Starting my Cross Country Endorsement tomorrow

With my head still spinning from studying the XC manual (Dyson Holland), I start with 2 hours of class room training tomorrow. I'm excited. I'm really looking forward to flying outside the 25nm restriction!

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 6

Good luck Tony I am sure you will find it fun, I just received the same XC manual in the mail yesterday so I will be staring mine very soon as well....you never know mate we may cross paths out there somewhere?

David

• Agree 2

Enjoy - Navs are easy - don't sweat - keep Australia on your left and you are heading north. Don't even need maps -(smile)

Sorry - For all those that are on east coast before someone jumps on this.

Just sat a 4 hour Nav classroom session, a lot to take in.... anyway, I have my first NAVEX next Monday. Apparently its low stress, but I don't know about that.... all good though

Cheers,

Tony

Good luck Tony I am sure you will find it fun, I just received the same XC manual in the mail yesterday so I will be staring mine very soon as well....you never know mate we may cross paths out there somewhere?David

I'm not sure how you go with study, David, but there's quite a lot to digest in that manual. May I suggest that you get into the manual from cover to cover, before you tackle the XC training. In the meantime, after you pass your RPC tomorrow, I would suggest you enjoy flying within the 25nm zone for a while. It is quite a large area, so there is heaps to explore, not to mention you will be honing those pilot skills that you have just learned close to home, whilst building your experience and confidence. I've been getting a lot out of practicing some of the XC principles within that area. This may also be a good time to get your PAX endorsement, it is fairly low stress training. Then you will be better prepared when you start the XC training. For me, the break from flight training was good. Maybe I'm just a bit thick and find some of the concepts of the XC a little more challenging than I originally thought, there is a lot to get your head around, but I think that my "not rush it approach" is paying dividends for me now my training has commenced. In saying that, I know different people learn at different rates, so if you are up to the challenge of competing your XC at a much faster pace, forget all I've said here, all the best and hope all goes well, plus ol' thickie here may be asking you some NAV related questions.compress.gif.fe2f1703f181408c4947cc1d378facee.gifinsane.gif.b56be3c4390e84bce5e5e6bf4f69a458.gif

Cheers,

Tony

Enjoy - Navs are easy - don't sweat - keep Australia on your left and you are heading north. Don't even need maps -(smile)Sorry - For all those that are on east coast before someone jumps on this.

I'd love to agree with you SSCBD, and I guess with time, practice and experience I will eventually agree with you..... The whole thing is still awesome though! I'm having a lot of fun learning all these new things!

I'm not sure how you go with study, David, but there's quite a lot to digest in that manual. May I suggest that you get into the manual from cover to cover, before you tackle the XC training. In the meantime, after you pass your RPC tomorrow, I would suggest you enjoy flying within the 25nm zone for a while. It is quite a large area, so there is heaps to explore, not to mention you will be honing those pilot skills that you have just learned close to home, whilst building your experience and confidence. I've been getting a lot out of practicing some of the XC principles within that area. This may also be a good time to get your PAX endorsement, it is fairly low stress training. Then you will be better prepared when you start the XC training. For me, the break from flight training was good.Maybe I'm just a bit thick and find some of the concepts of the XC a little more challenging than I originally thought, there is a lot to get your head around, but I think that my "not rush it approach" is paying dividends for me now my training has commenced. In saying that, I know different people learn at different rates, so if you are up to the challenge of competing your XC at a much faster pace, forget all I've said here, all the best and hope all goes well, plus ol' thickie here may be asking you some NAV related questions.compress.gif.fe2f1703f181408c4947cc1d378facee.gifinsane.gif.b56be3c4390e84bce5e5e6bf4f69a458.gif

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Tony,

Once I get my RPC tomorrow (being positive) I will get straight into XC... to get to this point it has taken me a long time because of work and life in general and now that I own my plane I just want to get on with it, I have on 2 hours left to do before I can get me PAX endorsement so I will knock them off pretty quickly, which will be great but first things first...certificate tomorrow.

David

Good Luck Tony,"Don't forget to enjoy the new found freedom / new scenery as well "

Brent

Will do Brent.... I wonder where we are going on Monday? Early start to do all the planning, he wants me there 630am so we can be in the air at about 9 .

Love it, Maps, ruler, protractor, Wizz wheel computer with wind calculated, stopwatch, pencils, rubber, Highlighter, fuel caculations, weather reports, notams - in different pockets, attached to kneepad. Flying along juggling the lot when you hear the instructor request a diversion to different Airport AND still fly the Plane.038_sweat.gif.5ddb17f3860bd9c6d8a993bf4039f100.gif One flight I dropped the ruler under the seat and hand to land to find it.

• Like 2

Just watch out for those little restricted zones (when active) and CTA that instructors like to take you in or make you flight plan without saying anything. Also we like playing with students heads, with using your 45mins fuel reserve. End of daylight and diversions to other strip on route, which can use the last two as well. But enjoy its all fun and will fall into place.

• Like 1

Hi Tony,Once I get my RPC tomorrow (being positive) I will get straight into XC... to get to this point it has taken me a long time because of work and life in general and now that I own my plane I just want to get on with it, I have on 2 hours left to do before I can get me PAX endorsement so I will knock them off pretty quickly, which will be great but first things first...certificate tomorrow.

David

You will get it tomorrow, David, Mahl wouldn't be sending you up if you were not ready for it, so don't stress and enjoy the flight. The PAX endo is easy, just remember your emergency procedures and BE the PIC. Just follow the PAX briefing.

The beer is already in the fridge ready to give a hearty "Cheers!" and "Congratulations" to a brand new certified pilot!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Oh and if you do run into those pesky control zones and get called up on the radio by ATC - best excuse back to ATC is THE CFI APPROVED THE FLIGHT PLAN AND SENT ME. Then let the CFI deal with those strange phone calls and reports.

• Haha 1

Just watch out for those little restricted zones (when active) and CTA that instructors like to take you in or make you flight plan without saying anything. Also we like playing with students heads, with using your 45mins fuel reserve. End of daylight and diversions to other strip on route, which can use the last two as well. But enjoy its all fun and will fall into place.

Yes, I already have a bit of experience with the AMX restricted zones.... I am enjoying it a lot, but it's a bit of information overload at the moment

Love it, Maps, ruler, protractor, Wizz wheel computer with wind calculated, stopwatch, pencils, rubber, Highlighter, fuel caculations, weather reports, notams - in different pockets, attached to kneepad. Flying along juggling the lot when you hear the instructor request a diversion to different Airport AND still fly the Plane.038_sweat.gif.5ddb17f3860bd9c6d8a993bf4039f100.gif One flight I dropped the ruler under the seat and hand to land to find it.

Thanks Cosmic, now my head hurts again, but yes, it's a whole lot of fun.

Oh and if you do run into those pesky control zones and get called up on the radio by ATC - best excuse back to ATC is THE CFI APPROVED THE FLIGHT PLAN AND SENT ME. Then let the CFI deal with those strange phone calls and reports.

Nope, that is a bad excuse. Just dont let it happen in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Nope, that is a bad excuse. Just dont let it happen in the first place.

Hey Pearo - no sense of humor - you must be a grumpy old bastard or will be, like most 182 drivers.

• Like 1

I'm guessing, the way my CFI would deal with that strange situation is to fail me. I have no intention of doing that.

I'm guessing, the way my CFI would deal with that strange situation is to fail me. I have no intention of doing that.

Nightmare - My comment was tongue in cheek. Sometimes people just need to relax and smile. Flying RAA is for fun not commercial unless Flying training school. Its not a commercial licence you are going for and flying a A380 with 500 people on board.

Just to be clear any CFI that did send you into CTA on purpose or did not correct your flight plan for a student Nav RAA cert would be shredded.

• Agree 2

Just sat a 4 hour Nav classroom session, a lot to take in.... anyway, I have my first NAVEX next Monday. Apparently its low stress, but I don't know about that.... all good thoughCheers,

Tony

Hi Tony just pm'ed my xc study notes. I did them before I sat the exam. They should be of assistance. As they were prepared before I sat the exam there is no hits or assistance in the notes. Enjoy the study and flights as when done it'll free you up to plan flights further afield. Cheers

Mike

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

Enjoy - Navs are easy - don't sweat - keep Australia on your left and you are heading north. Don't even need maps -(smile)Sorry - For all those that are on east coast before someone jumps on this.

SSCBD

I imagine if Aust is on your left and you are heading north you will be on the best side of Aust (east coast)haha

Aldo

SSCBDI imagine if Aust is on your left and you are heading north you will be on the best side of Aust (east coast)haha

Aldo

Is that accounting for magnetic variation???017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

It sounds more like deviation to me. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

My aid memoir for the hemispherical rule for altitude selection is to remember that the ODD people are in the EAST.

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Agree 2
  • Haha 2

Is that accounting for magnetic variation???017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

Nightmare like your new found knowledge -Now for practical - Lets see how well you hold a heading and height by hands on flying, and no cheating with autopilot, and in turbulence and doing all the maps and radio changes and radio procedures and don't forget to change fuel tanks if in a left or right tank only aircraft, like the "ands".

And because we fly for fun I always like the best scenic route with the coast as it has plenty of doglegs blows my PAX away seeing Australia the way we do and not a 45,ooo ft. Inland is fun too. Enjoy your Navs and don't stress.