Power output?

Deskpilot

Just look at the engine in this unique 3 wheeler car and suggest it's hp. Wonderful piece of work, up for sale if not already sold. Do you think it could be modified for aircraft use?

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19766/lot/379/?page_anchor=MR1_page_lots%3D71%26MR1_results_per_page%3D5%26MR1_module_instance_reference%3D1

• Like 2

It's probably only about 100 hp. There has been plenty of three cylinder radials made in the early days, but I would like to see more smaller cylinders than 3 big ones for compactness and smoothness. Nev

Just look at the engine in this unique 3 wheeler car and suggest it's hp. Wonderful piece of work, up for sale if not already sold. Do you think it could be modified for aircraft use?

My guess is heavy.....really heavy...

If it's what I think it is, it's pretty solid built...

I'm thinking the machined from solid bar used aluminum, but didn't really thin it out all the way, the external case sides look pretty slabbed flat.

They mention Long Life... not Light and Sporty.

on the Morgan 3 wheelers the engines were V twins some air cooled and some water jacketed. Single driving wheel at the rear and two sprung wheels at the front. Engines used were generally Vee Twins (there was a single)

Roughly in order of production. JAP KTW 1000cc water cooled sidevalve Vee twin

Jap JTOR 1000 cc air cooled OHV Vee twin.

JAP LTOW 1100 cc water cooled OHV Vee Twin

Swiss MAG "F" head 2C OA 1100 water cooled vee twin.

Blackburn KMC 1100cc water cooled vee twin

Precision SV 1100cc Aircooled vee twin

Anzani MZ vee twin liquidcooled

Anzani 8 valve vee twin aircooled

Blumfield SV water cooled vee twin

Matchless MX4 vee twin aircooled OHV Nev

• Agree 1

There was also a Morgan with a Vincent/HRD up front, Nev. Unless that was a bitzer.

Lovely looking things (the Morgans, not that thing in the pic), but quite lethal: driving would have been like one long continuous landing in a tail-dragger (for all the same reasons), plus one touch of those impossible-to-balance rod brakes and round you went anyway. And doubly exciting in the wet!

Great long chain from gearbox to rear wheel, they broke a lot due to snatch with the low revving engines.

Raced for a while at Brands Hatch, but too many accidents.

Bitza. The greatest thing about Morgans ( I had a Super Aero 2 speeder ) was driving on snowed roads, whereby the rear wheel would constantly slide down to the kerb and you drove in a permant side-slip. The Messersmidt was faster, The Isetta more reliable, and the Heinkel most fun....

Mm. Later on they put a conventional engine under the hood: I met someone who had one, he reckoned it was tired and clapped out until one night it suddenly picked up it's heels and gave him about 5 minutes of terrifying performance, ending with a loud bang and silence. Lifting the hood and peering in with a torch, he claimed he could see through what was left of the block to the road. He reasoned that something...loss of oil or cooling...had caused everything to overheat and tighten up, giving him as-new compression for that short but wonderful time.

Hard to say. I'd say the drag would be pretty low, for starters.

But the real horror would be leaving and arriving: since it's clearly a modified tea-wagon, it'll have those little castor things on all 4 legs (rather like Australian shopping trolleys, now I think about it).

So, while one can have as much crab as one wants, it will make no difference at all to the general direction in which one is proceeding....

• Haha 1

The aero Vincent is a "Queen Bee" used for target drone work. The Morgan engines I listed are the ones used by the factory up to about 1931.

There's a lot of Morgan 3 wheeler copies using all kinds of engines Moto Guzzi, Harley etc There are reproduction JAP engines All aluminium air cooled.with dual magneto's and 1200 cc.etc That engine is worth about $20K to buy. I have driven them. I prefer an outfit (Bike and sidecar). .Nev

An outfit. Or combination, as we called them: that would be another exciting way to come unstuck, as i discovered on the night that I lifted the sidecar and the swinger climbed back in...