Junkers Jumo 223 aircraft engine

Gnarly Gnu

It's hard to actually create anything totally NEW these days as most concepts, and many iterations thereof, have all been worked out somewhere in the past.

All we can do now is continue to 'mix and match' and bring newer materials into the game.

I must say that the Jumo engine is an interesting read.

Oh there's still a bit of room for the odd original invention Pylon! I reckon not everything that can be invented has been invented yet. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif But I get your point, the bulk of our efforts go into tweaking prior art.

Even something simple like completely different commercial beehive:

It truly is hard to reinvent some things completely.

A wheel is still a round thing (generally).

A piston engine, still has pistons- just some are weirder than some from our modern view. It is what we are used to. The big gains are as Pylon stated materials used or by computers allowing far more accurate combustion.

But keep in mind the search for a better mousetrap has had many candidates and the old style is still the best.

Oh there's still a bit of room for the odd original invention Pylon! I reckon not everything that can be invented has been invented yet. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif But I get your point, the bulk of our efforts go into tweaking prior art.Even something simple like completely different commercial beehive:

We've actually ordered one of those. Should arrive around December. Those 2 guys have made their fortune from that idea - when they launched it they were aiming for US$70,000 - last time I looked their orders had topped US$13 million. Good to see a couple of Aussies have a world-beating idea - and market it properly!

Terrific, I hope they work well for you. Apparently there is an issue that the bees don't like to build on the plastic hive base so much but this would be a good challenge for a material scientist to tweak. I could cnc machine you some timber ones perhaps.... BTW I thought they were from NZ?

My Father had an almost identical setup when I was a kid. It was in our back yard and he just used it to demonstrate how the bees worked. He actually preferred to do it the old fashioned way. I would like one of these though as being allergic to bees this would minimise the risks.