RAAus new website/members portal

Head in the clouds

The issue is the running of the board, not thinking through the issues and then having to back peddle to cover bad decisions and then insisting on moving on without any explanation why they made the decision they did. I think its important that the board operates in the public, after all they represent the members not themselves.Who advised the board that including #19 aircraft in MARAP was viable to implement? Why was that decision not properly discussed?

The MARAP process as designed and written in the CAOs has never applied to 19- reg. It was not designed to be that way and the only reason we have this issue is that a tech manager did not have the gumption to stand up to CASA on the announcement at launch to say hang on what you want me to say is not correct ... I am giving the tech manager the benefit fo the doubt that he actually understood it to not apply to 19- reg ... from my p[hone conversations with him on this it was not clear he understood the actual changes but he was very clear that the announcement came from CASA and he HAD to announce it as CASA wrote it.

I do not want to get into a case of attack the tech manager as a person, I am sticking clearly to his actions that are not as they clearly should have been and frankly the Board use our money to pay for technical skills in teh form of a tech manager and I question the value we are getting.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MARAP on #19"s (Oh No .....The Bed Wets are starting again)

As you would recall, my #19 aitcraft was the first to get caught up in the dilemma.

Two days after releasing the MARAP I applied to renew the rego, only to be told I had to go through the MARAP (To apply or seek permission

to modify what I already had completed and with the completed photographs in the hands of the RAA before any application to do them)

Added to this was the big Red Herring of "You were not the builder, so you can't modify it" where as the legislation says If you purchase a #19 rego aircraft you are deemed to be the owner builder.

Another year on, and closer to meeting my creator would anyone like to give me the odds on what will come first.

1. Me, meeting my creator ?

2. Getting a definitive answer on Who can modify a #19 other than the builder ?

MARAP on #19"s (Oh No .....The Bed Wets are starting again)As you would recall, my #19 aitcraft was the first to get caught up in the dilemma.

Two days after releasing the MARAP I applied to renew the rego, only to be told I had to go through the MARAP (To apply or seek permission

to modify what I already had completed and with the completed photographs in the hands of the RAA before any application to do them)

Added to this was the big Red Herring of "You were not the builder, so you can't modify it" where as the legislation says If you purchase a #19 rego aircraft you are deemed to be the owner builder.

Another year on, and closer to meeting my creator would anyone like to give me the odds on what will come first.

1. Me, meeting my creator ?

2. Getting a definitive answer on Who can modify a #19 other than the builder ?

I really feel for you - particularly as I KNOW that there are members of the board who wholeheartedly believe that only the original builder of the 19- reg aircraft SHOULD be allowed to modify the airframe BUT the law is on your side and the RAA Tech Manager, RAA processes and RAA Board need to get a grip and READ THE LAWS ... and if they want to get the laws changed to remove the current freedoms then they best consult the members because there are a HEAP of 19- reg owners who will yell at the top of their voices if they understand what that would mean.

So what are the laws?

Aircraft under CAO95.55 need to come as an airframe under 1.1 and in particular be listed in 1.2 as part of a grouping.

CAO95.55 1.2(e) is the grouping of CAO95.55 aircraft that are majority build for rec and education - these are the 19- reg with RAA

Maintenance standards for all CAO95.55 aircraft can be set by the RAA Tech Manual - see CAO95.55 6.1(e)

However MODIFICATION is separate from maintenance and under CAO95.55 6.1(f) MARAP under the RAA tech manual is one of the modification pathways for aircraft groups listed being CAO95.55 1.2 (b)© and (f)

So there you go - MARAP does not apply to CAO95.55 1.2(e) group and in fact (e) is the ONLY grouping that does not have any restriction on modification SO you as owner can modify to your hearts content and its 100% legit.

Oh and just in case someone (maybe an overzealous RAA Tech Manager) would like to apply additional 'test' hours or 'test restrictions' to your 19- reg aircraft after you modify it he will find that the CAO95.55 power to nominate restrictions on operations exists ONLY at initial registration - see CAO 95.55 6.1(g)(ii) and 6.3 together where the conjunctive 'and' between 6.1(g)(i) and (ii) means the 6.3 limits have to be set before the preregistration inspection ... not after.

• Like 1

99%+ of user related problems are actually caused by the user....remember that next time you contact tech support....or preferably before..

I used to work on a help desk and we could almost categorically say that virtually ALL problems were caused by the user... it was a once a month event where we where actually to blame... clearly that varies from organisation to organisation... but with most its in the high 90% club

Most help desks are councilors and IT trainers, not problem finders....

• Agree 1

DrZoos - councillor or counsellor. There's a world of difference!

One is on the local council while the other is there with a shingle and makes a difference to a lot of people's woes and problems.

My experience with the assistance given by most IT help desks is akin to help from the local council - maybe you are partially right after all :-)

No trouble logging onnor changing my password

BUT

Have a letter from Raaus referencing Tech manual section 9.1

The web portal has a 2007 version of the tech manual that terminates at section 7

The 2007 Tech Manual is the currently legally operative one until the new one is actually cleared and signed off by CASA with a commencement date.

9.1 is part of the new tech manual not yet released - and is the part that requires regn markings on the airframe now that the Ops manual no longer has it - probelm was RAA redrafted the two docs to move a requirement from 1 to the other BUT then launched them on different dates so we end up with a gap.

It was on the old website but not carried across to the new - attached is the section retrieved from the old website for reference.

While technically not operative yet as the new tech manual is not in place TRUST me its easier to just do what Tech Office say and only challenge if they are clearly off the planet ... but from my experience you will find that they then stall and refuse to admit you are correct and they are wrong UNTIL they can get CASA to sign off an amendment to make you wrong ... they did it to me on this section already.

37_Section-9.1.pdf

37_Section-9.1.pdf

37_Section-9.1.pdf

OOPS !!

now I know what I was doing wrong,

I merely clicked on the image attached to Kasper's post and had not read the text which clearly explained what was going on.

My apologies Kasper

many thanks and best of wishes

David H

PS I too just went along with the requested action from Tech.

At a cost of 3 mins with a paint brush compliance was much the preferable action

cf entering into a protracted "discussion"