Skyranger - owners and builders impressions

Guest mudjeep

Carbon in the ring grooves will kill them. It doesn't hurt to remove the exhaust and check the rings can be carefully pushed down. Don't run too hot and use a good oil. There's plenty of really good 2 stroke oils around these days. Thats a big help. . There's Nothing fancy about a 582. There would have to be other motors as suitable. Good power for weight but a bit thirsty. Nev

Nothing wrong with a SkyRanger or the host of other similar looking performing aircraft BUT why not look at something that will give you most of the STAL you are after, plus a decent cruise speed. ATEC Faeta  ( I preferer the T tail variant) will give you a 27 knot stall and 34 knot high speed cruise on Rotax 100 hp. Very capable undercarriage will accommodate most paddock conditions (not wombat/rabbit holes).

I flew ATEC's first aircraft, the Zephyr/ Rotax 912ULS,  for 10+ years and about 800hrs - take off on grass uphill with max fuel in under 100 m, land reliably in about 150m, climb out 1500 ft/min- the Faeta is a lot more capable.

I fairly sure that you can purchase the Faeta as avery advanced kit, with your choice of Rotax engine (or find a preloved one) and avionics, to keep the price down.

As of 2022 there have been 1350 Skyranger series aircraft produced, and 350 Nynja’s bring total production to over 1800 which is a testimony to their build and performance plus very robust, easily repaired if ever required and terrific support by factory for everything you may need.  How many Atec's are there in Australia and world wide; they are nice looking however not my choice of aircraft.   

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

I have flown behind rotax 2 stokes for 40 years with zero issues. Keep it jetted correctly and enjoy

Great advise Thruster88, thank you.

3 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

Do you fly out of where the gliding club is?

No, Rangiora

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blueadventures said:

As of 2022 there have been 1350 Skyranger series aircraft produced, and 350 Nynja’s bring total production to over 1800 which is a testimony to their build and performance plus very robust, easily repaired if ever required and terrific support by factory for everything you may need.  How many Atec's are there in Australia and world wide; they are nice looking however not my choice of aircraft.   

All true and I can't explain why the ATEC aircraft have not sold much better.

They are by any standard an outstanding aircraft. Beautiful handling. Great control in X winds. Very low maintenance/running cost due to composite airframe/Rotax engine, Quiet in/out and ergonomic seats & instrument/control lay out.

All I can put it down to is fear of change.

Pilots learn in a type and tend to stick with that.

Cost doesn't seem to be a factor, as a basic Faeta is not so much diffrent to a Foxbat, that it will run rings round. 

If a pilot learns in a high wing he/she will likely favour that configuaraton when it comes to purchase. What they don't realise is that, with the exception of the Pipistrel Virus SW, most high wings seem only able to perform within a narrow operating range. This is fine around the training area but will cost time/fuel (operating cost) if you want to go see Australia.

With the bias comes a lot of urban myth, that further entrenches the bias.

Every ATEC pilot in Australia loves them but this doesn't seem to translate into sales.

1 minute ago, skippydiesel said:

All true and I can't explain why the ATEC aircraft have not sold much better.

They are by any standard an outstanding aircraft. Beautiful handling. Great control in X winds. Very low maintenance/running cost due to composite airframe/Rotax engine, Quiet in/out and ergonomic seats & instrument/control lay out.

All I can put it down to is fear of change.

Pilots learn in a type and tend to stick with that.

Cost doesn't seem to be a factor, as a basic Faeta is not so much diffrent to a Foxbat, that it will run rings round. 

If a pilot learns in a high wing he/she will likely favour that configuaraton when it comes to purchase. What they don't realise is that, with the exception of the Pipistrel Virus SW, most high wings seem only able to perform within a narrow operating range. This is fine around the training area but will cost time/fuel (operating cost) if you want to go see Australia.

With the bias comes a lot of urban myth, that further entrenches the bias.

Every ATEC pilot in Australia loves them but this doesn't seem to translate into sales.

How many in Oz and worldwide?

Hopey, if you haven't come across it yet, you might find this (UK) Wing Nuts YT channel interesting:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

How many in Oz and worldwide?

For Australia I think the total is in the mid teens. NZ (part of Oz😈) has a few as well.

There are a few in N America and many in Europe - possibly several hundred. Used extensively for training, glider tow, personal transport/receraton.

Edited by skippydiesel

4 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

For Australia I think the total is in the mid teens. NZ (part of Oz😈) has a few as well.

There are a few in N America and many in Europe - possibly several hundred. Used extensively for training, glider tow, personal transport/receraton.

Probably just needs a little more advertising and stories.