Rear baggage compartment

Lyndon

This has done my head in. There is an option for an extended baggage compartment. Looks like my kit does not have it. So that's fine. But that implies that there is one. But from what I can work out with out this option it does not have a baggage compartment at all. Just a flat sheet of aluminium behind you. Not having seen a plane can someone please confirm this is correct.

Lyndon

The flat sheet of aluminium behind you goes up to shoulder height, then all kits have a baggage compartment back as far as the next fuselage frame. It has a sheet of aluminium in the back of the compartment and a floor. The baggage extension discards that back wall, adds flooring back to the second frame and supplies a different back wall sheet and additional framing to mount it. (Extended baggage came along early in the VGXL release so I am not sure that the factory ever did it for the original VG). Edit. both fuselages are the same rearward of the front frame in the rear fuselage so it would fit.

Fit the two together and see how they line up. Mine has round shoulders because it is an S so looking in my manual won't help. the cutouts in the floor are for the cabinets that house the flap control rods so fit them in the there an se if the mounting holes line up on the back wall.

I have renewed conference. I'm assembly parts for priming on the front fuselage and there are two parts with part numbers on then that aren't even close. So when it comes to assembly the baggage compartment the parts will work fine.

Lyndon

• 1 month later...
The flat sheet of aluminium behind you goes up to shoulder height, then all kits have a baggage compartment back as far as the next fuselage frame. It has a sheet of aluminium in the back of the compartment and a floor. The baggage extension discards that back wall, adds flooring back to the second frame and supplies a different back wall sheet and additional framing to mount it. (Extended baggage came along early in the VGXL release so I am not sure that the factory ever did it for the original VG). Edit. both fuselages are the same rearward of the front frame in the rear fuselage so it would fit.

I wonder how much extra weight is added to the Savannah when using the extended baggage option? Does anyone know?

I wonder how much extra weight is added to the Savannah when using the extended baggage option? Does anyone know?

It comes as a neat little add-on package but it isn't as simple as weighing the parcel contents because there are also discarded standard parts like the rear wall and flap rod covers. Find me some one who has retrofitted one that wants to go back to standard size. I think it is well worth the weight penalty if you plan on touring.

• 1 year later...

I had the chance to attend the Friedrichshafen Aero 2017. There I could sit in the Savannah S. A cool plane, I liked it a lot. I will try one, if I find a Savannah not to far away from my place.

While sitting in the plane I realized that there is nearly no space for luggage. Clearly no extended baggage compartment. Can anybody of you post a foto of the extended luggage compartment and maybe also add the dimensions of the space? I can't find anything about it on the icp site or on the sites of the dealers in Switzerland, France or Germany.

Thanks a lot!

Samy

It goes back one more fuselage frame, with the additional compartment floor sloping up. The weight increase would be minimal: one more section of floor and a few more rivets, with the back wall actually lighter (less high).

Goes back 800mm from top of seat back to rear wall (or 700mm from top of that fuselage frame).

Savannah S Build Notes - Rear Fuselage

It goes back one more fuselage frame, with the additional compartment floor sloping up. The weight increase would be minimal: one more section of floor and a few more rivets, with the back wall actually lighter (less high).Goes back 800mm from top of seat back to rear wall (or 700mm from top of that fuselage frame).

Savannah S Build Notes - Rear Fuselage

Does anyone happen to know how much space is left of the extended luggage compartment when an ICP ballistic parachute is fitted?