First Post in Welcome Pilots Just Landed

Dizzynomad

G'day brother.

You must be really special - after I joined I only got a couple of reminders to post an intro, then fortunately the system gave up on me!

Nomadpete

Hi I've been a member since 2008 and I'm sick of being remaindered to post in the Welcome Pilots Just Landed so here it is. A slow learner I guess. I hope it stops from here on in; fingers crossed. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

A very belated 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Dizzynomad.

nomadpete: G'day brother.You must be really special - after I joined I only got a couple of reminders to post an intro, then fortunately the system gave up on me!

Nomadpete

Dizzynomad: Hi I've been a member since 2008 and I'm sick of being remaindered to post in the Welcome Pilots Just Landed so here it is. A slow learner I guess. I hope it stops from here on in; fingers crossed. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

I have Forum-ulated a hypothesis: anyone with nomad in their username are left wandering in the system!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It depends on your interest if you go,to menu then forums you will see lots of sites to view.

One thing for sure is to remember that written text is hard to understand at times, so keep an open mind.

If you are a student pilot you will learn and share your experiences on here with others.

Conclusions seem to be arrived at very early here but in general most people are very informative.

Cheers

Great to have so many international flyers joining Ian's forum. Perhaps you can tell us about some of the interesting aspects of flying in your part of the world. To kick that off, I am inland in eastern Oz and there's been no rain for months. Might not suit the farmers, but perfect flying weather.

I am a student pilot and I began flight lessons after right seating with a pilot I was dating,

He got us caught in rotor winds from North Las Vegas to Lake Tahoe and it was an ordeal. He was an experienced pilot, IA inspector, Ap mechanic and been an airport bum while he worked for Boeing.

The flight: Apparently he was going to beat the monster snow storm before it hit Tahoe with 1963 172 named Foxtrot -with a rebuilt engine and hot exhaust. The storm was to hit in 5 hours and the flight was to be 4. Unfortunately he never filed a flight plan because he was going to be in an area "with no flight following".. As the flight became more turbulent I realized he was scared and fighting to keep the 172 down to 10,000 feet. I had no idea when he wanted the green book and stuff bouncing around. He was trying to get me to find the radio frequency which I had no clue.. I looked at the chart and told him there were two lakes and I would fly the wider canyon if it was me. He flew in the updraft because the downdraft would have been even more difficult, I did not know he was eating through fuel fighting the updraft. When I finally looked at the chart Minden Nevada (sail plane capital - no wonder) had 6 strips to land on. He decided to turn and make it up to our original destination Lake Tahoe. That nearly cist u crashing as the winds were 125 knots beating us down into the treeline backwards with no forward motion. He turned the plane around and tried to call but the radio was knocked out and he had one chance to land. He was right pattern and we missed being struck by a glider tow plane landing by less than ten seconds when it was on final. I later had to go to a dentist as I cracked a tooth from the turbulence and I signed up for lessons in Southern California out of John Wayne SNA . It was very intense landing between commercials every 3 minutes apart and after my second CFI died, they called me Maggie the Bush Pilot from Northern Exposure . I moved back to nce calm Syracuse and my new CFI crashed on a check ride for a doctor who was doing a water landing with his wheels down in the floats. They flipped and the doctor died and the CFI never went back to an airport again. I have had 90 hours of stall training, manuvers etc. and currently looking for a CFI . they just don't last ...so I am looking to buy gas and right seat to get back into it.....

• Like 1

I am a student pilot and I began flight lessons after right seating with a pilot I was dating,He got us caught in rotor winds from North Las Vegas to Lake Tahoe and it was an ordeal. He was an experienced pilot, IA inspector, Ap mechanic and been an airport bum while he worked for Boeing.

The flight: Apparently he was going to beat the monster snow storm before it hit Tahoe with 1963 172 named Foxtrot -with a rebuilt engine and hot exhaust. The storm was to hit in 5 hours and the flight was to be 4. Unfortunately he never filed a flight plan because he was going to be in an area "with no flight following".. As the flight became more turbulent I realized he was scared and fighting to keep the 172 down to 10,000 feet. I had no idea when he wanted the green book and stuff bouncing around. He was trying to get me to find the radio frequency which I had no clue.. I looked at the chart and told him there were two lakes and I would fly the wider canyon if it was me. He flew in the updraft because the downdraft would have been even more difficult, I did not know he was eating through fuel fighting the updraft. When I finally looked at the chart Minden Nevada (sail plane capital - no wonder) had 6 strips to land on. He decided to turn and make it up to our original destination Lake Tahoe. That nearly cist u crashing as the winds were 125 knots beating us down into the treeline backwards with no forward motion. He turned the plane around and tried to call but the radio was knocked out and he had one chance to land. He was right pattern and we missed being struck by a glider tow plane landing by less than ten seconds when it was on final. I later had to go to a dentist as I cracked a tooth from the turbulence and I signed up for lessons in Southern California out of John Wayne SNA . It was very intense landing between commercials every 3 minutes apart and after my second CFI died, they called me Maggie the Bush Pilot from Northern Exposure . I moved back to nce calm Syracuse and my new CFI crashed on a check ride for a doctor who was doing a water landing with his wheels down in the floats. They flipped and the doctor died and the CFI never went back to an airport again. I have had 90 hours of stall training, manuvers etc. and currently looking for a CFI . they just don't last ...so I am looking to buy gas and right seat to get back into it.....

Pilot Romance.......

Ohhh aviation love, what a match made in heaven :)

Man I love aviation !!!

Guess thats why I have been doing it for so long :)

• Informative 1

Robbo

Yes it is romantic that I survived. What and where d you fly?

I used to be a paramedic so I did not scare too easily.

I ride my Clydesdale but my eyes are up every time I hear an engine.

Thanks

Liz

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...

hi

i am new to this forum

i currently hold a ppl and ive done ny cpl theory

i still have many un answered questions... and found this forum with you all to be of great help!

ok here we go.. ma first question:

in regards to stability, what is meant when they say aerodynamic force (tailplane) arrow down mean? is that just weight and giving 0 lift thus the force of its weight?

...in regards to stability, what is meant when they say aerodynamic force (tailplane) arrow down mean? is that just weight and giving 0 lift thus the force of its weight?

While an aircraft is flying, the tailplane is holding the rear end of the plane down. This is necessary because, to be aerodynamically stable, an aircraft needs to be slightly nose-heavy. Is that what you mean?

The Four Forces | How Things Fly

It's usually a downward force other than gravity (aerodynamic). In a conventional plane this means you trim forward as the speed increases. A down force is not efficient as the lift needed from the wings is the same as would be the case if it was added weight but stability in the pitching plane is lost if too much positive lift is provided by the tail. (rearward C of G) The mainplanes have a higher angle of attack than the horizontal stabiliser. The elevators control the pitch adjustments, and the Angle of attack of the mainplanes also. Nev

why isnt it point up for instance?

also in regards to this: Cp is to lift, thrust line is to spinner of the prop, cg is to weight drag line is to what?? thats in regards to couplings in stability

thanks..

Drag line is where it is, and won't stay constant. It certainly doesn't have to go through the centre of gravity. (only the aircrafts mass does that) In level equilibrium flight it (drag) equals thrust.

Drag is usually considered to have two components, one of which relates to lift generation, which we should understand well. Nev