What does your Savannah weigh?

fallowdeer

For a polished aluminium finish I have seen this:Stewart Systems. EverShield Protective Finish

but can't seem to buy it anywhere.

What type of licence do you need for the CS-LSA in France? It would be so much better for all if we could harmonise across the world...

You need a ppl licence.

But You cannot take off from a private field like an ultra Light, and also lsa are certified aircraft.

Regarding paint Weight it seems to be between 7 and 10 kg for a sav

You need a ppl licence.But You cannot take off from a private field like an ultra Light, and also lsa are certified aircraft.

Thanks I think I know now, we considered doing the half way house licence but it seems to give you all the extra costs of PPL with non of the advantages of ULM. I would just like to see a stricter training method for ULM and a relaxing of the MTOW to say the 600kg, if your plane can take it.

As for paint weight I have just had a go at spraying and have made all the usual mistakes so I think I will either not do any painting of the unseen areas or find a way to Aldine.

You need a ppl licence.But You cannot take off from a private field like an ultra Light, and also lsa are certified aircraft.

Hi erd, are you able to tell me where the figure of 7 to 10kg comes from?

I do not disagree with this: I ask because I searched for paint weights some time ago, and apart from figures from stripped fabric aircraft (like planesmaker, above) was able to turn up very little clear information.

Has anybody ever tried or considered self-adhesive film. The stuff the use for car wrapping. I know of a german company with an all aloy breeser.

BREEZER AIRCRAFT. Foliation

It must not be the print version for me, but it should be quick an easy to have a two color finish that way.

Friend of mine is a professional in this area. He is making and applying foils to street trains and busses.

So I might try.

• Like 1

the one erd72 is talking about is mine now : 286kg without paint wth MGL avionics (3), parachutePerhap replacing my brackets by Mike's will gain any grammes ? 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

Dan

Thanks, Dan...that is certainly an unusually low weight.

So, how do you know paint is 7 to 10kg?

The bracket will not add any weight its the same.

I really dont know how you can get a S version to that sort of weight. Even without the paint. Lithium battery will save about 5 or 6 kg and keeping the small tyres but then your adding 13 odd kg in a parachute as well.

A link to know (but in french)

ULM Actualité » Construction amateur » Comment peindre et calculer le poids de la peinture de mon Ulm

EN CONCLUSION : 1m2 de peinture de type automobile en brillant direct (sauf le blanc coef 1,25), pour 60 microns (épaisseur utile), pèse 66g environ.

If you know the surface : 1m² = 66grams

Dan

• Informative 1

A link to know (but in french) ULM Actualité » Construction amateur » Comment peindre et calculer le poids de la peinture de mon Ulm

EN CONCLUSION : 1m2 de peinture de type automobile en brillant direct (sauf le blanc coef 1,25), pour 60 microns (épaisseur utile), pèse 66g environ.

Dan

Thanks. An interesting article.

A link to know (but in french)ULM Actualité » Construction amateur » Comment peindre et calculer le poids de la peinture de mon Ulm

Dan

By my rough calculations, the outside of the Savannah is 45m².

At 66gm/m² that's 45 x .066 = 3kg per coat.

If applied at 60microns, and assuming the paint weight figures in the article are correct.

These sort of figures are always going to be an approximation, but I find that a useful number. Thank you.

most recent reweigh, a few months ago, after removing steam gauges, to replace them with Ipads and AHRS units, removing firesleeve fuel lines for braided steel fireproof lines, replacing a lot of fuel line fittings with aluminium alloy, and repainting. we only have 3 tanks, not the usual 4. and including the weight of the slick bushwheels.

final weight empty = 285Kg.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Hope you didnt use 3 bathroom scales? Like most do..they are so inconsistant and usually quite a long way out

we used bathroom scales, but calibrated them with known weights before use. so were only out by 2 kg, which was then factored into calculations.

The problem with bathroom scales is any sideload they read out badly. When using bathroom scales you need to put know weights close to what you expect to be on them so you do know that accuracy but the killer is you cant lift the plane onto them as this puts side loads on the load cell which makes them quite inaccurate. You need to have ramps in front of the scales and roll the plane onto the scales as this does not put any sideload onto the load cell

I am lucky my guy has proper scales used for weighing race cars they dont have that issue and are super accurate..then again I think its about 5K for a set of 4

60 microns is a really low thickness, that's true for cars painted by 6 axles robots, but for a sav it is much better, without any doubt at least twice for the factory savannah... And the color and the paint (powder / liquid / epoxy and so on) have a direct weight impact.

The 7 to 10 kg comes from a comparison between 3 different sav (not painted / painted gray / painted blue by the owner) with similar equipment (radio + tx Funkverk, std dashboard, junckers parachute and 8x6 tires).

By my rough calculations, the outside of the Savannah is 45m².At 66gm/m² that's 45 x .066 = 3kg per coat.

If applied at 60microns, and assuming the paint weight figures in the article are correct.

These sort of figures are always going to be an approximation, but I find that a useful number. Thank you.

60 microns is a really low thickness, that's true for cars painted by 6 axles robots, but for a sav it is much better, without any doubt at least twice for the factory savannah... And the color and the paint (powder / liquid / epoxy and so on) have a direct weight impact.The 7 to 10 kg comes from a comparison between 3 different sav (not painted / painted gray / painted blue by the owner) with similar equipment (radio + tx Funkverk, std dashboard, junckers parachute and 8x6 tires).

Then there is the primer which may weigh 2 or 3 kg as well. The total weight may be:

2 kg primer

9 kg top coat (three thin coats of paint)

This equates to a total of 11 kg.

I read a post a few years ago (which I cannot find now) that a Zenith CH701 builder weighed their aircraft before and after three coats of paint and the difference was 22 lb (close to 10 kg). It seems as if 10 kg is about right for a Savannah.

• 3 weeks later...