with not real substance to it. Is it credible or just pub talk?

• Agree 1

Rumor about is - MTOW in RAAus may shortly increase to at least 750kg with a possible request to go higher!

That's been the rumor for years with not real substance to it. Is it credible or just pub talk?

Have heard the rumour but every lame seems to rebuke it. Even the 50kg allowed for floats would make the world of difference to fuel you could carry.

Have heard the rumour but every lame seems to rebuke it. Even the 50kg allowed for floats would make the world of difference to fuel you could carry.