Resizing pictures

old man emu

If you want to attach a picture to your posts, but the file size exceeds the allowable size for this site, you can use this program: http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/ to resize it so that it can be uploaded.

Once the program is installed, all you have to do is on the image. A dialogue box will come up. Look down the list and click on "Resize picures" to open the program. Select the size you want the new file to be. I use the Medium setting. I have checked only the 'Ignore picture rotation' box. Don't check the "Replace the originals" box, or you'll be left with only the modified file.

The program will produce a new file with the same name as the original, but with the extra detail (Medium) included. So, the file, myplane.jpg will be resized and named myplane(medium).jpg

I've been using this program for a couple of years and the download has not set off alarm bells with my malware and virus protection.

OME

• Informative 2

Windows Paint will do the job.

1. Open image in Paint.

2. Click on "Resize".

3. Select "Pixels".

4. Enter new width in pixels. Ensure "Maintain Aspect Ratio" is checked.

5. Click "OK".

6. Save file with new name.

1222006190_resizingwithpaint.jpg.eeef855d397c9d57bcc1bcfdd7a9da92.jpg

If you want to attach a picture to your posts, but the file size exceeds the allowable size for this site, you can use this program: http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/ to resize it so that it can be uploaded.Once the program is installed, all you have to do is <right click> on the image. A dialogue box will come up. Look down the list and click on "Resize picures" to open the program. Select the size you want the new file to be. I use the Medium setting. I have checked only the 'Ignore picture rotation' box. Don't check the "Replace the originals" box, or you'll be left with only the modified file.

The program will produce a new file with the same name as the original, but with the extra detail (Medium) included. So, the file, myplane.jpg will be resized and named myplane(medium).jpg

I've been using this program for a couple of years and the download has not set off alarm bells with my malware and virus protection.

OME

Hi OME

What I do for large MB images is select them in my computer image folder or direct from camera, go to the left side of screen and select email image or images selected; this reduces the size automaticly and places in an unaddressed email. I then copy this or these reduced size email attachments and place it on my computer in my reduced images folder and save. Then do the upload file on this site from the reduced image file. Hope this helps you post images. Very easy.

Regrds

Mike

The beauty of the program I suggest is that all you have to do is highlight the file name; right click and select "Resize Pictures" and left click the "Resize" button. The resized file goes straight to the folder the original was in. Less actions.

OME

The beauty of the program I suggest is that all you have to do is highlight the file name; right click and select "Resize Pictures" and left click the "Resize" button. The resized file goes straight to the folder the original was in. Less actions.OME

Absolutely brilliant OME, thank you!

As part of my work I re-size a fair few pictures daily and without doubt this is the best and quickest simple re-sizer I've come across, streets ahead of Picassa, using Paint, Photoshop or emailing them to yourself. I'll be using this for most of my re-sizing from now on. Just highlight, right click re-size, done, couldn't be easier.

If you ever need a similar thing but a lot more sophisticated, for batch re-sizing to selected folders, batch re-naming and lots of other features, you might like to have a look at Fotosizer - the basic version with limited extras is also free.

I'm so happy to have helped at least one person.

It is also possible to highlight a number of files at the same time before clicking the resize button and the program will do the job on each one.

OME

• Agree 1

but picassa does a lot of other tricks apart from resizing. google+ is the best photo sharing platform on the net.

So what? The subject is about the quickest and easiest way to re-size photos, not about 'a lot of other tricks ...' And I think you'd be very hard pressed to find an quicker or easier photo re-sizer than OME's suggestion.

To re-size them using Picassa you have to upload the large file and then Picassa re-sizes it. That's not at all efficient for those who have slow connections or limited data contracts. As you said "then you have to upload it to the internet! waiting, waiting, waiting and more clicks! who's got time for that?" By re-sizing them first, then uploading them, you use a lot less of your data allowance and upload it a lot quicker. So there's less of the waiting, waiting waiting ...

• Like 1