How often do you fly (post licence)

Hey everyone,

I recently passed my pilot certificate, with X-country and passenger endorsements and am now flying for fun, which is great. But at this point (~45 hours total), I find that if I don't fly every couple of weeks then I don't fly as well...not necessarily big things, but just clarity of radio calls and things like that. I'm sure that with experience this will become easier but I was just wondering: (1) how regularly do you fly, post licence award; and (2) how often at this sort of stage do you/did you fly with an instructor (to polish out errors that are creeping in)? I'm sure a lot of this depends on personal aptitude/confidence, but the issue of regular revision with an instructor interests me.

With so much at stake, I don't think I'd be comfortable flying only once a month, but that's just me. Keen to know what everyone else thinks :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone,I recently passed my pilot certificate, with X-country and passenger endorsements and am now flying for fun, which is great. But at this point (~45 hours total), I find that if I don't fly every couple of weeks then I don't fly as well...not necessarily big things, but just clarity of radio calls and things like that. I'm sure that with experience this will become easier but I was just wondering: (1) how regularly do you fly, post licence award; and (2) how often at this sort of stage do you/did you fly with an instructor (to polish out errors that are creeping in)? I'm sure a lot of this depends on personal aptitude/confidence, but the issue of regular revision with an instructor interests me.

With so much at stake, I don't think I'd be comfortable flying only once a month, but that's just me. Keen to know what everyone else thinks :-)

I always say to new certificate holders that they've now got a licence to learn. It's the time to fly as much as they possibly can to cement the skills they have worked so hard to acquire. I tell them if they get to the airfield and conditions are a bit dicey, try to get in with an instructor to build experience. In my experience flying once a month is not enough to keep progressing, but people may not be able to afford to do more.

• Agree 1

I don't think you can afford to ever stop learning.

I flew nearly 100 hours leading up to my last annual but I did a trip to the Alice which added a fair bit to make that total. I try to do one decent trip each year and I'm sort of hoping I will make it over to the Gascoyne. WA around next August.

It's a long way and a lot of money but if I don't do it soon I'll be too damned old to make it between pee stops.

I've flown in WA before (I lived in the Gascoyne) but never to WA so the learning will start with the detailed planning and ensuring I can obtain fuel all the way around with an endurance of just 210 minutes including reserves.

Kaz

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I recently passed my pilot certificate, with X-country and passenger endorsements and am now flying for fun

Scott

One of the biggest problems is having the cash to be able to go and fly every week if you have the cash and the time then fly as often as you can, if you don't then when you can afford it be honest with yourself and decide if you are current and competent if not grab an instructor (or another pilot who is very current) and go with them for an hour as a refresher don't ever let pride get in the way and you will be well on your way to becoming a better pilot and a long living pilot.

I've done 370+ hours in the last 12 months and if I didn't fly for the next month I would be a little rusty not necessarily unsafe or incompetent but not to the standard I set myself.

Enjoy the journey that is flying.

Regards

Aldo

• Agree 1

There is a need to consolidate at some stage if you want to get to a level beyond just flying around a familiar aerodrome. With a bare certificate you are not anywhere near fully operational. You still have to put in work and it never stops. Work with a group/. Make up a notebook of flying rules that apply to you and enlarge it and keep it updated and be familiar with it. Fly with others when you can and see what people are doing with THEIR planes. Make sure all your info is soundly based. It's not a smoke and mirrors game. Review all your flights as to how they could have been conducted better. Nev

• Agree 1

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies - I'm definitely trying to get up every couple of weeks so hopefully that'll work out ok. Nev i'm interested in what you mean about the notebook of flying rules. Do you mean a set of rules that you place on yourself (human factors-ish), or specific rules that you need to remind yourself when you're flying (more air-law/navigation/safety)? I like the idea of having consolidated relevant information as a reminder so will follow your advice on that :-)

Michael

Michael Just an up to date summary of all the regs that apply to your operation, and the limits, weights and procedures. abnormals and emergencies for the type you are flying . Do quick diagrams of fuel or electical systems, emergency gear extend etc the stuff you should know. Nev

• Winner 1