red750

Some of these are unbelievable.

car-logo-knockoffs.jpg.cb88e21531a31f109b5f152877d13e3e.jpg

1309505737_infinityknockoff.jpe.9dfe58ca5dea8fd110dc9799ce46e7b0.jpe

456627524_mazdaknockoff.jpe.beca7be636a92b083ddd21c6adddd540.jpe

71169509_vwknockoff.jpe.5139f31fbdbfe0d78f27ce6b56805251.jpe

1036338642_obamafriedchicken.jpg.e7de2447fe98663eeaf00cc88eba7972.jpg

Geely-Merrie-300-Mercedes-C-Class.jpg.7d3f47e027e92a5558156ad5a7ddf7d0.jpg

Google Chinese car ripoffs and select Images to see lots more.

• Like 1

Quite like the membrane covered 'opera house' .... might look good in say an ecological park as a tourist centre or a cafe ... but as it IS in an ecological park in China its design might be appropriate rather than a knock off

But it would be built in the finest low-cost factory in China, using the cheapest subcontractors and suppliers, and utilising all the stolen plans! In addition, airworthiness certification would be arranged at low cost! What's with the concern? 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Here are some of the car knockoffs.

Toyota Prada / Dadi Shuttle

785712714_chineseknockofftoyotapradadadishuttle.jpg.515d9b6daed5a38212c6fc04d34ad9a4.jpg

Honda CR-V / Laibao SR-V

301363911_chineseripoffhondacr-vlaibaosr-v.jpg.181f6e2ee8ba7bcd0d72605a5f27714d.jpg

Hummer, Rolls, Merc and cpoies

Chinese-Replica-Cars-hummer-merc.jpg.030868845caf27d3e7b126ee8ea3e8bb.jpg

Range Rover / LandWind

RangeRover-vs-LandWind_0.jpg.312ab287ef66de21f100d47f7be730ad.jpg

SmartCar Four2 and copy.

2010348473_smartcarripoff.jpg.9ddda5b53303afdb935dd23c54343a65.jpg

• Informative 1

The Hummer is actually Legit.

DongFeng licenced the Hummer back before Tienanmen square and even through the US cut ties, Dongfeng already had all the tooling and details to carry on production alone. It's not a reverse engineered clone or cheap copy, but the real thing made on the real tooling for a real army, which just so it happens makes more in the down time between army contracts to sell for a bit of extra cash.

I would rather they knocked off designs, just look at the Great Wall vehicles to see what they've come up with on their own.

Early GW's used Japanese-derived engines. Mine has a Chinese-German designed engine. They seem to have solved most of their early teething problems. Most reports are pretty positive.

GW's use a Mitsubishi engine built under licence.

Haima are semi- Mazda's built under licence.

Mike Wong restaurants, (Wong is a Hong Kong name), are in Switzerland and France, not Asia.

The Smart copy looks nothing like a Smart in real life (yes it looks similar in pictures but it's double the size), nor does the G8 look even remotely like a Benz, or the Dadi .....

Most of those supposed copies are just internet hysteria/propaganda crap and mostly very old cars that aren't even made anymore, but it's true Range Rover are certainly fuming over the Landwind for good reason, that really is a rip-off.

Besides the Landwind and maybe one or two others, the Chinese have moved on from there and have found Italian and other styling houses in recent years.

I would rather they knocked off designs, just look at the Great Wall vehicles to see what they've come up with on their own.

Well you should see a number of new Chinese cars, including GW's, to appreciate where they are at right now, you won't see them on the Internet though, where's the fun in that? And the build quality in some that I've looked at is stunning - mind you, knowing the system here reasonably well I would mention that them maintaining the consistency of quality batch after batch will be a constant PIA for them.

While I might not actually purchase a Great Wall C30, I am utterly impressed by them and the next model or two up from this in the near future will be as good as anything in the World ..

https://www.google.com/search?q=Great+wall+C30&newwindow=1&espv=2&biw=1024&bih=677&site=webhp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjC_uvejqfLAhUJ-2MKHfDmAgUQ_AUIBigB

• Informative 2

Most of those supposed copies are just internet hysteria/propaganda

Hi Bex, Yes, I did get an article on the Yahoo home page which led me to this, then I Googled Chinese knockoffs to get these images. Hummer aside, you have to look at minor details to find a difference on many of them, on first glance at least. As Johnny-on-the-spot, I'll take your word that they are different, but their appearance, and the similarity of the trade mark/logo does appear to be deceptive.

Hi Bex, Yes, I did get an article on the Yahoo home page which led me to this, then I Googled Chinese knockoffs to get these images. Hummer aside, you have to look at minor details to find a difference on many of them, on first glance at least. As Johnny-on-the-spot, I'll take your word that they are different, but their appearance, and the similarity of the trade mark/logo does appear to be deceptive.

Who the frog cares? What are you or anybody else getting out of this story?

So what if some Chinese companies are making some copies of a car and selling them in China, how does that effect you in anyway?

In the meantime Toyota for example make Mercedes Benz copies via the Lexus 400 and sell them world wide, where's your anger? They make a V8 and put it in their stoopidy huge copied SUV/ute, what size? 350 cubes, sound familiar? What about the 2015 Honda Fit sedan and Chev Cruze rear end styling that I can't tell the difference from 100 meters? Not a single mention. Commodore taillights stolen from Benz.

What about the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Chev Cruze and Hyundai Accent of 5 years ago that look identical coming down the road, where's the Internet stories?

On that, here are the 2012 Nissan Ultima, Toyota Camry, Ford Fusion, Hyundai Genesis, Honda Accord, Chev Cruze, Audi A4 and Lexus LS actual silhouettes ..

car-silhouettes.jpg

Where's your outrage?

There are many articles about similarities ..

http://jalopnik.com/5938235/photoshopped-grille-swaps-reveal-how-all-modern-cars-look-the-same/

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/national/separated-at-birth-top-20-car-lookalikes/ss-BB8qwlC#image=1

Do you know that all the major manufacturers go out and buy one of every single new car released and test them, analyse them, tear them down bolt for bolt etc, now why would they do that ...

And lets not even go near the absolutely stuffed American cars of the late 1970's who had to steal/copy every bodies engineering from the rest of the world in the 1980's to get their domestic car market back into shape.

Blah blah ... but some Chinese company takes a minor or major styling cue for their own domestic market and it's all over the net, and for what gain exactly? The Japs don't copy, the Americans don't, the English don't, the Euro's don't, the Koreans don't, yup, only the Chinese (and Russians) copy ...... apparently.

Bigotry through propaganda. There always has to be an enemy. Half of Australians live week to week in a report just released, besides the housing, immigration, medical, manufacturing, etc, crisis ... but hey, it's the Lucky Country, just look at those loser Chinese who can't make a car for themselves, thank goodness I live in Oz.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You probably should avoid the laughter section petal.

Not at all, I enjoy a good laugh.

But- this is a thread on Chinese knockoffs not animal welfare nor politics.

All I see is a video making out Obama as a dog eater- would you have posted that if he was white and a republican or LNP? OR a believer in you sky fairy? I think not.

Bex, who said anything about outrage - this is the laughter forum. Australia had no indigenous car designs for years, primarily because the makers were divisions of overseas manufacturers domiciled in Australia, and of course now, or very shortly, no cars will be made in Australia at all. Amazing that we can't make a car for the masses, but can build a number of aircraft.

All I see is a video making out Obama as a dog eater- would you have posted that if he was white and a republican or LNP?

Obama is more white than black (not that it is relevant at all but everything is about skin colour to lefties) and he ate dog. Read his book. Listen to his words. As do many Chinese (it is a delicacy) so it makes sense to have an Obama Chinese eatery as in #2. Got it now?

Well, I'm not outraged about cars, and I've never eaten a dog.

Can't be bothered about the chinese buying the tooling for last model overseas cars and building them in China... The Kenyans and some South Americans (Brazil? Venezuala?) did it with the Peugeot 504 which was made until 2002 in Kenya and some similar time in South America, despite stopping in the late 70's in France.

As to dogs, I've tried it while in CQ, gamey, reminded me of venison, old chewy trophy buck flavour venison, but with a softer texture, more like normal supermarket beef texture with old stag flavour.

Not a fan of gamey meats, prefer things a bit less sandpapery harsh on the tastebuds.

• Haha 2

The Japs don't copy, the Americans don't, the English don't, the Euro's don't, the Koreans don't, yup, only the Chinese (and Russians) copy ...... apparently.

With my interests and my line of work, I often hear the old Russian copy story. To a large degree, it's an urban myth. Many of the aircraft and engines referred to are actually license build arrangements, and in typical Russian fashion, the originals were improved on.

I think it all started with the Russian use of the Rolls Royce Nene in the MiG-15 prototypes. Britain was hoping for a license deal, but the Russians reverse engineered the RR engines that they had bought, and operated them in different variants in production models. Russia was well on the way to being a leader in aerospace before the war broke out, but that put a lot of research and development on hold to concentrate on the war effort. After the war, Stalin was acutely aware that the West was making advances in jet technology, so a quick catch up plan was hatched. The main thing they realized was that it's a waste of time trying to re-invent the wheel, so 'borrowed ' technology was used to a degree. The copy myth grew from there.

The Russians never copied anything because they were lazy or stupid- it was always for political and technical expediency. If one was to list their firsts in aerospace design and achievements, it would use up a lot of paper.

One example is that the Russians in 1957, pioneered, developed and produced a pressure demand oxygen mask pressure compensating system. The Americans may not have copied it, but it took them an extra 35 years to produce what they call the Combat Edge System for the F-16 and F-15. The Russians had it when FE Holdens were rolling off the showroom floor.

All in all, I'd estimate the copying to be about even on both sides.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Bex, you may be right about the later Great Walls, but some of the earlier utes we started seeing driving around here a few years ago - well, let's just say whoever designed the styling should have been demoted to mopping the floor. If they've improved a lot, maybe he was.

I don't particularly care about anyone copying designs - it's the sincerest form of flattery.