HEY BUDDIES,. . .FLY SMALLER PATTERNS. . .!

Phil Perry

An oldie but oh so true. Not talking about my instructor here but another school, sharing the same field........................aaaaagh

By the way, is there a name for a short continuous curve approach other than 'glide approach'?

interesting point - an air cooled engine with a power on approach - a steeper approach is more difficult to achieve

with a water cooled motor all you do is go to idle power

is this correct logic ?

Jet's don't do idle power approaches. With basically a 3 degree approach and full flap, and stable airspeed most aircraft will have power on, more so when there is a headwind component. A curved approach is no different in principle, if the basic slope used is the same.

Ultralights probably use a 5-6 degree slope or even more if a power off technique is used. You can work it out from L/D, Glide angle about 10:1. average. Nev

I would fit in with standard procedures as a rule, but say I had a long nosed unflapped plane I would monitor other traffic and say tracking for short final , close base, or something as advisory if in any way necessary. Airline circuits are "racecourse" generally. It's not a big deal in practice. Nev

An oldie but oh so true. Not talking about my instructor here but another school, sharing the same field........................aaaaaghBy the way, is there a name for a short continuous curve approach other than 'glide approach'?

Spitfire circuit!

The long nose blocked out all forward vision as it was raised to fly slowly in the circuit and so they adopted a curved approach so the pilot was able to see the Rwy .

Boy Gillum's autobiography describes how he hit the chance light on his first night solo because he couldn't see the runway lights with flaps as he completed his turn onto final.

Kaz

Gee!!! Were YOU there during the Blitz? And flew out of grassy paddocks.?Nev

Hehehe . . . . . .Anyhow Nev,. . .the London "Blitz" came after Goering had given up blowing up our grass airfields !004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif