Spitfire gear-up landing, UK

Sad for the aircraft but glad the pilot is fine. Not sure why the engine wasn't cut? Video here.

ad_175804275.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&strip=all&w=768&h=468&crop=1

"A pilot was flying the spitfire plane above Sibson Airfield in Cambridgeshire recently when he radioed the airfield to tell them he couldn’t release his landing gear. The runways were cleared and emergency services called as the pilot circled around for 20 minutes to burn up all his fuel to reduce to plane’s speed."

• Caution 1

To clarify - spitfire 80% replica - not an original supermarine one ...

but its always been a wonder for me - if I was in a retract without gear down would I stop the engine and if yes when?

I THINK I would leave the engine running at tickover till very late final - gives me the opportunity to go around - but as I come over the fence and commit to land with start of roundout/holdoff I think I would stop the engine.

• Agree 2

To clarify - spitfire 80% replica - not an original supermarine one ...

Thanks for the clarification - article says ww2. It did look different around the nose (aircooled) but then I figured there were several variants & I'm no aviation history buff etc.

To clarify - spitfire 80% replica - not an original supermarine one ...but its always been a wonder for me - if I was in a retract without gear down would I stop the engine and if yes when?

I THINK I would leave the engine running at tickover till very late final - gives me the opportunity to go around - but as I come over the fence and commit to land with start of roundout/holdoff I think I would stop the engine.

...but the prop is likely to windmill and still damage the prop and require an engine tear down anyway....

...but the prop is likely to windmill and still damage the prop and require an engine tear down anyway....

At the approach speed of what I fly and the engines I fly (rotax 2 strokes + 912 + Jabiru) I have not found windmilling to exist - I have on several aircraft I fly stopped the engine (at altitude) to do full engine out landings and in all cases the props have stopped really quickly and stayed stopped through the entire circuit/approach/landing.

Agree that you are still likely to have a prop strike - murphy is alive and well and I KNOW a two blade prop will end upright if it came to it - but a prop strike inspection on a stopped engine is likely to cost you a heck of a lot less to get back in the air than a running engine prop strike - plus I do not like the idea of prop splinters flying everywhere.

Guest ozzie

Wood prop and no engine power should not cause any sudden stop damage to crankshaft as no load on it. This is a replica so good chance has a redrive or gear box.

As was commented on this landing on FB was a little too slow and dropped it on a bit, A little more forward speed and less sink would help it slide on with less shock on the airframe and ya back.. the live gear ups I've seen over the years (3 off) two were beautifully executed due to the pilot not even realizing the gear was not down.

4 strokes usually windmill and you have to hold the nose up to stop the prop. Just the attitude of landing should stop the prop if it is not getting fuel and spark. It looks to me that the pilot was keeping power available just in case of any difficulties, but he did a good job in the end. When the insurance company owns the plane, don't risk anything you are not happy with.

That looked like a three blade prop, if so there was going to be ground strike whatever happened. From my experience different prop / engine combinations can windmill, there are no set rules. I have had Rotax two strokes windmill more than once.