J160 experience?

Spooks

OK to cut the engine once you are sure you can safely continue with the rollout . Saves considerable distance and minimises possibility of ending up in crocodile infested river ! ..... Bob 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

I have found the 3300 is quite happy with around 850rpm whereas the 2200 needs close to 1000rpm stationary idle.

A contributor from Northern Europe spoke of an EFI-equipped Jab engine idling quite happily at (from memory) 350 rpm. It was in the last year or so but I can't find his post again.

A contributor from Northern Europe spoke of an EFI-equipped Jab engine idling quite happily at (from memory) 350 rpm. It was in the last year or so but I can't find his post again.

Don't even think about EFIing yours, how will the hornet keep up with you then?048_surrender.gif.737a6283dfb1349140cc8b959302f540.gif

Ps does SWMBO know about this:stirrer:

I have found the 3300 is quite happy with around 850rpm whereas the 2200 needs close to 1000rpm stationary idle.

Frank, my J170 was idling when hot at a shade over 1000 and I found I was floating too much. I've had the idle set back to about 900 which has made in my opinion, a difference to the float experience.

I've also found I need to fully close the throttle a little earlier in the flare!

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

Frank, my J170 was idling when hot at a shade over 1000 and I found I was floating too much. I've had the idle set back to about 900 which has made in my opinion, a difference to the float experience.I've also found I need to fully close the throttle a little earlier in the flare!

Only done about 10hrs or so in a J170 so would I would not comment much, can't recall a whole lot of difference to the J230 actually. My comment was mainly about trying to adjust the stationery idle speed. On a couple of friends, 120 & 170, I couldn't get a nice idle as low as I set it on 3300 engines. Certainly the lowest "happy" idle without any tendency to stop on reducing quickly to idle (allowing for differing pilot techniques) is desirable.