Mike Mangold dies in L39 crash

Very sad.

A couple of friends flew L39s recently in the states,. . . .£850.00 for around 30 minutes airtime each.

At that sort of cost, you've really got to WANT to do it. . . . .

I won't ask what happened FT,. . .as you would have posted that if it was available.

R.I.P. another aviator.

Reading another news release that the aircraft was a ball of fire before it crashed. Noticed in that photo that the nose gear is still extended. The wreckage looks close to the runway so whatever went wong it seems to be early in the flight. Catastrophic turbine failure maybe.

The L39 at Cessnock was offering 20 min flights for around $1990.00 http://www.jetfighterrides.com.au/pricing/

No civilian maintainers so they are removed.

Sadly in OZ, there are a few civilian ejection seat maintainers, i know of 2 of them, sadly CASA will not allow them to work on Civvie aircraft, so, the seats are removed.. sadly a few deaths already could have been avoided in OZ if they were fitted.

I remember a nasty accident at Canberra in 1993 in a 2 seat Polish Mig 15 went in after a fire destroyed the controls. Ejection seats would have saved them.

Back in my Air force days, gunnies overhauled ejection seats. They come under the umbrella of avionics technicians these days I think. Over the years the discussion has come up in regards to ex military aircraft on the civilian register and their ejection seats being disabled. This has been done because of CASA's stupid regulations. People have died who may have been alive today if the ejection seats were armed.

Here is an idea CASA, potential lives could be saved if RAAF qualified airman could be allowed to overhaul ejection seats on civilian registered jets as long as they have the right equipment and did it on their own time. Ya never know, a life maybe saved.

• Agree 8

I agree-

A waste of lives for a simple solution. A friend is one of the those avionics guys who can do the seats. He is still with RAAF but made redundant and now transferred to being a contractor and looks after batteries all bloody day. A waste of talent and money.

He could do the seats and as a contractor would not fall foul of RAAF.

Typical privatisation crap. Spend a bomb training him, spend a pile making him redundant, and spend a lot more than his wage as a contractor for a foreign firm. All so he can babysit batteries and waste his skills whilst millions are burnt for profit.

Economic irrationalism at work

• Caution 1

I agree-A waste of lives for a simple solution. A friend is one of the those avionics guys who can do the seats. He is still with RAAF but made redundant and now transferred to being a contractor and looks after batteries all bloody day. A waste of talent and money.

He could do the seats and as a contractor would not fall foul of RAAF.

Typical privatisation crap. Spend a bomb training him, spend a pile making him redundant, and spend a lot more than his wage as a contractor for a foreign firm. All so he can babysit batteries and waste his skills whilst millions are burnt for profit.

Economic irrationalism at work

In a lot of scenarios mate, "Sensible" regulation sometimes takes a long time to catch up ( and KEEP PACE WITH ) with technology; . . . an extreme case being the man walking in front of the Horseless carriage holding a red flag . . . .

I remember a nasty accident at Canberra in 1993 in a 2 seat Polish Mig 15 went in after a fire destroyed the controls. Ejection seats would have saved them.

Fuel hose burst; there's a damaged MIG 15 in the Australian War Memorial with the skin missing at that location. The designer located the fuel pump right beside the hottest part of the engine, could have made the suction line slightly longer and those two people would still be alive without an ejection seats, but yes, would have saved them.

I could be wrong but I reckon the jet that does joy flights in Echuca had ejection seats, I think I overheard the pilots briefing passengers on procedures in case of emergencies

I think Mark Pracy does those flights.

15 Minutes = $1500