AVIATION INDUSTRY RALLY - TAMWORTH AIRPORT - Tuesday 12/04/16 @ 11am

cleardot.gif

AVIATION INDUSTRY RALLY - TAMWORTH AIRPORT - Tuesday 12/04/16 @ 11am

eAOPAInformationHeader.141613.jpg

An important message from AOPA Australia ...

WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT

We encourage pilots & aircraft owners to attend.

Please find included in this email a letter which was sent to the Hon Barnaby Joyce MP, with regard to the state of affairs, for small to medium sized aviation enterprise, for the electorate of New England.

There will be a rally/Meeting at Hangar 6, Tamworth Regional Airport, Tamworth NSW 2350, Australia, Tuesday 12th April, 11am-1pm. This event will be attended by:

Mr Benjamin Morgan – CEO of Aviation Advertiser – Australia

Mr Dick Smith AC

Representatives of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA)

Representatives of the Recreational Aviation Australia Inc

Representatives of the AMROBA

Aviation Businesses of the New England Electorate

Private Pilots and Aircraft Owners of the New England Electorate

OBJECTIVE OF EVENT: To communicate to the Australian Government and the electorate of New England the dire state of the small to medium sized aviation industry and the need for immediate and broad regulatory reform (see letter to Hon Barnaby Joyce MP).

This event will be an opportunity for the media within the New England electorate to engage with Aviation Industry leaders and to Q&A them with regard to the dire situation within the small to medium sized aviation industry.

For further information, contact;

Mr Benjamin Morgan

Chief Executive – Aviation Advertiser

Mobile: 0415 577 724

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

8th April 2016

The Hon Barnaby Joyce

Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources

House of Representatives

Parliament House

Canberra ACT 2600

Australia.

The 94,000+ Users of the Aviation Advertiser Network

Dear Minister Joyce,

NEW ENGLAND DEMANDS AVIATION REGULATORY REFORM.

Aviation Advertiser (http://www.aviationadvertiser.com.au) is Australia’s largest online aircraft marketplace and has been operating since 2008. Our digital services are used by over 94,000+ persons across Australia and New Zealand. We provide the Australian aviation industry with aircraft sales, marketing and advertising services.

Aside from our commercial activities within aviation, our organisation also works alongside Australia’s leading aviation associations and peak-bodies. Standing with industry, with regard to leading advocacy and developing regulatory reform.

Aviation Advertiser has recently acquired an airside facility at Tamworth Regional Airport, that forms part of our national aircraft sales, marketing and aircraft maintenance network. We will be working alongside Tamworth Regional Airport and the aircraft owners and pilots of the New England electorate in helping develop regional aviation and employment.

Through the course of normal business, Aviation Advertiser is in direct regular communication with a broad spectrum of aviation users. Students, recreational, private and commercial pilots, private and commercial aircraft owners and aviation businesses. Many of these hard working men and women reside in your electorate, New England.

Constituents whom are desperately concerned for the future of small to medium sized aviation in Australia and for the future of rural communities that depend on their services.

As a result of successive failures by both the Labor and Liberal Governments to implement balanced and appropriate aviation policy over the past 25 years, the aviation industry in Australia has been forced into decline and soon - total destruction.

The cause of the aviation industry’s decline is clear and is virtually unanimously agreed on by Australia’s leading aviation associations, peak-bodies, businesses, pilots and aircraft owners.

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority regulatory framework.

A regulatory framework which has been forced on the Australian aviation industry, with total disregard as to the imposed costs and damage it would inflict on the aviation economy.

If the situation continues without change, CASA will soon have achieved a result, no other aviation regulator in the world would have thought possible. A totally 100% safe aviation industry - whereby nobody flies unless you are a domestic or international airline.

Across Australia private owners, farmers and primary producers are being forced to sell off their aircraft and exit the aviation industry - as a result of excessive compliance costs. The knock on effects now being felt by maintenance providers, fight training schools and support service companies. The economic loss and impact could run as high as $500 million, with thousands unemployed.

Is the destruction of the small to medium sized aviation industry in the interests of Australian Agriculture portfolio or the constituents of New England?

Across regional Australia, local airports are desperate for small to medium sized aviation to connect and service their communities. Local Governments want to see their airports become economic drivers for their shires and regions. Bringing to their communities growth, employment and opportunity.

This will not be possible until the Federal Government comprehensively reforms aviation regulation. Provides an economic pathway for growth and opportunity.

I have now worked as part of the aviation industry long enough to see Ministers come and go. Ministers whom hide behind white paper studies, who refuse to give direct answers to industry and who fail to provide informed policy direction or leadership on the issue of aviation regulatory reform.

Ministers who perceive aviation safety to be a ‘witches brew’, far too complicated to become politically embroiled.

The hard working men and women in the aviation industry in this country deserve better and demand leadership.

I shall be in Tamworth from Monday 11th to 13th April 2016 for a range of newspaper and television media engagements and would like to meet with you to discuss the above. If you could please make time to meet with me, both I and the aviation industry would appreciate it.

In the meantime, if you would like discuss any of the above, please feel free to contact me on 0415 577 724.

Best regards,

BENJAMIN MORGAN

Chief Executive - Aviation Advertiser Digital Group

Telephone: (02) 8215 6292

Mobile: 0415 577 724

Email: [email protected]

Mailing Address:

PO BOX 465

Edgecliff NSW 2027

Australia.

======================================================================

footer181734_2.jpg

Get social... Follow @aopa Australia on Twitter

Our mailing address is:

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association of Australia

PO Box 26

Georges Hall, NSW 2198

Australia

• Like 3

This was also mentioned in the email from RAA today that announced Frank as the nq board member.

I have to be in tamworth after 3 but don't think I can get time to get up there in time to attend.

One would think that those involved in the rural industry in the New England electorate would be strong supporters of General Aviation. After all, who was it that spread their bountied superphosphate in the 50's and 60's which made their profits from wool and meat?

OME

OK, so who was there & how did it go? Anyone able to provide a precis of this event?

I don't know anyone that went Dsam, the notice came too late for me or any other members of our aero club to take the time to go:thumb down:

I would have loved to have gone and could have fitted it in if I had known a day earlier.

• Helpful 1

I don't know anyone that went Dsam, the notice came too late for me or any other members of our aero club to take the time to go:thumb down:I would have loved to have gone and could have fitted it in if I had known a day earlier.

I agree. It would have been so much better if there was a bit earlier notice of this happening. It might have lead to a much larger turnout, for something that is so important to our flying community. Perhaps a press release from AOPA might get some more coverage and enthusiasm for support from the general (non-pilot) community. I've watched the ABC news & news 24 and there was nothing....050_sad_angel.gif.66bb54b0565953d04ff590616ca5018b.gif

• Like 1

Guest Benjamin

Aviation Advertiser is preparing a formal press-release covering the event and outcomes achieved and will post this as soon as possible. The notice for this event was exceptionally short, my apologies to those who would have liked to attend and support and were unable to. There will be further events in the coming weeks, with plenty of upcoming notice!

In the meantime - a quick overview...

Many thanks must go to AOPA, RAAUS, AMROBA and Dick Smith whom attended and stood together in the call for rapid and broad regulatory reform. It was great to see everyone shoulder to shoulder on the call to government.

Thank you Dick for providing transport for the association representatives, it was appreciated and valued.

Media coverage within the New England electorate has been fantastic, with all outlets taking a serious interest in the issues discussed. TV, Newspaper and Radio have all helped elevate the discussion.

We also received the support of a range of pilots, aircraft owners and aviation business owners whom attended from various townships to show support for the call for reform. I am still receiving emails and phone calls offering support from right across the country.

Importantly, a sincere thank you must be given to Hon Barnaby Joyce MP, for taking the time to discuss the issues via telephone (as he was in Western Australia for a cabinet meeting) and for giving a direct undertaking to now move forward with a meeting with the PM in Canberra and a meeting in Tamworth with the Minister for Transport.

I would also like to thank Mr Tony Windsor and his staff, who were in attendance to hear the concerns presented. Mr Windsor spoke briefly in support of the aviation industry. He and his office have invited us to present to them a more detailed submission.

Today was a start and by no means is the end of our efforts to build awareness. Lots of hard-work ahead.

More to come with the press-release tomorrow.

BENJAMIN MORGAN

Aviation Advertiser - Australia

OK, thanks for the update, and keep up with the political pressure at the highest levels IMHO. No point dealing with the bureaucrats in CASA - they're unlikely to change regardless of possible internal (DAS) pressures.

In an election year, the politicians are the weakest link ,when applying pressure for change.

Try to advise/educate the journalists in ABC, too. They seem to have an appetite for tackling corruption, conflict of interest, & uncaring big bureaucracies at present.

Maintain the rage ;-)

• Agree 1

Did not attend the event due to holidays. I understand that this meeting will probably be mainly concerned with regulatory requirements, but I will throw in my two bobs worth because it may have some relevance to any further discussions regarding GA and private aircraft owner operations at Tamworth.

A few years ago, I was involved in a 'consortium' of 10 aircraft owners which attempted to negotiate with Council for the provision of additional hangar space at the airport. My role, apart from being an aircraft owner, was that as a Civil Design consultant I prepared the documentation and design proposals which were submitted to Council.

The basic idea was that the owners would fully fund the construction of the hangars, i.e. no capital outlay from council whatsoever. Council would simply make available the necessary airside space at a nominal rent.

A considerable amount of effort went into this, various options were investigated and costed, but after several years of negotiation to and fro, agreement was not reached because council applied a 'commercial value' to the land which was excessive. So the end result is that nothing happened, several of the original owners have either departed or sold their aircraft, an area of 'commercially valuable' airport land has generated NO income for council and there seems to be a lot fewer aircraft parked airside. Fewer aircraft means less demand for maintenance, flight training etc etc. So in a nutshell, Lose-Lose all round.

I still have all documentation related to this proposal. This may be of no relevance to what is being investigated by AOPA now, but I can make this available if it can be of any help.

If Council is to be involved, all I can say is "Good Luck!" But then again, there have been changes to councillors and staff since, the defence contract with the air academy has been lost, so maybe the powers that be might take GA a bit more seriously now. So it may be worth another try.

• Informative 1

But then again, there have been changes to councillors and staff since

If Taree council is anything to go on, I wouldn't be holding my breath....

There is land around Taree airport that could be developed, Like my site, but the owners of the various lands have not had much luck in trying to rezone or modify usage, so nothing has happened there.

On top of that, the council then decided to develop more hangar space on the airport, and fix various problems with drainage and levels.

I hear the works cost somewhere around the $2.5m, has around 10 sites available but all are priced as mentioned above, as commercial sites, even though many locals have determined that the sites are not really big enough to be effectively commercial;

http://www.aircraftkits.com.au/documents/Taree%20Report%20May2015.pdf

Add to that the fact that the earthworks did little to help the drainage problems, and you begin to wonder if councils have any form of competence...?

Pretty much what was proposed to us. Council ultimately offered to construct the hangar itself, and charge an exorbitant rent per aircraft space. It is amazing how much more things cost when they are undertaken by a government organisation, probably because of quality control and significant official oversight!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Scrubby

Interesting reading all this stuff with councils. Don't come to Coffs Harbour then ! Locals here are

parking their aircraft in nearby towns such as Kempsey and South Grafton, as they can't afford the costs

the council imposes for leasing hangar sites, plus landing costs and Tower fees. From a once thriving GA aviation airport where there

was plenty of training and tourism, pilots now fly over or around to avoid the place. It's like a morgue at the airfield.

So sad to see. GA aviation used to be great until councils took over control with no idea at all what aviation was about. Here they

think they are going to make it an international airport ! Ha Ha ... Shows what ridiculous mentality there is there. For a start

who would want to fly in from overseas and land in Coffs ? I am sure the Fed's would never be setting up customs to accommodate

that. If Malcom wants to save money in the next budget they could take or close the tower here and save around 5 million a year.

Complete and unnecessary waste of money !

I looked in at the second aviation rally at Tamworth last friday, and as expected it did not relate to these type of local issues (lots of passion though, and very loud, clear messages delivered to the government and CASA representatives about the effects of the current regulatory regime). Interestingly though, there are reports that our council is considering the sale of part of the airport property for the possible use as an airpark type development. It will be interesting to see where this goes.