Rotax engine Mod

flyingfooty28

Hi all,

I have done a few searches on finding out info on modifying a Jabiru aircraft with a Rotax 912 but have had no joy. Plenty of info and debate on Jabiru engines etc (not going there).

Could someone just explain if it's possible (models), what is required, positives/ negatives in doing so and costs.

In the end the Jabs seem like a great plane and the Rotax an excellent engine - why not match them?

Cheers J

Hi all,

I have done a few searches on finding out info on modifying a Jabiru aircraft with a Rotax 912 but have had no joy. Plenty of info and debate on Jabiru engines etc (not going there).

Could someone just explain if it's possible (models), what is required, positives/ negatives in doing so and costs.

In the end the Jabs seem like a great plane and the Rotax an excellent engine - why not match them?

Cheers J

Interesting they claim a reduction in weight of 13 kgs. Everyone else says the Rotax is so much heavier than the Jabiru. The performance figures dont mean anything to me, all performance should only ever be done and published at MTOW for fare comparisons. Some of these inflated figures around the interweb are for a plane with 3 liters of fuel and a small jockey at the controls.

Interesting they claim a reduction in weight of 13 kgs. Everyone else says the Rotax is so much heavier than the Jabiru. The performance figures dont mean anything to me, all performance should only ever be done and published at MTOW for fare comparisons. Some of these inflated figures around the interweb are for a plane with 3 liters of fuel and a small jockey at the controls.

Yes but you must remember this was a J230 so they have replaced the 6 cylinder Jab motor with a Rotax not the 4 cylinder. The 4 cyl Jab to 912ULS definitely gives a weight penalty but I am not so sure about the 6 cyl.

Yes but you must remember this was a J230 so they have replaced the 6 cylinder Jab motor with a Rotax not the 4 cylinder. The 4 cyl Jab to 912ULS definitely gives a weight penalty but I am not so sure about the 6 cyl.

I would say those figures from aak would be correct, obviously they are with only 1 person (big person 105kg) and about 1/2 fuel (about 40kg) I would estimate the empty wt around 370kg or so , all up about 500kg.

I usually climb out at 800'/min at 650kg on 100hp in my rotax j400.

What a great aeroplane!

Jabiru make the best airframe, strong, low maintenance, and reasonable price and it's local, need any parts, just call and order arrives in a couple of days!

I m very happy with my jab. Tom

I would say those figures from aak would be correct, obviously they are with only 1 person (big person 105kg) and about 1/2 fuel (about 40kg) I would estimate the empty wt around 370kg or so , all up about 500kg.

I usually climb out at 800'/min at 650kg on 100hp in my rotax j400.

What a great aeroplane!

Jabiru make the best airframe, strong, low maintenance, and reasonable price and it's local, need any parts, just call and order arrives in a couple of days!

I m very happy with my jab. Tom

Some installations do need weight in the tail, which is never a good idea as it can adversely affect handling. (not just balance which you correct by doing it) Distribution of mass along the fore/aft axis is better to be concentrated in the centre.

Higher empty weight is limiting the aircraft's practical application and the overall investment can get a bit out of hand if you aren't careful. Nev

Some installations do need weight in the tail, which is never a good idea as it can adversely affect handling. (not just balance which you correct by doing it) Distribution of mass along the fore/aft axis is better to be concentrated in the centre.

Higher empty weight is limiting the aircraft's practical application and the overall investment can get a bit out of hand if you aren't careful. Nev

Hi J,

I have done the conversion on a J160 and it has transformed the aircraft into something quite special. Fantastic climb and speed, very smooth and quiet to fly.

There is quite a bit of work involved to get it right, but nothing outside of the norm ... you do need to be mindful of managing the weight and balance so not to go adding weight in the tail, as some have done, which isn't in my view the best approach.

We were very careful with the W&B and actually reduced the stall at MTOW by a few knots.

Happy for you to pm me.

Cheers

Vev

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Hi Vev,

Thanks - yes this is exactly the info I was after. The Jabiru is a great aircraft which is incredibly affordable. Combined with a rotax (100Hp) as you pointed out ..... You have a great machine to fly.

So I imagine you did not use a standard mount? So if one buys themselves a jab 160 do you have a procedure to follow etc

Cheers Jon

Btw what specs are you getting?

Hi Vev,Thanks - yes this is exactly the info I was after. The Jabiru is a great aircraft which is incredibly affordable. Combined with a rotax (100Hp) as you pointed out ..... You have a great machine to fly.

So I imagine you did not use a standard mount? So if one buys themselves a jab 160 do you have a procedure to follow etc

Cheers Jon

Btw what specs are you getting?

Phil & Paul at Brumby designed the engine mount which takes the Rotax engine ring mount ... they got the whole thing perfect in terms of W&B and offset ... it didn't need any adjustment at all. I know they have also done the full job on a J230 as well.

I'm currently achieving 15.5 lt pa @ 110 knots and 18.5lt at 115 knots. Climb is around out is >1000 ft per min @ 90 knots.... it's just way too frightening (for me) to do a 65 knot climb out (it's very steep) on take-off so I can't give you a number, but seeing 1500 ft a minute on my own is nothing unusual.

BTW ... I'm selling this AC if you are interested?

Cheers

Vev

will brumby do others ????....2ndly....ballpark price ???

Hey Russ,

Best to give Brumby a call for a price as I have no idea.

Including a new engine there won't be too much change out of $38-40k to have someone do the fully Monty conversion ... cheaper depending on your capability do the mod yourself.

Cheers

Vev

• Informative 1

• 1 year later...
Phil & Paul at Brumby designed the engine mount which takes the Rotax engine ring mount ... they got the whole thing perfect in terms of W&B and offset ... it didn't need any adjustment at all. I know they have also done the full job on a J230 as well.I'm currently achieving 15.5 lt pa @ 110 knots and 18.5lt at 115 knots. Climb is around out is >1000 ft per min @ 90 knots.... it's just way too frightening (for me) to do a 65 knot climb out (it's very steep) on take-off so I can't give you a number, but seeing 1500 ft a minute on my own is nothing unusual.

BTW ... I'm selling this AC if you are interested?

Cheers

Vev

Hi Vev, is your aircraft still forsale?

Regards Jon