Fear of CTA - An observation as a student

I have often read that students who learn to fly in CTA are nervous about flying OCTA, and those who learn in uncontrolled airspace are nervous about CTA. I am the latter. Did my RPL in Class G airspace, and heading into controlled airspace made me nervous mainly due to the workload from learning all the new procedures.

However now, I have learned that ATC are not the angry, procedure nazi control freaks that I had somehow painted in my head (well they are control freaks, but I am pretty sure thats what we ant in CTA!!)

I think the turning point for me was heading into Amberly airspace last week for the first time. I now have a basic grasp of CTA procedure, so I was less distracted by it. But also, when enroute to Warwick via Gatton, they had to direct me around other traffic in an area I had never flown in before. I was asked if I was familiar with the area, and when I responded with a firm negative, they gave me headings to separate me from other traffic, and headings to get me back on course again. It made the navigation of unfamiliar airspace really easy, and actually less stressful because I was not constantly worried about trying to locate traffic around me (even though I still made sure I had visual contact with the other aircraft).

The weather was shitty that day, and there was a lot of turbulence (instructor rated it moderate), so en-route to Warwick they cleared me to a higher altitude on request which kept me in CTA a lot longer than I had planned for. Its actually nice to have someone maintain separation for you. On the way home, knowing the situation with the turbulence, I again requested clearance to a higher altitude than planned, and they controller at Amberly actually managed to negotiate a clearance into Brisbane CTA for me. So I had a lovely trip home to YRED at 5500 all the way from Warwick, and only started my descent overhead Lake Samsonvale. Had I known how easy it was I probably would have requested an altitude closer 10000'!!!

Now I am finding that I am trying to plan my nav exercises to stay in CTA as much as possible!! For me, I now see it as another way to increase my level of safety whilst flying, and reduce the workload of maintaining separation and broadcasting my location all the time. Most of my flying is going to be OCTA, but its nice to have that extra safety barrier when you can get it.

I was supposed to do my last Nav excercise today, but the weather put a a stop to that. Area 40 forecast suggested severe turbulence, so I was having no part of that. In fact when I rang up to cancel, the instructor had already made the decision not to fly. This is the last instructor led nav, then I am out on my own for one last cross country solo (which this time includes CTA!) before my PPL flight test!

As a bonus, my instructors have shown me how good ATC and controlled airspace is, and I now know as a PPL I will certainly utilise the services of ATC and will certainly plan to include as much controlled airspace as possible.

Long thread, but hopefully this might prompt a few others into getting CTA endorsements. Its overwhelming at first (and still is for me to some degree) but the more you do it the easier it gets and the more you appreciate it.

One last thing, if you have any doubts, call the tower and have a chat to them first. Like the BOM guys, they always seem super keen to explain stuff and help you out. I am sure its easier to clarify details on the phone before you head CTA!!

EDIT: Just thought I would add that I am 40 years old, so not a young brave fearless 16 year old just starting to learn! Not old by any means, but not a spring chicken either.

• Like 6

I did my CTA flying many decades ago and have avoided it since, for no good reason. I know you are right and will make the effort to get up to speed with current procedures. Thanks.

Not sure if you are like me, but one of the things that scared me was not following the right procedure. My callbacks are rubbish, and I am sure it pisses of ATC sometimes (especially when busy), but I will get better. If you miss something, they will ask you to confirm it again. I have already decided that I will call the tower on the phone before I head off on my first solo into CTA, just to give them a heads up. Not sure if it means anything at all, but it makes me feel better!!

I also know a couple of ATC's, and they are always encouraging me, although they may change their opinion when they talk to me in the air!!!

It's helpful to know if someone is first (or low time) solo, ATC tend to give instructions at a slower pace, give a more thoughtful eye over compliance and provide whatever assistance they can. Nothing wrong with planning "RMK/First Solo Nav"

Not sure if you are like me, but one of the things that scared me was not following the right procedure. My callbacks are rubbish, and I am sure it pisses of ATC sometimes (especially when busy), but I will get better. If you miss something, they will ask you to confirm it again. I have already decided that I will call the tower on the phone before I head off on my first solo into CTA, just to give them a heads up. Not sure if it means anything at all, but it makes me feel better!!I also know a couple of ATC's, and they are always encouraging me, although they may change their opinion when they talk to me in the air!!!

Draw the runways, and the aircraft circuit track on a piece of paper. If there are fixed Inbound points, mark those also (not to scale), then fly the circuit on your desk at home, speaking all the correct phrases until you can do it in a very relaxed manner. That will take away a lot of the nerves, and give you valuable time in the circuit to make faster decisions which again will give you more confidence. You can't expect to get up to speed in a 12 aircraft circuit after one or two lessons, or a quick visit every five years.

I've always found the ATCs to help as best they can, but remember that a busy circuit is like a running hose - it has to keep running at speed, and correct positioning + standard phrases allows everyone else to understand exactly where you are and exactly what your situation is so three or four of them can all reposition.

Learn also what's involved in slowing your aircraft towards the end of downwind, on base and on final if you have multiple aircraft in front of you and you otherwise would have to go round.

Try to learn the climb rate and cruise of the half dozen most popular aircraft, so you can plan your leg lengths for maximum separation/quickest landing. For example if you see a C150/C152 way out from the rest of the aircraft it's not because he is a wanker, but because the aircraft is low powered and will be a long way out before it gets to 1000' circuit height. If you hear something like a Baron, he will likely be up your tail so you need to modify your pattern slightly to gain some distance ahead of him. All of this does take practice.

• Agree 1

I have often read that students who learn to fly in CTA

Pero

Agree with everything you say on the issue of flying CTA, a word of caution though plan an alternate route OCTA prior to your flight in case you don't get the clearance ATC are generally very accommodating and will clear you if possible but priority is given to IFR and traffic separation for the big boys.

You can be merrily scooting along request your clearance at the appropriate time only to hear back ABC standby 1, the next thing you hear as you are getting ever closer to the boundary is ABC clearance not available remain outside controlled airspace. If you don't have an alternate plan at this point in time and know where other surrounding airspace is then the workload can get pretty high. If it is a weather related (or other) issue e.g. weather has closed in around you and the only option is through CTA the in your transmission change request to require and they will make room for you but you will no doubt be answering a few questions when you get on the ground.

Remember the 5 P's, Prior Planning Prevents Piss-poor Performance (maybe 6)

Aldo

PeroAgree with everything you say on the issue of flying CTA, a word of caution though plan an alternate route OCTA prior to your flight in case you don't get the clearance ATC are generally very accommodating and will clear you if possible but priority is given to IFR and traffic separation for the big boys.

You can be merrily scooting along request your clearance at the appropriate time only to hear back ABC standby 1, the next thing you hear as you are getting ever closer to the boundary is ABC clearance not available remain outside controlled airspace. If you don't have an alternate plan at this point in time and know where other surrounding airspace is then the workload can get pretty high. If it is a weather related (or other) issue e.g. weather has closed in around you and the only option is through CTA the in your transmission change request to require and they will make room for you but you will no doubt be answering a few questions when you get on the ground.

Remember the 5 P's, Prior Planning Prevents Piss-poor Performance (maybe 6)

Aldo

You have just confirmed the awesomeness of my instructors!! I have it hammered into me at each briefing to plan a route OCTA in case I cant get clearance. Funny thing is, now I am more paranoid about not getting clearance into CTA that the actual flying in CTA!! Some of those routes are tight, especially Archerfield around Amberly to the north/west

I have only been denied entry into CTA once, and that was into Gold Coast. I had to orbit at Q1. I now plan holding fuel when landing in Class C or D.

• Like 1

Draw the runways, and the aircraft circuit track on a piece of paper. If there are fixed Inbound points, mark those also (not to scale), then fly the circuit on your desk at home, speaking all the correct phrases until you can do it in a very relaxed manner. That will take away a lot of the nerves, and give you valuable time in the circuit to make faster decisions which again will give you more confidence. You can't expect to get up to speed in a 12 aircraft circuit after one or two lessons, or a quick visit every five years.I've always found the ATCs to help as best they can, but remember that a busy circuit is like a running hose - it has to keep running at speed, and correct positioning + standard phrases allows everyone else to understand exactly where you are and exactly what your situation is so three or four of them can all reposition.

Learn also what's involved in slowing your aircraft towards the end of downwind, on base and on final if you have multiple aircraft in front of you and you otherwise would have to go round.

Try to learn the climb rate and cruise of the half dozen most popular aircraft, so you can plan your leg lengths for maximum separation/quickest landing. For example if you see a C150/C152 way out from the rest of the aircraft it's not because he is a wanker, but because the aircraft is low powered and will be a long way out before it gets to 1000' circuit height. If you hear something like a Baron, he will likely be up your tail so you need to modify your pattern slightly to gain some distance ahead of him. All of this does take practice.

I have seen busy ATC, and as a result I get their frustration. As opposed to slowing down, I discovered at YBAF last time that you need to get in as fast as you can to prevent others behind you going around (apologies to anyone following in a slow C172 last Monday!! I could have flown a much faster downwind and base leg). YBCG is similar, expect its not GA twins chasing you down but RPT jet aircraft!

WRT to slowing down for slower aircraft, I get that too. There is one particular aircraft that always flys 747 circuits at YRED, and its a slower aircraft than 172. It pisses me off no end, but all you can do is deploy some flaps and slow down as much as you can. I am getting good at doing this, and its one huge advantage of flying in Class G.

It's helpful to know if someone is first (or low time) solo, ATC tend to give instructions at a slower pace, give a more thoughtful eye over compliance and provide whatever assistance they can. Nothing wrong with planning "RMK/First Solo Nav"

The AIP procedures say to insert DUAL/SOLO when training. I cant find the exact calls, but ENR 1.1 4.3.3 says it. I took some notes about it the other day, and somewhere in the AIP there is example calls, but now I cant find it. I will find it again!!