Hours for License?

You can always mount it a bit closer to the front. Again depends on the plane you end up flying! You could even go the head strap. I find that even with the instructor I can still see enough, there's a few other videos on my you tube channel with the instructor. Anyway you're learning VFR you don't need to much reference to instruments. It's more helpful just having the video to jog your memory. I usually watch my last flight the night before my next lesson.

Forget the go pro and everything else just go learn to fly, listen to what your instructor has to tell you and go from there. It will take you as long as it takes it is not a race. Enjoy the learning and do everything you can to be the best pilot you can be, you might find it is not all about manipulating the controls.

Aldo

• Agree 5

Then there's the other end of the scale started in 1976 and hope to have my Raa cert.by christmas

It sounds as if you have been going around in circles for years, you need to get your foot off that Right Rudder' 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan.

• Haha 1

Deep! Didn't read much into it at first.How do you like the 160? Do you own or that's what you're practising in every decade or so? 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Hi stickshaker,long story but will keep it short

Started in a 150 back when training was $25 per hour

Met a girl had kids banned from any thing dangerous

Kids grown up and gone restarted in lsa55

Wife diagnosed with cancer flying put on hold

Wife currently free of cancer so on her instructions purchased the 160 and love it

Have around 15 hrs it it so far

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

With the GoPro, do you need to bring your own mount? How does that work with say, top wing vs canopy style plane? Would an old iPhone do it? (given I assume it's more about the content then the quality)That's the plan, without having actually started it's hard to say, I imagine 3 hrs/flying a week is probably a good amount. Any more and it probably won't get absorbed as well, less is fine to an extent but it will get into 'having to relearn' territory.

Good to hear there's not much extra, must have been RPL people were spending 100 odd hours on.

When you go for your TIF, ask your instructor about mounting requirements for your Go Pro in that particular plane. They have to comply with CASA regulations, so it is better to ask before you invest in a mount which may be totally unsuitable or illegal to mount.

• 4 months later...

As an update to this; got my pilot cert today. Around 32 hrs of flying, and it's taken 3 months at pretty much the fastest pace I could do - weekends nearly always booked (or hungover and can't fly...), then instructor off for 2 days, and to fit around work want early morning or late afternoon. Plane was serviced I think twice so that wiped out a week or so, thankfully only a handful of rainy days.

All up approx:

32 hrs of flying

32 hrs of driving (30 mins each way)

20 hrs of study. Probably 600 pages worth, so I still could re-read them another few times and still not remember it all

4 hrs of exams

So around 100 hrs over 3 months which is ~8 hrs a week. Certainly a bit more than the 25 hrs on the RAAus brochure...

Yep, and it is a minimum not a 'this is what it'll take', however it's certainly a LOT longer 'all included time' than I expected. I doubt I could have done it faster and it still took 3 months to complete.

Despite passing the test I still have at least 5-10 hrs worth of dual stuff I still want to do - busier airport, going into different frequency areas, doing circuits at an unfamiliar airport, doing a scenic route, dealing with varied traffic (there is a 737 that comes into nearby town. Sure I may have right of way but a dick move pulling out at 60 knots in front of him, so how do I handle), testing the effects of things further like going straight to full flap, dumping all flap and watching the airspeed and altitude effects, practicing short takeoffs and landings - all I can remember off the top of my head, there's plenty more!

Then add to that passenger & nav endorsement... certainly a lot still to go despite the license.

Btw I like your signature :D

• Like 1

I did mine with multiple flights per week and took the minimum hours.... I think having them back to back is a huge advantage. But I also did a lot of rehearsing things on the ground... mental imagery...you can learn a hell of a lot about the procedural stuff without ever taking off. Eg your positional radio calls, your responses, all your checks. You can also rehears landing issues, as long as you have a clear visual picture of the issues and solutions.

As an update to this; got my pilot cert today. Around 32 hrs of flying, and it's taken 3 months at pretty much the fastest pace I could do - weekends nearly always booked (or hungover and can't fly...), then instructor off for 2 days, and to fit around work want early morning or late afternoon. Plane was serviced I think twice so that wiped out a week or so, thankfully only a handful of rainy days.All up approx:

32 hrs of flying

32 hrs of driving (30 mins each way)

20 hrs of study. Probably 600 pages worth, so I still could re-read them another few times and still not remember it all

4 hrs of exams

So around 100 hrs over 3 months which is ~8 hrs a week. Certainly a bit more than the 25 hrs on the RAAus brochure...

Its 25 hours logged flight time

• Like 2

I did mine with multiple flights per week and took the minimum hours.... I think having them back to back is a huge advantage. But I also did a lot of rehearsing things on the ground... mental imagery...you can learn a hell of a lot about the procedural stuff without ever taking off. Eg your positional radio calls, your responses, all your checks. You can also rehears landing issues, as long as you have a clear visual picture of the issues and solutions.

Its 25 hours logged flight time

Couldn't agree more. The more time you put in away from the aircraft the less time you need to do in it. It's disappointing for an instructor when the student rocks up not having opened the books or seriously thought about flying since the last lesson, and so refreshing when you get the opposite.

• Agree 1

When I learned people went solo in 8 hrs average.

Full ppl possible in 40hrs but usually 50.

A big fat head and really just starting to learn.

Test flying your own scratch built is

learning no matter how many hrs or years.

Chas

• 3 weeks later...

Back in 1985-86 Went Solo in 9 hours, License at 40hrs over 11 months. Had 2 great Instructors in Alex Hood & John Willis. Cessna 172 back then was around the $110 per hour dual, about $90 solo.

Probably the quickest way to a PPL was an intensive program I underwent in 1974 as an Air Cadet living on the base at CFB Penhold in Alberta, Canada, using the old training resources of the Commonwealth Air training program (where in WWII many ANZAC & UK pilots trained).

It was a 4 week program in mid-summer. Each weekday had at least 3 hours of ground school (Theory of flight, Airframes & designs, Aero Engines, Meteorology, Air Regulations, Radio, Cross Country Navigation, etc. etc.). Weather permitting, each weekday also had a pre-flight training plan, followed by an airborne component. In poor weather it was more ground school, or exams.

For me, this flying was done in a Cessna 150, and I went solo at 10.5 hours. Including the dual hours, my logbook shows a total of 36 airborne hours to complete my PPL with a cross-country endorsement.

I probably had an advantage, since 2 years earlier I did much the same process to get my Canadian Glider Pilot’s License at the same venue, so I had plenty of prior experience in the local area, and with pre-existing stick & rudder skills (both with aerotow & winch launches).

I’m glad I did it early in life, as those early lessons stick with me at all times when airborne. Had I tried to learn it all later in life, around family commitments & working life, it would have much different, and much slower overall, I’m sure.

My advice… Just be patient and keep the training work as frequent as possible, so you retain your experience into each subsequent lesson.

Cheers Robbo, Alex was an awesome Pilot & Instructor, Some of the aircraft mentioned in first student Bio ,EUi, UGO & MOI I trained in. The Airtourer MOI I did Type Rating after Licensed, Loved that Plane & found the 172 a little boring to fly after, Noticed that MOI is now based on the Goldcoast and currently for sale. You from the Valley area Robbo? cheers

Thinking back on some of the characteristics of the C-172 and the Cherokee 140 I am realising how lucky I was to have been able to access the DHC-1 Chipmunk as an ab initio trainer. Have to be about one of the best planes around at the time, for a trainer. Pretty much phased out 3 years later along with the DH82 being removed as a primary trainer.( early 60's) Made no sense to me at the time but COST and age and I suppose a LITTLE pressure from the big 3 US manufacturers made taildraggers more weird than the norm. No more spinning, etc. I still think we lost something there that only a few schools cover today. We should support them so they don't die out. Nev

• Agree 1