Chinese knockoffs

red750

Bex, you may be right about the later Great Walls, but some of the earlier utes we started seeing driving around here a few years ago - well, let's just say whoever designed the styling should have been demoted to mopping the floor. If they've improved a lot, maybe he was.I don't particularly care about anyone copying designs - it's the sincerest form of flattery.

The early Great Wall utes were Nissan Navara D40 utes with new panelling.

In fact you could unbolt Navara panels and bolt them on the GWs, they were so faithful with the licensed body the bolt holes were all in the same places. Not a copy as such, to make foreign cars in China to sell to the Chinese market, any foreign company must have a 51% Chinese owned subsidiary company with tech transfer and upskilling/training systems in place. Nissan and some other Chinese company have 49% and 51% respectively of Great Wall, which lets Nissan make and sell a quota of real Nissans in China. Part of their Tech Transfer was while Nissan made the D44 outside China, Great Wall made the D40 inside.

• Caution 1

Mahindra obviously didn't copy anything. Have you seen one of their utes? Only It's mother would like it. Regarding cars and utes. A Martian wouldn't be able to tell the difference. They are all nearly the same and growing in size and price. Half the populace wouldn't need 4 WD and would bog one in sand within a minute or so anyhow. French cars used to look very different. Have a look at the Citroen Pallas...Nev

• Agree 1

Hey Bex, your profile states "own design and build". You being so pro China are you sure it wasn't a "knock off"

"Pro-China"? Not really, I am actually anti-ignorance, I know a bit about the place and if you make a statement of ignorance about it then I am quite happy to correct it. Not surprisingly I see others living in other countries jumping in to correct ignorant statements made about those regions too, just happens that the greater majority of ignorant statements around on the 'Net are about China, it makes everybody and expert of course as they have read the same dribble over and over, and it gets boring.

China is a wonderful place the same as many other countries where the masses are just going to work, trying to feed their kids while putting a roof over their heads, and finding a little pleasure in life occasionally, the games being played upstairs are bewildering that ultimately cost many lives and hardships for millions of others.

In answer to your question, I don't steal from others, period.

• Like 1

I don't particularly care about anyone copying designs - it's the sincerest form of flattery.

Yup, that's actually pretty close to the mark.

I don't bother getting into explaining the culture side of it, but many Chinese companies that do "copy" often do it in admiration, a concept we don't get as our culture determines that it is not only morally wrong to do so, but we see it as the easy "cheats" way out also and that's generally not in our creed.

Not a copy as such, to make foreign cars in China to sell to the Chinese market, any foreign company must have a 51% Chinese owned

Not "must have", you can be your own (Foreign) company in China, there has never been a restriction on it, but you won't get any of the massive benefits from the State so it's just not worth it.